Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

I wonder if it would be possible, technologically speaking, line 6 give us the option of having the firmware we want, for example, join a model of a firmware with another, because it was really, really cool company would give us this option . I would love to have again strat of past firmware

I doubt it. I think they already have enough headaches with dealing the different guitar models. I can't ever see them going the a la carte route with models for the Variax. It seems that the potential for problems is too great. I'd say you have two choices - roll back the firmware or tweak the Spank model in Workbench to get something more to your liking.

I must say, though, I still don't get the criticism of that model. I love it. Had a show last night, and used it all night. I really like the way it sounds and responds now.

Nice tone, how did you record?

Not a fan of Spank 2 and 4 either, not enough "Knopfler like" to my taste

I kept the pickups and changed the body. Not an authentic Strat anymore, but I prefer that sound.

I uploaded a quick demo here, with stock and custom models, and custom tunings :

Ok phill, thanks

I doubt it. I think they already have enough headaches with dealing the different guitar models. I can't ever see them going the a la carte route with models for the Variax. It seems that the potential for problems is too great. I'd say you have two choices - roll back the firmware or tweak the Spank model in Workbench to get something more to your liking.

I must say, though, I still don't get the criticism of that model. I love it. Had a show last night, and used it all night. I really like the way it sounds and responds now.

I agree. For me, the bridge pickup sounds pinched (like it's being squeezed and chocked off). That "thinness" you are hearing is THAT sound though. Honestly, I've heard 335s (especially newer models) sound thin like this in the bridge position, so it may not necessarily be an inaccurate representation. In this case, I think Line 6 might have modeled a completely different guitar -- I'm starting to think that's the case for all of these new models.

I was able to improve the tone  (somewhat) by moving the bridge pickup slightly closer to the bridge at 1.7" (instead of 2", which seems muddy to me), raising the resistance to 1M on both volume and tone controls, and lowering the capacitance to 11nF. Also, I bumped the preset volume up to 0.5 dB. In all, this opens up the sound a bit more to my ears (i.e. it's less compressed; especially in the high frequencies). It's a small, subtle difference but a noticeable improvement to me. 

Here's a link to the preset if you want to give it a shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5uxnqljbydq462/semi-bridge-modified.whd

Let me know what you think  :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, you might want to play with the tone knob by rolling it back to 9 or 8, if it seems to bright with some amps and settings; then you will hear the effect of the lower (11nF) capacitance. 

Rich

The ES335 position 1 sounds very thin to me now. It does not break up / distort as the former version. The other positions sounds more ES335 like now. But again: postion1 needs tweaking of my presets. I cannot use this model instantly.

Update all fine here

-12 Strings sound a little bit better
-Volume of models and real PU about equal 
-No more volume increase when I turn down the tone knob
-All models sound better for my ears
-Tele much better
-Strat a little bit better
-Loaded the new 89 Models - like it
-Workbench looks great

... have to play with the Workbench the next days

A great free update

Still dislike the noise (hiss) from the models compared to the real PU's - but that seams to be hardware?

Here's my favorite custom bank so far: a Strat body with the 89 pups (ala "Super Strat" style) using a stacked single-coil (in series) for the middle position; a Les Paul body using 89 pups for neck and bridge positions. These 89 pickups blend really well and might be one of my favorite new features...lovin' it!  B)

Here's the bank: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e128jvyxwa2zaob/HotLesPaul-SuperStrat.bnk

• Upvote 1

After some more experimentation this morning, I found that dropping the potentiometer resistances down to 250k can also be useful when pairing the ES335 bridge pup with different amps. So far, this guitar model and pickup position appear to be the most fickle, responding differently to different amp models; that's actually a good thing -- it tells me that the guitar is more responsive and truer to "real life" scenarios.

Setting tone and volume knobs at different positions are factors as well. The only place I got into trouble was with increasing the gain above around 2db where, at distored settings, it can start to sound ugly. 

Food for thought, anyway  :)

I was able to improve the tone  (somewhat) by moving the bridge pickup slightly closer to the bridge at 1.7" (instead of 2", which seems muddy to me), raising the resistance to 1M on both volume and tone controls, and lowering the capacitance to 11nF. Also, I bumped the preset volume up to 0.5 dB. In all, this opens up the sound a bit more to my ears (i.e. it's less compressed; especially in the high frequencies). It's a small, subtle difference but a noticeable improvement to me. 

Here's a link to the preset if you want to give it a shot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5uxnqljbydq462/semi-bridge-modified.whd

Anyone having problems with alternate tunings setup using the virtual capo feature on the guitar (not using the workbench)?

OPen E sounded fine with the old firmware, but now all the strings that are moved up sound aweful (not a pure note? if it was  a color I'd describe it as mud).

Open G, (moving notes down a semitone or two) works fine.

I've reloaded the firmware about a dozen time with the same results (through the monkey software), it works fine on old firmware rolled back but not on the new one on my jvt 89.

thanks

Updated HD and workbench with no trouble, made my first customs on Custom 2.  Now trying to use my Pod XT live.  It's not responding to when I change the Variax settings.  I'm using Line 6 edit.  Should I be using something else now that I've updated?

@ddalton: I think this is the second report that an older Pod product with VDI connection is having trouble with the JTV firmware v2.0. I believe the other report concerns a Pod X3 Live.

I suggest you start a new thread for this topic so that we can determine if this is a widespread issue; it may be a new bug that needs to be reported to Line 6. In your initial post please ask others to report if they are experiencing this issue.

I uploaded a quick demo here, with stock and custom models, and custom tunings :

Thanks for the video run-through. Sounds great! The single coils work well with the Masonite Danelectro body, and that's the best I've heard the acoustics sound.

Wow - I have to say I'm very underwhelmed and disappointed.  Just updated my JTV-69US to v2 firmware, and so many of the new models are terrible!  Many of them (all the Teles, the Strats, even the 335) sound almost out of phase, honky, thin, and with volumes lower than the mags with the modeling turned off.

I also updated to WorkbenchHD, and tweaked the volume levels of those models to bring them up 2-3dB, which helps with the volume matching, but the sounds are still horrible. 

I'm going to have to do some serious work with Workbench to try and get these models to sound even halfway decent, but if I can't, then it's time to roll back the firmware.

Just for reference, I also have some guitars with which to compare the models, including a '62 L-series Strat (which sounds wonderful but NOTHING like the Spank models in the new firmware. The previous firmware sounded very close) I also have a 335 which sounds like a 335 because it IS one.  But NONE of the "Semi" models in the new firmware sound anything like my 335.

I also have an ES-175 jazzbox, and the "Jazzbox" models on the previous firmware sounded very close, particularly in a couple of the switch positions.  But not now - they sound dull, lifeless, low volume, and thin.

In fact, my impression of almost all the models in the new firmware - with the exception of the Lesters - is that they are all THIN sounding.

Surely digital modelling software can't somehow load into the guitar and be out of phase?  Because that's just what it sounds like....

I think I'll re-load v2 firmware to make sure it's not corrupted somehow, but if that fails, then it's back to the previous version I'm afraid.

I hear and understand (and mostly agree) with all the complaints but don't give up yet. Overall I like the update. It seems to react better with the amps in my HD500. Despite my misgivings in regard to the update ( listening to them with no amp or FX) my patches overall, seem to sound better. And freman came up with some excellent solutions to the complaints. I think that even though the factory model complaints are somewhat legit. freman showed that the sounds are in there somewhere using Workbench. So overall, I give this update a thumbs up. I was particularly disappointed with the position 2 spank now not sounding at all like the Knopfler sound it used to have.

I hear and understand (and mostly agree) with all the complaints but don't give up yet. Overall I like the update. It seems to react better with the amps in my HD500. Despite my misgivings in regard to the update ( listening to them with no amp or FX) my patches overall, seem to sound better. And freman came up with some excellent solutions to the complaints. I think that even though the factory model complaints are somewhat legit. freman showed that the sounds are in there somewhere using Workbench. So overall, I give this update a thumbs up. I was particularly disappointed with the position 2 spank now not sounding at all like the Knophler sound it used to have.

I agree. Although I am not a current "buyer" of the FW 2.0, I will invest more time to test and assemble with the WB HD-software.

But no doubt: the difference of this FW is so huge that it necessarily leads me into considerable tweaking time for the POD HD presets (amp and effect parameters) I am using for gigging.

The Strat model seems to have to most gap to the old FW. This may not be negative to all users, but to some like me. Although you can blend the strat-model with the magnetic PUs of the JTV (they sound pretty similar to the old FW model), this is only a "workaround" for the JTV69 users.

The fact that L6 has integrated the JTV89 pickups in the FW is great: these piuckups (and their real magnetic ones in my 89F) are stellar for really high gain sounds. And this is potentially very beneficial to many none-JTV89 user.

OK - I just spent an hour mucking about with WorkbenchHD, trying to get the v2 firmware models to sound even vaguely as good as the v1.9 models.  Failed miserably.  It could take days of work - and I just don't have the time or the patience for that, so I rolled back to v1.9 Firmware - and I'm happy again.  Everything is back to the way it was.

The Spank models, especially in positions 1,2 and 3 sound VERY close to my '62 L-series real Strat.  The 335 now sounds like my 335, and the Jazzboxes sound like various switch positions on my Gibson ES-175.  And the Tele sounds, especially on switch position 1, very close to my real Tele with Texas Specials in it.

So, I'm holding off on upgrading again - I'm sticking with v1.9. My problem now is having to go back to Workbench (previous version) and setting it up again - a job for tomorrow methinks.

I should have known better than to jump straight into an update before reading the forums.!

Wow - I have to say I'm very underwhelmed and disappointed. Just updated my JTV-69US to v2 firmware, and so many of the new models are terrible! Many of them (all the Teles, the Strats, even the 335) sound almost out of phase, honky, thin, and with volumes lower than the mags with the modeling turned off.

I also updated to WorkbenchHD, and tweaked the volume levels of those models to bring them up 2-3dB, which helps with the volume matching, but the sounds are still horrible.

I'm going to have to do some serious work with Workbench to try and get these models to sound even halfway decent, but if I can't, then it's time to roll back the firmware.

Just for reference, I also have some guitars with which to compare the models, including a '62 L-series Strat (which sounds wonderful but NOTHING like the Spank models in the new firmware. The previous firmware sounded very close) I also have a 335 which sounds like a 335 because it IS one. But NONE of the "Semi" models in the new firmware sound anything like my 335.

I also have an ES-175 jazzbox, and the "Jazzbox" models on the previous firmware sounded very close, particularly in a couple of the switch positions. But not now - they sound dull, lifeless, low volume, and thin.

In fact, my impression of almost all the models in the new firmware - with the exception of the Lesters - is that they are all THIN sounding.

Surely digital modelling software can't somehow load into the guitar and be out of phase? Because that's just what it sounds like....

I think I'll re-load v2 firmware to make sure it's not corrupted somehow, but if that fails, then it's back to the previous version I'm afraid.

Very strange, but yesterday I tested the update for the first time and I had the same remarks as you (I tested with my dream rig but also on a Fender evil twin tube amp). Today I tried again and somehow when I was altering an existing patch on my pod hd500 and changing the JTV preset (on the guitar itself) the guitar suddenly sounded drastically different. I then tested all models and they sounded great compared to yesterday. I also tested on my Fender amp again: also much better. I really don't know what happened. How did you test the guitar?

I still notice though that some models are more silent than the mag PU (the jazzbox for example). In the past, it was the other way around until you changed string levels.

Another thing: I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to bring the string levels up above 0db as you probably did? This might add some distortion I guess.

Hi Solidjiver :)

Although I have a POD HD500, I didn't use it to test the firmware upgrade of the JTV-69US. THe Pod adds too much of its own thing, and although I love it (as well as my DT50) I also do a lot of gigs using just the Variax into a clean amp, with no Pod in the line.

So when I tested the models in the firmware update I plugged the Variax straight into the front of one of the cleanest amps I have - an original Music Man HD130 212. I also used a Blackstar HT60 212, and of course my DT50 212 set to the Fender Twin setting.

I wanted to check the models for their own sound, not the sound that was altered by the Pod or any other pedals etc. And although I did check a couple of the models out with some overdrive (mainly the Lester models, using the Blackstar channel 2 for pure amp overdrive - no pedals), most of my listening was done by playing the Variax into clean amps.

Same after I rolled back the firmware to v1.9. And the previous firmware was way better - it was, in fact, back to the way it was, and the way that has been making me a very happy gigger until I upgraded to v2.0

I honestly don't think I could have gone out doing the gigs I do (3 different cover bands is where I mainly use the Variax) using the new firmware. Back on v1.9 I'm back on safe ground. So I'll wait until v2.1 or 2.2 and I'll read the comments on here BEFORE updating next time, as I have usually done.

Don't know what got into me, really - jumping in prematurely like that... ;)

I have no idea why your models would suddenly sound different after switching something via the Pod, unless the firmware is designed mainly to be used via a Pod and relies on it. But that's no good for me - I need my JTV-69US to be a standalone instrument, and use the Pod occasionally.

PS: The only adjusting of the levels I did was using the slider at the bottom left of the main window in the new WorkbenchHD. I just raised the Tele and the Spank levels by a couple of dB - didn't seem to add any noticeable distortion, but it did make the levels match a bit better when switching between the mag pickups and the modelling mode.

I'm not sure the sound changed after switching something on my pod, as a matter of fact it happened when I was switching models on the guitar. The models now also sound better when I use the JTV as a standalone instrument on a tube amp. I'm really confused about what happened (maybe there is some kind of a bug), just wanted to share this with you because you might have had the same issue.

Did you try reflashing firmware BTW?

Yes - I re-flashed twice, in fact.  All sounded the same - bad.  Thin sounds, honky mid-range, just as if they were out of phase.  Yet the v1.9 sounds absolutely fine - go figure..!

That's interesting about you switching something that suddenly made everything sound good - I did plenty of model switching while I was checking out the new sounds, but nothing happened like the situation you described.  Wonder if it IS a bug in the firmware?  Or an incompatibility somewhere?  My JTV-69US was bought from the US (I'm in Australia) over 18 months ago - wonder if anything has changed?

But I'm sticking with v1.9 - it works for me, I'm happy with it, and I don't need the hassles that v2.0 was giving me.  Thanks for your comments - appreciated :)

I will hold off on the criticism for the time being as I haven't had the update for 24 hrs yet. I will say that it took several attempts to get the guitar re-flashed! I do like the new workbench as I am a visual kinda guy and the Tele does, to my ears,  sound better. I have only listened through head-phones in my studio but I have my stack laying in wait to crank them later. 

On another note. Has anyone got a new HD500X pedal & is it worth the money? I gig mostly as a bassist but I can shred when necessary...LOL

where can I find this strat/maple neck and gibson sg model for download , pictured here ?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Whoa! An SG, LP Goldtop, LP Junior, 2 strat models, AND a Tele Thinline? WTF?! Is this a joke? Maybe this is from the beta version and those models were eventually dropped. Wow, that's interesting indeed! My hope is we will see these models return and show up in a future update, or model pack purchase option...

What do you mean JTV preset( on the guitar itself )?

Very strange, but yesterday I tested the update for the first time and I had the same remarks as you (I tested with my dream rig but also on a Fender evil twin tube amp). Today I tried again and somehow when I was altering an existing patch on my pod hd500 and changing the JTV preset (on the guitar itself) the guitar suddenly sounded drastically different. I then tested all models and they sounded great compared to yesterday. I also tested on my Fender amp again: also much better. I really don't know what happened. How did you test the guitar?

I still notice though that some models are more silent than the mag PU (the jazzbox for example). In the past, it was the other way around until you changed string levels.

Another thing: I may be wrong, but I don't think it's a good idea to bring the string levels up above 0db as you probably did? This might add some distortion I guess.

Whoa! An SG, LP Goldtop, LP Junior, 2 strat models, AND a Tele Thinline? WTF?! Is this a joke? Maybe this is from the beta version and those models were eventually dropped. Wow, that's interesting indeed! My hope is we will see these models return and show up in a future update, or model pack purchase option...

I am also very interested to find out what happened there. 

just philosophizing, sorry for the english , I know that the perception of tones and sounds are always subjective and personal, but expect long eight months since the announcement of the upgrade, but I think that has a lot of people at least strange new sounds, should not be, right?, the line6 probably had a huge job to perform this upgrade, and yet many people are unhappy, wanting to return to the previous firmware, I wonder what's wrong? Does this discontent is just personal and do just enough new tweaks to the tones become good or actually sounds worse instead of improving in fact? will we musicians were just so used to the old firmware and now we are stranging the new? but at the same time I wonder, were 8 months of hard work of the line6 to we doubt if the new firmware is really good? is that the new firmware was really good we would be here arguing so much about the quality? or is it just matter of getting used to the new? do not take it seriously, they are just thoughts that have occurred to me

• Upvote 1

I guess that one of the effects of the "more sensitive" models in v.2.0 is that output level differences from the piezos become more apparent. After the upgrade I found the D-string way louder than the other strings across all models - nothing I really noticed with 1.9. I had to attenuate the D-string by 5 dB to get it to conform with the other strings.

I also noticed, as others already have heard, that the 2.0 models are more sensitive to rattle and other noises than 1.9 or my old 600. Or really, I did notice that with the HD acoustic models in 1.9. The noises seems to be more prominent in different ways depending on model, as the "natural" noise is "translated" by the DSP the same way the piezo signal is...

The new strat, it almost sounds like a semi hollow body or something.

Which in itself is fine if that it's how it is supposed to sound. But it is tough to decipher if that is the case or if it's somehow bugged.

Which in itself doesn't make sense. Binary isn't like watercolor where if you somehow mix it you just come up with a new color.

I dont think this is a joke , but its only on the german and french site from line6 ... whatever , very mouthwatering indeed :)

On another note. Has anyone got a new HD500X pedal & is it worth the money? I gig mostly as a bassist but I can shred when necessary...LOL

If you haven't seen my video on the comparison between the HD500 and the HD500X, here it is.

Also, here is my video showing a comparison between 1.9 and 2.0 HD models and my first impression of them. 

Hello line6 :) 

Someone here ? 

Think quickly release an update that
would be at least as well as the 1.9 version?
Or at least we could mix the 1.9 and 2.0 (keep the best 2 versions).
When is it the possibilities of hardware? is it really powerful enough for a version "HD"?
It's still weird all these diverging opinions ....
This may be your students who have completed (messed up) the job when you are on leave.
Cordially.

Ps : Thank you to those who have made videos, but a tip:
not to make comparison with the distortion engaged. This is silly.
  • Downvote 5