Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

for some ridiculous reason, they made it so you can no longer connect through the pod. hope no one sold their workbench interface (like I almost did!!)

I think it's already been mentioned, but that will change in the future. They decided to release the update with this limitation rather than delay it further while they work that bit out.

I downloaded HD Workbench and it is loaded successfully and looks great.  I uninstalled the old Workbench to avoid the conflict I've been experiencing.  I downloaded 2.0.  I plugged in my JTV-89 with all cables connected correctly, 2  green lights on.  How do I upload the new 2.0 update at this point?  I'm clicking on the 2.0 downloaded program to initiate the update to JTV-89 and this is where I'm stuck.  How should I proceed?

You have to update the guitar using Line 6 Monkey, not Workbench. If you have the guitar connected through the Workbench interface and start Monkey (after downloading and installing the newest version), the guitar will be detected, and it will show you what needs updated. You update the firmware there. It's pretty self-explanatory once you open the program.

I think it's already been mentioned, but that will change in the future. They decided to release the update with this limitation rather than delay it further while they work that bit out.

Well that's a nice way to say that, but I'm thinking that it took them just as much time to get signals out of the plastic interface as it would have getting the same signals out of a pod. So much better when they are tweaked together. Key words here however are "they decided"... And I sure can't dispute that can I... ; ) I can tell u that I'm really liking that spank #2 now. Less mud to my ears than before.

Well that's a nice way to say that, but I'm thinking that it took them just as much time to get signals out of the plastic interface as it would have getting the same signals out of a pod. So much better when they are tweaked together. Key words here however are "they decided"... And I sure can't dispute that can I... ; ) I can tell u that I'm really liking that spank #2 now. Less mud to my ears than before.

While I can understand your frustration, all I can say as someone who used to work in Software, is every single thing you do, no matter how small, takes some amount of time. I for one am glad they released it now, rather than having us waiting for another few weeks to also get it working for the POD only people, especially as all JTVs are shipped with the interface cable. If Line 6 waited until everything was perfect and finished, we still wouldn't even have the POD HD500. :)

I can definitely detect an improvement in the 12-string sound. Much better.

However, I've noticed a slight issue with the D-28 acoustic model. If I play an F# (or to a lesser extent, an F) on the D, A or E strings I get a what seems like a simulated resonance, that has the effect of making the note much louder and blown out.

Anybody noticed this as well, or am I the only one?

Brook

With the old FW the modeled JTV89F PU-selector settings were assigned to CUSTOM 1 on my JTV89F. With new FW CUSTOM 1 this is different. How do I reset the JTV89F 1-5 models to CUSTOM 1 ???

This update frees up the Custom 1 bank on the JTV89 & JTV89F. Rather than having the modeled versions of its magnetic pickups automatically hardwired to those positions, you can save anything you want there. If you want to put the 89 pickups back in there, you can download the Custom 1 bank here and plop into the Custom 1 position in Workbench.

This was noted in the FAQ link for the upgrade:

For JTV-89 and 89F Customers Only:  The five high-gain models that were previously exclusive to the v1.90 JTV-89 and 89F guitars loaded into the Custom 1 Bank are now available to be loaded into the JTV using the Workbench HD software.  You can download the custom JTV-89 bank from the following link:

Custom JTV-89 Mags Bank

I did sell my usb interface with the Vax 700 I recently sold, thinking that I would never need it since I have an HD500.

Jeffgtr60 stated that the old Workbench would still connect and work, but he's on Mac OS.

Is this a safe assumption for a PC OS as well.

I adjust my string volumes every time I change strings. I want to do the update, but if the bug fix for connecting to workbench through my HD 500 takes as long to present as this HD update did, that could make it several string changes away.

Should I wait???? :(

and the strat, position 2 and 4? what you guys think? I wore these very positions 2 and 4, it lost all the jangly high-end sparkle

Probably the positions I use most on my Variax, honestly, and I love 'em. Sounds much more authentic to my ears now than before. I have five other Strats currently, and I've done A/B comparisons - pretty darn close now.

some expert already knows exactly if the acoustic changed? because I have a lot of people saying that the acoustic gotten better but still do not know if they really have changed. Thank you

If they did change, it would be relatively minor tweaks. The versions in the 1.82 firmware were already the HD models. My guess is that they may have have made some optimizations in regards to the pitch tracking, and there may be some differences in levels to help even everything out a bit more.

Hi Phil,  I am new to the JTV (yes I got the $699 JTV-89).  Very nice guitar.  Anyway,  I got my hub to go green on each side and workbench HD to run.  I downloaded the 89 mags from the link and was able to load them into custom 1.  I think I have tried everything possible to get even one 89 model to stay in that bank.  Is there a special button push or dial I need to dial on the guitar for the model to stay?  I had to re-flash my guitar last night to get my models back. I have a  funny screen shot of what my guitar looked like after I trtied to load the 89 mags but I have no idea how to upload an image to the forum?

With the old FW the modeled JTV89F PU-selector settings were assigned to CUSTOM 1 on my JTV89F. With new FW CUSTOM 1 this is different. How do I reset the JTV89F 1-5 models to CUSTOM 1 ???

This update frees up the Custom 1 bank on the JTV89 & JTV89F. Rather than having the modeled versions of its magnetic pickups automatically hardwired to those positions, you can save anything you want there. If you want to put the 89 pickups back in there, you can download the Custom 1 bank here and plop into the Custom 1 position in Workbench.

This was noted in the FAQ link for the upgrade:

I would wait in your case...

I do not believe that the old version of workbench will work with the 2.0 fw

you can update via the pod... but no workbench without the interface (currently)

I did sell my usb interface with the Vax 700 I recently sold, thinking that I would never need it since I have an HD500.

Jeffgtr60 stated that the old Workbench would still connect and work, but he's on Mac OS.

Is this a safe assumption for a PC OS as well.

I adjust my string volumes every time I change strings. I want to do the update, but if the bug fix for connecting to workbench through my HD 500 takes as long to present as this HD update did, that could make it several string changes away.

Should I wait???? :(

I have a  funny screen shot of what my guitar looked like after I trtied to load the 89 mags but I have no idea how to upload an image to the forum?

If you hit the "more reply options" button next to the "post" button below, you will be taken to another dialog box, and you'll see a button to add attachments to your reply. That will let you upload an image from your computer without having to have it hosted somewhere else.

I have a  funny screen shot of what my guitar looked like after I tried to load the 89 mags...

So this is what happened after you hit the "Upload to Variax" button? Did you try to send them all at once or one at a time?

well the upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0 didnt go well. the variax stopped completely. no sound at all.
going back to 1.9 didn't help, so with the advice here went back to 1.8 worked & from there to the 2.0. now works, but cant import my custom settings that i use for live. the only way was to open the old workbench & copy down the settings & start all over on the HD.
when both workbenches are open the new version crashes after each change. took me hours. 
what i liked on the old version was  the fretboard. which made it very easy for tuning. now i have to think in my brain "is it +2 or -2 ". why?...

• Upvote 1

While I can understand your frustration, all I can say as someone who used to work in Software, is every single thing you do, no matter how small, takes some amount of time. I for one am glad they released it now, rather than having us waiting for another few weeks to also get it working for the POD only people, especially as all JTVs are shipped with the interface cable. If Line 6 waited until everything was perfect and finished, we still wouldn't even have the POD HD500. :)

Oh Im not frustrated, just stating facts. But they did this the last time too so i kinda expected it. And you are also right about nothing being perfect. Even where common sense shines light that there are more pods with Variax connections on them out there, than plastic interfaces... But it will happen so's its all good... 

• Downvote 1

Even where common sense shines light that there are more pods with Variax connections on them out there, than plastic interfaces... But it will happen so's its all good...

Every JTV comes shipped with the interface, though... I guess I'm not sure what you're getting at with that statement.

• Upvote 1

not true... the update only applies to JTV's and every one of them shipped with the plastic interface...

not every JTV owner bought a pod.... (although probably most did)

i want it to work through the pods too... but truth is truth :)

Even where common sense shines light that there are more pods with Variax connections on them out there, than plastic interfaces... But it will happen so's its all good... 

• Downvote 1

Other than losing the Tele "thinline" body (there used to be 3 different versions of Tele bodies, now we have only 1), the Strat and the Jazz models are the only (slight) dissapointments. The software is MILES AWAY better than what was there before, the option to blend in the mags is freakin' super awesome, all of the models sound more open and feel more resposive, and the P-90 pups actually sound LIKE P-90s now B)

All things considered, this update fully rocks! It's a VAST improvement to my ears!! :wub:

yeah the old presets will not work... 

but if you click on the strings tab in workbench HD, the show the strings vertically and you can pick the tuning by note not 1, 2 etc

you can also turn any model into a 12 string now :)

well the upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0 didnt go well. the variax stopped completely. no sound at all.
going back to 1.9 didn't help, so with the advice here went back to 1.8 worked & from there to the 2.0. now works, but cant import my custom settings that i use for live. the only way was to open the old workbench & copy down the settings & start all over on the HD.
when both workbenches are open the new version crashes after each change. took me hours. 
what i liked on the old version was  the fretboard. which made it very easy for tuning. now i have to think in my brain "is it +2 or -2 ". why?...

• Upvote 1

...one of my favourite and most-used models is the Jazzbox-4 (nexk + middle position), and it sounds vastly different to me! I don't like it as much as the first one. This one has kind of a duller main tone with a beady, narrow kind of string tone - not as even and sweet as the last one. Not "bad", but not what I want - not compared to the previous model.

Anyone got any thoughts on this model?

I have to agree, on this one. The new jazz models (both now have P-90s instead of the earlier humbucker model) have less vibe, a more generic sound, and the 400 lacks that smokey, woody, tone. Hmm, too bad. :unsure: The rest of the updates are awesome, with the exception of the strat which still sounds a bit boring to me. Why can't they emulate that spongey, quacky, strat sound ala Hendrix, SRV, etc.? Isn't that the ultimate "vintage" strat sound? The strat they modeled is just not that interesting tonally. :huh: 

not true... the update only applies to JTV's and every one of them shipped with the plastic interface...

not every JTV owner bought a pod.... (although probably most did)

i want it to work through the pods too... but truth is truth :)

Zap, phil...,  I think if you counted the number of Pods with Variax interfaces sold versus the number of JTV's sold you would see its at least 2 to 1 and maybe lots more, but I digress.... Its all opinion cause neither have the figures and it all good...  :D

i'm sure you're accurate... more pods sold than variaxes...

but what do pods without variaxes have to do with the topic?

only the JT variaxes at that...

Zap, phil...,  I think if you counted the number of Pods with Variax interfaces sold versus the number of JTV's sold you would see its at least 2 to 1 and maybe lots more, but I digress.... Its all opinion cause neither have the figures and it all good...  :D

guitar4u, on 16 Aug 2013 - 23:26, said:

I have to agree, on this one. The new jazz models (both now have P-90s instead of the earlier humbucker model) have less vibe, a more generic sound, and the 400 lacks that smokey, woody, tone. Hmm, too bad. :unsure: The rest of the updates are awesome, with the exception of the strat which still sounds a bit boring to me. Why can't they emulate that spongey, quacky, strat sound ala Hendrix, SRV, etc.? Isn't that the ultimate "vintage" strat sound? The strat they modeled is just not that interesting tonally. :huh:

I agree.
This version is bad. The sounds are bugged, the Telecaster models and "spank" are horrible.
Eg 4,5,6 strings telecasters have a very lower volume to premieres strings.
I do not like the fender models. They do not ring.
Is it possible that the upgrading has functioned poorly?
I have not had an error during the update message.
For me it's back to version 1.9. Very sorry ...

" but what do pods without variaxes have to do with the topic? "

Well, in my twisted way of thought process ;) - the Variax adapter type pods I think should have been considered programmed to use Workbench 1st since they have outsold the JTV's over 2 to 1 or more, as we have discussed... And other thing, if the interfaces have to use a very different software between the "plastic" interface and the Pod, thats poor R&D planning... For example if (in a perfect world) they used the same programming, then both would have been able to get the same updates at the same time.... Just talking out loud here. May be more to it... Hindsight is, well.....

• Upvote 1

Well, in my twisted way of thought process ;) - the Variax adapter type pods I think should have been considered programmed to use Workbench 1st since they have outsold the JTV's over 2 to 1 or more, as we have discussed...

Think of it this way - everyone who has a JTV has the Workbench interface. Not everyone has a POD. Hence the priority to the Workbench interface.

The new jazz models (both now have P-90s instead of the earlier humbucker model) have less vibe, a more generic sound, and the 400 lacks that smokey, woody, tone. Hmm, too bad. :unsure:

You can easily put a humbucker on either of the jazzbox bodies in Workbench.