Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

It's happening! It's really happening! :D

http://line6.com/news/general/1433

With all-new Variax HD technology, James Tyler Variax provides instant access to a huge collection of HD guitars with unprecedented depth, character and detail—making it the ultimate recording guitar.

Variax HD Upgrade
This free upgrade delivers a world-class collection of HD guitars rebuilt from the ground up using Line 6’s next-generation HD modeling technology, resulting in unprecedented sonic character and a more natural playing experience. From rare vintage electrics to classic acoustics and exotics, each HD instrument delivers superior articulation and exceptional feel—perfect for capturing inspired performances.

All-New Workbench HD Software
The all-new Workbench HD software makes it possible to build one-of-a-kind custom guitars by combining the HD body styles, HD pickups and components in unique ways. Featuring an intuitive, easy-to-use interface, Workbench HD provides full control over scores of important instrument characteristics such as string pitch, string volume, pickup position and much more. Workbench HD also lets you select any Variax pickup model and use it with the natural tone and response of your physical James Tyler Variax guitar—or blend the Variax HD signal with the magnetic pickup sound to create hybrid instruments.

The Ultimate Recording Guitar
Recording guitarists have always had to contend with the challenges of selecting the right guitar for the right tones, tuning/retuning issues, pickup noise in the studio, mics and mic preamps for acoustic guitars, and more. James Tyler Variax eliminates these problems—so you can concentrate on nailing your performance.

• Free Variax HD upgrade features an extensive collection of HD guitars, so you can record with a palette of the world’s greatest instrument sounds.
  • With a world-class collection of HD acoustic guitars and exotic instruments, you can record acoustic tracks with pristine sound quality—without ever having to set up a microphone or a mic preamp.
  • With virtually limitless alternate tunings, you can easily switch between tunings while tracking.
  • The HD guitar tones in James Tyler Variax are completely free of pickup noise, so you can capture pristine takes without hum.
  • With James Tyler Variax, there’s no need to interrupt the creative flow by finding, tuning and acclimating to the feel of a new instrument. You can easily switch between HD guitars and tunings just by turning the model knob—enabling you to stay in the moment.

The Variax HD upgrade and Workbench HD software are compatible with all James Tyler Variax guitars. Download the updates from Line6.com.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

i'd double check connections and usb ports...

the new version of workbench is way improved... although i wish the pods worked now... but that's coming.....

Hmm, this is great news. Problem is, the usb-connection-box that came with my variax does not seem to work right. The PC finds it but Workbench HD cannot find the variax. :(

Thanks for the quick answer. The green light (usb-side) is constantly on but there is a red light blinking on the vdi-side.

Monkey found the USB deviced and even let me update the Firmware (though the version was the same). Maybe the VDI cable is the problem but I just tested it with my hd 500.

i'd double check connections and usb ports...

the new version of workbench is way improved... although i wish the pods worked now... but that's coming.....

Sweet - to my ears, the 12 strings sound WAY better.  Thanks Line6!

BTW, everyone may know this already, but it was news to me.  You need to plug a 1/4 inch cable into your Variax when using the Variax USB interface via VDI - which Variax Workbench HD requires.  Without the 1/4 plugged in, the variax won't power on.  First time I needed to do this as I usually access the Variax through the HD500(x now) USB.  

• Upvote 2

I like the old modeling better. :angry:

HA! They are doing some electrical work here at the moment and I am afraid to do the update until they are finished, don't want to lose power in the middle of it and brick my JTV.

Looking forward to reviews here!

Hmmmm, just noticed "Workbench HD does not support computer connections via POD HD devices."

Looks like I will finally have to open up the accessories that came with the guitar and charge the battery... boo...

the variax cable included in mine never worked right at all... so i just used an ethernet cable to do the update... 

(and the 1/4" plugged in is a good tip too... volume dialed up... basically guitar needs to be turned on)

Thanks for the quick answer. The green light (usb-side) is constantly on but there is a red light blinking on the vdi-side.

Monkey found the USB deviced and even let me update the Firmware (though the version was the same). Maybe the VDI cable is the problem but I just tested it with my hd 500.

aaaah THX that solved my problem!! I think that Information should be found in Workbench HD

Sweet - to my ears, the 12 strings sound WAY better.  Thanks Line6!

BTW, everyone may know this already, but it was news to me.  You need to plug a 1/4 inch cable into your Variax when using the Variax USB interface via VDI - which Variax Workbench HD requires.  Without the 1/4 plugged in, the variax won't power on.  First time I needed to do this as I usually access the Variax through the HD500(x now) USB.  

So, to get this straight... We can't use the POD500 to update the JTV or does this only pertain to the Workbench application?

Ed.

I like the old modeling better. :angry:

HA! They are doing some electrical work here at the moment and I am afraid to do the update until they are finished, don't want to lose power in the middle of it and brick my JTV.

Looking forward to reviews here!

Hmmmm, just noticed "Workbench HD does not support computer connections via POD HD devices."

Looks like I will finally have to open up the accessories that came with the guitar and charge the battery... boo...

• Upvote 1

you can use the 500, 500x, or pro (or pretty much any variax enabled pod) to update... only workbench has the issue.

So, to get this straight... We can't use the POD500 to update the JTV or does this only pertain to the Workbench application?

Ed.

Exotic instruments or just updated banjo's, sitars etc?

Same instruments (except for the Tele) - just modeled in a more awesome and HD way... B)

Sorry, no sackbuts or heckelphones...

Just updated my JTV59 through the HD Pro on Vista 64bit...Works Great....Love the new HD models....HD workbench is beautiful compared to the previous windows 98 looking software.

Any chance of adding custom HD models to customtone.com?

Thank you to everyone at Line6 that worked on this well worth the wait!

Thank you Zap!  I never got the JTV usb hub/device to correclty install on my computer or for both sides/lights to go green. It sounds like the 1/4" jack fix is the key.  I have been using the 500 as the usb interface for the JTV since I got my JTV last month.  I guess I have to get it setup or I can't use workbench anymore. (not that I did anything in workbench anyway)

you can use the 500, 500x, or pro (or pretty much any variax enabled pod) to update... only workbench has the issue.

Ok, now that I got that usb box to work I can connect to Workbench HD. Next problem: The usb-box does not seem to power the JTV, mags are working, variax part isn't. Seems like I have to use the battery that is currently not loaded. Hmm, maybe it's just me but having to use the usb box instead of my POD HD 500 brings nothing but problems to my "dream rig". Have to wait some hours until the battery is loaded to test the new stuff.

you're correct... usb interface does not power guitar...

and it is kind of a hassle... but all new JTV's shipped with it, and it's a better option than holding back the update until all the pods are working....

pod access will surely be added....

Ok, now that I got that usb box to work I can connect to Workbench HD. Next problem: The usb-box does not seem to power the JTV, mags are working, variax part isn't. Seems like I have to use the battery that is currently not loaded. Hmm, maybe it's just me but having to use the usb box instead of my POD HD 500 brings nothing but problems to my "dream rig". Have to wait some hours until the battery is loaded to test the new stuff.

To clarify... the tele was just modeled from a different model than the old models...

but yes... all of the new models sound way more dynamic... and the difference between the models is now alot more noticeable IMO

OHHH! MAN!!! I'm at work! Be home in 30 minutes to check it out! The teles' are way better? And the others...??? I'm soooo exited... I mean excited! LOL

The LP is a revelation.

ALL of the guitars are "way mo betta" -- I especially like the changes to the Tele, the Les Paul, and the 335. The jury's still out about the Silver Jet -- might just be me, but it seems way darker.

Same instruments (except for the Tele) - just modeled in a more awesome and HD way... B)

Sorry, no sackbuts or heckelphones...

So they modeled a different Tele this time? Any info on it? (Please say it is the one at around 6:35-8:32 in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YB9EX7YpFk ).

I see the R'Billy model is now called Jetliner and not Silver Jet, did they model a different guitar than the original for this one too?

Also, any info on whether the new Strat LP etc models were done with the exact guitar they used the first time around, or just one of similar make model and year?

the models should be the same except as noted below.

Guys im realy excited, where do i see the list of all models?

he Tele bank is not the same as in the original variax (and JTV).

The “Mud cap†wiring modeled in position 4 previously is no longer included.

The bank now uses a Tele custom (solidbody) body for all positions and the pickups for each patch are:

1. Tele single coil bridge pickup
  2. Fender Wide Range Humbucker bridge pickup
  3. Tele Single coil bridge pickup + Tele single coil neck pickup
  4. Fender Wide Range Humbucker neck pickup
  5. Tele single coil neck pickup.

So they modeled a different Tele this time? Any info on it? 

I see the R'Billy model is now called Jetliner and not Silver Jet, did they model a different guitar than the original for this one too?

Also, any info on whether the new Strat LP etc models were done with the exact guitar they used the first time around, or just one of similar make model and year?

you're correct... usb interface does not power guitar...

and it is kind of a hassle... but all new JTV's shipped with it, and it's a better option than holding back the update until all the pods are working....

pod access will surely be added....

Yes, you're right. My HD experience wasn't that smooth but as you said I'm happy, too, they released the HD update and let's just hope they' fix those issues with the PODs.