Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

Thank you to those who have made videos, but a tip:

not to make comparison with the distortion engaged. This is silly.

Well that's my my video has only clean sounds, except at the end, where I'm showing the effect of palm muting/detuning in high gain ;)

I hear what you're saying about the 335 being a little "thin," or lacking some bottom-end but after reading your posts, I'm starting to wonder if something else went wrong with your update :unsure:The way you are describing the change is not at all what I have experienced. In fact, most of these models have a lot more character than before, and are significantly more open and responsive now.

Just like a regular guitar, not all of these sound good with certain amp and effects configurations (that's to be expected); I've even listened critically to the D.I. tone without any coloration from an amp or amp modeling and these updates sound quite a bit more organic and natural sounding. You may certainly PREFER the 1.9 sounds and that's understood, but at least you should verify that the update you received was right. Also, which JTV guitar do you own?

I recorded some riffing with the ES335 "Semi" model on the bridge position, adding just a bit of gain for the type of classic rock sound I would expect to use this model for; is this similar to what you're hearing? Please have a listen and report back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yac5b2m0417b48n/ES335.wav

The new model may not sound like YOUR 335, but it sounds 335-ish to me. I'm not insisting I'm right here, just curious to hear what you are hearing so we can compare the difference(s).

Rich

Just for reference, I also have some guitars with which to compare the models, including a '62 L-series Strat (which sounds wonderful but NOTHING like the Spank models in the new firmware. The previous firmware sounded very close) I also have a 335 which sounds like a 335 because it IS one. But NONE of the "Semi" models in the new firmware sound anything like my 335.

here is my video showing a comparison between 1.9 and 2.0 HD models and my first impression of them. 

Chris, thanks again for doing the video. I only wished you would have done a few models side-by-side with before and after scenarios playing the same riff (like you did for the acoustic models upgrade). Also, I agree that too much gain (distortion) will make it hard to discern the differences. Anyway, I'm still grateful  :D

I hear what you're saying about the 335 being a little "thin," or lacking some bottom-end but after reading your posts, I'm starting to wonder if something else went wrong with your update :unsure:The way you are describing the change is not at all what I have experienced. In fact, most of these models have a lot more character than before, and are significantly more open and responsive now.

Just like a regular guitar, not all of these sound good with certain amp and effects configurations (that's to be expected); I've even listened critically to the D.I. tone without any coloration from an amp or amp modeling and these updates sound quite a bit more organic and natural sounding. You may certainly PREFER the 1.9 sounds and that's understood, but at least you should verify that the update you received was right. Also, which JTV guitar do you own?

I recorded some riffing with the ES335 "Semi" model on the bridge position, adding just a bit of gain for the type of classic rock sound I would expect to use this model for; is this similar to what you're hearing? Please have a listen and report back: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yac5b2m0417b48n/ES335.wav

The new model may not sound like YOUR 335, but it sounds 335-ish to me. I'm not insisting I'm right here, just curious to hear what you are hearing so we can compare the difference(s).

Rich

Thanks for posting this, Rich - I appreciate the points you make.

Couple of points: I re-downloaded the v2.0 firmware twice - a total of three times, in case it was corrupted. I updated the JTV using both the direct download via Monkey, and also the "Update from file" method just in case. So in total, the guitar has been flashed three times with v2.0.

And in all cases, the models sounded the same. I appreciate that there is a difference between me actually liking or preferring one lot vs the other lot, but the new models continued to sound very thin, honky, and lower in level compared to the mag pickups.

I also tried the sounds through three different amps, all very clean, as outlined earlier. Same results.

I then rolled back to v1.9, and immediately, the sounds were back to their former glory.

I think the summary I would put on the new sounds is that they lack balls.... ;)

Now - your .wav file of the 335. It sounds great, and it sounds very much like both my real 335 AND my v1.9 Variax 335 bridge position. But the new v2.0 335 sounds NOTHING like your sound sample when played on my JTV.

SO: what I'm starting to wonder, given that there seems to be a completely divergent set of opinions on here about the new models (love 'em or hate 'em), could there be some difference in the actual guitars that makes the new models sound great in some, and awful in others?

Mine is the JTV-69US - the US-made model. I've had it for about 18 months (maybe a little longer), having imported it from the US as they weren't available here in Australia at that time. In fact, the JTVs had been available in the US for months before Australia even got a whiff of one! Problems with the importers here, I think. So I bought mine from the US via a Line6 dealer there.

But I wonder if there is either a hardware difference between earlier models and newer ones (eg the piezos) or an electronic difference?

It certainly seems that many on here are delighted with the new models, while others are very disappointed (like me). And your 335 example sounds absolutely NOTHING like the one in my v2.0 firmware. Not even remotely like it. Yours sounds like a real 335. Mine sounded like a honky, thin, low level cheap tin guitar! As posted above - the sound that came out of mine lacked balls - the sound in your example had balls to spare!

And being a huge fan of Larry Carlton, I must admit that I do like a 335 to sound like a 335... ;)

It remains a mystery to me why opinions are so different, and why my experience was so bad despite downloading and flashing a total of three times. Incidentally, just for the record, I played your .wav file on the computer plugged into my good studio monitors. Playing my Variax via those three amps would normally (and does with v1.9) give plenty of guts to the sounds.

Is anyone aware of differences between earlier and newer JTVs that could cause such differing results from the firmware update? Hugo? Line6?

Chris, thanks again for doing the video. I only wished you would have done a few models side-by-side with before and after scenarios playing the same riff (like you did for the acoustic models upgrade). Also, I agree that too much gain (distortion) will make it hard to discern the differences. Anyway, I'm still grateful  :D

I could have done that, but I just don't have the time and energy like I used to for that sort of video. Also, with regards to the distortion, it's really subjective to the person. 

• Upvote 1

This guy did a side-by-side comparison of a selection of the models between 1.9 and 2.0

http://line6.com/support/topic/2074-v2-hd-comparison-video/

• Upvote 1

It certainly seems that many on here are delighted with the new models, while others are very disappointed (like me). And your 335 example sounds absolutely NOTHING like the one in my v2.0 firmware. Not even remotely like it. Yours sounds like a real 335. Mine sounded like a honky, thin, low level cheap tin guitar! As posted above - the sound that came out of mine lacked balls - the sound in your example had balls to spare!

Oh, I don't doubt your experience (or what you're hearing) for a second. I've had my own fair share of Line 6 equipment and upgrade failings; I have a DT25 head sitting in my studio room that decided not to turn on one day and is awaiting repair (not fun!). Also, I went through 3 JTV guitars (sending them back and forth to the store and Line 6) before I got a working guitar (price you pay for being an early adopter I guess? the early Korean models were fraught with issues). Anyway, I have a JTV69 Korean now. My point is, I think something went wonky, or is just plain wrong, with your guitar (at least the firmware). The upgraded strat models are nothing special but overall, this update rocks (when it works) and should be anything but what you've described. I guess they'll get it all sorted out (one way or another) in the end. Wait for version 2.x I s'pose  :D

Well, I can tell you, having watched and listened to that video, two posts above this one, twice now, through my studio monitors, that the v2.0 firmware, on MY guitar (JTV-69US) which looks the same as his, sounds NOTHING like that.

I'd be tempted to say that there must be a problem with the piezos on my guitar, or something - except that with v1.9 mine sounds GREAT!

There's cetainly a lot more top end, and "air" in those new models - but I just don't get them when that firmware is loaded into my guitar.  Three times I've done it, with fresh downloads each time. Twice directly with Monkey, and once via "Update from file".  And they ALL (with the exception of the Lester - go figure) sound thin, honky, and no balls.  But v1.9 sounds just fine.

Surely there just HAS to be a difference between the guitars, doesn't there?  How else can we explain that some are delighted with the upgrade, and some hate it?  The very same file? What could the difference be between the guitars?  See my post just above here...

try downgrading to a 1.7 or 1.8 fw first and then jumping straight to v2...

you'd be surprised how many times something like that has made the difference for people...

the variaxes have always been finicky with flashing IMO...

i'd also advise unplugging everything non-essential if flashing from a pod...

if from the interface i'd also take all non essential usb out of the mix as well...

a pain... yes... but as i said.. it tends to work in the end for most.

Well, I can tell you, having watched and listened to that video, two posts above this one, twice now, through my studio monitors, that the v2.0 firmware, on MY guitar (JTV-69US) which looks the same as his, sounds NOTHING like that.

I'd be tempted to say that there must be a problem with the piezos on my guitar, or something - except that with v1.9 mine sounds GREAT!

There's cetainly a lot more top end, and "air" in those new models - but I just don't get them when that firmware is loaded into my guitar.  Three times I've done it, with fresh downloads each time. Twice directly with Monkey, and once via "Update from file".  And they ALL (with the exception of the Lester - go figure) sound thin, honky, and no balls.  But v1.9 sounds just fine.

Surely there just HAS to be a difference between the guitars, doesn't there?  How else can we explain that some are delighted with the upgrade, and some hate it?  The very same file? What could the difference be between the guitars?  See my post just above here...

Surely there just HAS to be a difference between the guitars, doesn't there?  How else can we explain that some are delighted with the upgrade, and some hate it?  The very same file? What could the difference be between the guitars? ....

I tend to agree with you - the evidence suggests some hardware failure in your guitar. Your case seems different than others who report that they don't like the new firmware. I suspect that in many cases that boils down to a difference in the interaction between the new firmware and existing POD HD presets.... but your case seems unique. I would open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 on this.

The most confusing part is that v1.9 works fine, while v2.0 has successfully been installed numerous times and sounds like cr@p. Not just a  little like cr@p - a LOT. How can that be?

Here's one completely unfounded speculation: a segment of RAM inside your JTV has failed but has not been detected as a bad segment. Presumably, v2.0 firmware requires more hardware resources (including RAM) than v1.9. The modeling technology of V1.9 is very old now -  a holdover from the original Variax modeling - and the JTV was likely over-engineered in terms of hardware, always anticipating the arrival of v2.0. That could mean that some RAM in your JTV was never required, and has remained unused, with v1.9. But now it is required - and has failed. Rolling back to v1.9 remains fine because that RAM is still not used.

Let me repeat - the above is wild speculation, but something like that could be going on. It seems likely that v2.0 places more demands on JTV resources than v1.9. That was certainly the case with the POD HD compared to the POD X3 - the amount of modeling data increased tenfold, and the POD HD DSP required new hardware. So somehow, it may be that the increased demand in your particular guitar cannot be met due to some internal resource/hardware failure - something that is unused in all previous firmware versions.

... just my thoughts.....

Thanks guys - comments all appreciated. First, to clarify, I was doing the flashing via the USB interface that came with the JTV, and all worked well.  Good battery in the JTV, and a jack in the output socket to turn the guitar on.  No problems with the actual flashing, multiple times.

The thought about going back to v1.7 then jumping to v2.0 is something that may be worth a try - might give that a go tonight (it's 11am Monday here in Australia, and I'm actually at work).

The comments and speculation about the RAM is something that may in fact be a very valid point.  Although several others have comments that the new sounds are "thin" etc.  See Junis's post five above this one...  and there are several others.  But yes, I may just open a support ticket re this.  And if the v1.7 straight to v2.0 trick doesn't work, then I'll wait for v2.x to arrive, just in case it IS a difference between different models of guitars (eg early vs recent).  But the RAM is something that is to be considered - thanks for that suggestion.

OK - better get some work done, to pay for this GAS, but will keep an eye on the forum between jobs :)

This seems to me to be a big step in the right direction for Line6.  I like the the most of the update as is and am tweaking as I go.  Seems to be much more touch responsive and focused to my admittedly imperfect ear.  Especially on high gain palm muting sounds.  Thanks Line6 for the support.

Rich

Spot on for me.

Yup - that's the 335 sound alright.  My real 335 sounds like that, and my Variax v1.9 sounds VERY close to that.  Also, the clip posted above by @guitar4u sounds VERY close to that.

All I can repeat is that the v2.0 firmware - in MY Variax - sounds NOTHING like that.  It just HAS to be a problem with some interaction between the new firmware and the guitar.  Perhaps the suggestion of a RAM problem has some merit? Or maybe something else altogether?

If somebody from Line6 is reading this, could they shed any light on any changes to either the hardware OR the electronics in a JTV-69US from the earlier ones (like mine) to the newer ones?  Could there be something there that is clashing or incompatible with the v2.0 firmware?

It's not just the 335 - the only models that sound good or better in v2.0 on MY guitar are the Lesters (all 5 of them), one of the 12-strings (position 2), and the sitar.  EVERYTHING else sounds really naff.  To repeat myself - they are thin, honky and middy, lacking any depth of tone (sounds like a graphic EQ with 1KHz pushed all the way up, and everything else pulled right down), so no balls and no sparkle.  And the levels are low compared to the levels of the mag pickups - probably 4-5dB lower at least.  I did try to bring the levels of a few of the models up by 2-3dB using WorkbenchHD, which helped the level problem a bit, but the sounds were still awful.

Currently, I'm happily back on v1.9.  When I get home (still at work here), I'll try the suggestion of going back to v1.7 then bumping straight to v2.0, but if that doesn't work, I'm happy to stay on v1.9 until v2.3 or 2.4 comes out ;)

Seriously though - can anyone from Line6 suggest any clues why this may happen?  The problem seems to be located in the combination of my guitar and that firmware.  It's obviously NOT just the firmware, which sounds good on other peoples' guitars.

If you went to the Sweetwater page you would have seen this, but I haven't had a chance yet to put it into a full vid, so it's not a fully public video yet.

Some of the text model descriptions are incorrect as I was doing them at 4 am and was decidedly delirious (:-), but hopefully this will give some insight into the level of authenticity of the guitars.

It's been long enough since I've had to do pinch harmonics that I had to sit and remember how to :-)

There will be a full-length video with these as the examples in a few weeks.

Rich
Hi buddy , what amp model did you use in this sample of 335? thanks

I've lurked for awhile without posting, but here's my story. Korean JTV-69 & Pod HD500 (which I am still learning). I've been once again using the JTV as a gig guitar to simplify my stage rig and only bring one guitar instead of the 2-4 I usually take. Otherwise, I play Strats -- have for years. I've lost count of how many Strats I've gone through, hot-rodded, etc. I love Strats. Anyway, I got an e-mail about the new 2.0 HD upgrade and finally decided to upgrade the old 1.7 sounds last Friday. Right before a gig. What could go wrong...

When I started playing the Spank sounds at the gig, I was pretty shocked at the changes. I was mostly happy with the Strat models before, but the sound of the new HD model, especially in positions 2 and 4, lost a whole lot of what makes a Strat a Strat. Hearing what was coming from the JTV left me far less than happy and certainly not inspired. Seeing as I use the Spank models for about 50% of my electric guitar sounds, I just downgraded back to 1.9. 

Like others here have said, not all the new model sounds were bad. The Tele and Lester sounds were good, and I loved the new Chime 12-string models. I will wait until V. 2.x, and will upgrade again... and I am so thankful for a company that allows its users the flexibility to go back and "downgrade" to something that still works. Not all the other companies are as good to their users as Line 6 is with its upgrades and product support.

• Upvote 1

I have exactly the same problem as The_Doc_Rock -  guitar sounds thin, ugly after upgrade. I have brand new, Korean JTV-69 so this behavior is probably not specific for certain model/production batch.  

Thank you..!!!  I thought I was all on my own there for a while :)

Just kidding - seriously, there does seem to be some variation in the impressions of the v2.0 firmware in this forum, and even accounting for differences in taste and preference, I'd suggest that some of the less favourable impressions are due to real problems.

For sure, there is no way that the sounds coming from my JTV were usable with the update.  And they sounded nothing at all like the video clips that a couple of folks have now put up.

In case anyone missed my earlier post, which has been bumped back two or three pages already, I do actually own a '62 L-series Strat (a real one), an ES-335, and an ES-175 (as well as a lot of others - but we won't get into my severe case of GAS...).  So I do have some basis for comparison with the real thing.  And v1.9 firmware, on my actual JTV, sounds VERY close to those guitars when switched to the models that are supposed to sound like them.

But the v2.0 firmware sounds NOTHING like the real things. (Not all, as has been discussed. The Lesters in particular are good)

We need to try and determine if we're looking at (1) a real problem here, and (2) what are the possibilities that could be causing the variation - why some have the problem and some don't. It needs a very logical approach and analysis. But I suspect that there MAY be a real problem for some - including me - and if anyone can think of possible causes then this may help Line6 in trying to sort it out.

The suggestion someone made earlier about possible flakey RAM, and the new update needing more RAM, is a good suggestion to start with.

Any other ideas? 

The problem is that there are so many different factors that could be causing differences reported here. I do suspect that some of these issues have to be more than simply a difference of opinion, though. One thing I am wondering is that when everyone does the update are they sure to pick the option to not save the existing presets on the guitar? That can cause some problems if you don't do that.

But personally, I've got to say I was playing my JTV last night some more, and I think the models are pretty spot-on. To me the Strat sound much more authentic than before. I also took some time to compare some of the models to the real thing. I have an Epiphone Casino, for instance, and the Variax model pretty much nails what I was hearing with the real thing. To compare, I would record a loop on my M13, unplug the original and the plug in the Variax to compare. That way I can do a true A/B and not just depend on my memory. But, yeah, to me the differences are so minor between the Variax and the real they would be pretty much indistinguishable in a recording or live situation.

I do not remember having read this notice in the monkey, option to not save the existing presets on the guitar, will be should I upgrade again?

The problem is that there are so many different factors that could be causing differences reported here. I do suspect that some of these issues have to be more than simply a difference of opinion, though. One thing I am wondering is that when everyone does the update are they sure to pick the option to not save the existing presets on the guitar? That can cause some problems if you don't do that.

But personally, I've got to say I was playing my JTV last night some more, and I think the models are pretty spot-on. To me the Strat sound much more authentic than before. I also took some time to compare some of the models to the real thing. I have an Epiphone Casino, for instance, and the Variax model pretty much nails what I was hearing with the real thing. To compare, I would record a loop on my M13, unplug the original and the plug in the Variax to compare. That way I can do a true A/B and not just depend on my memory. But, yeah, to me the differences are so minor between the Variax and the real they would be pretty much indistinguishable in a recording or live situation.

I don't think it's a problem of opinion, it's either a strange choice by Line 6 to go far from the Knopfler quack we love, OR a bug. I would like to hear more samples, by either people who like the new strat more, or those who think it's uninspiring and thin now

it very obviously is a problem of opinion... because my opinion is that the strat and every other guitar is vastly improved....

you disagree... or should we say... have a different opinion.

i didn't love the previous strat... it was ok, but wasn't a particular favorite...

you are assuming that everyone shares your opinion... 

it's very subjective and there will surely be those that agree with you....

as there are surely those that will agree with me...

the old strat is still there... just downgrade to 1.9 and enjoy.

I don't think it's a problem of opinion, it's either a strange choice by Line 6 to go far from the Knopfler quack we love, OR a bug. I would like to hear morsamples, by either people who like the new start more, or those who think it's uninspiring and thin now

Well, judge for yourself, I edited that video in two minutes (I had recorded samples of both firmwares last Saturday) :

Forget the single pickup positions as on 1.90 I stack two pickups, listen to the differences in the "quack" positions (2 and 4)...
I recorded the two videos under the exact same conditions (same preset on the Axe Fx, same volume as it was an USB recording = no record level). I put the two clips one after the other, absolutely no sound editing.

1.90 is the perfect Knopfler sound I associate with a Strat

2.0 is not - but I like how the other guitar sounds.

it very obviously is a problem of opinion... because my opinion is that the strat and every other guitar is vastly improved....

you disagree... or should we say... have a different opinion.

i didn't love the previous strat... it was ok, but wasn't a particular favorite...

you are assuming that everyone shares your opinion... 

it's very subjective and there will surely be those that agree with you....

as there are surely those that will agree with me...

the old strat is still there... just downgrade to 1.9 and enjoy.

I prefer the second of those sounds in your video... Even though they do sound a bit thinner, they sound more in line what my real Strats sound like. They have more of the bell-like quality I associate with the 2 and 4 positions.

v2 sounds better to me...

granted your playing in the video sounds more inspired on 1.9... 

dude... just admit it.. .YOU prefer 1.9.... no problem at all with that...

but presenting your preference as some sort of fact is not accurate.

I prefer the second of those sounds in your video... Even though they do sound a bit thinner, they sound more in line what my real Strats sound like. They have more of the bell-like quality I associate with the 2 and 4 positions.

It may depends on the Strat model then... Each Strat I tried (three American Standard, two Mexico, one from Indonesia) sounded much more like the first one. But I'm after the specific Knopfler sound, maybe some Strats (SRV ?) are not made for those. I prefer the first one by far ; but it doesn't mean that the second is not usable (for something else that the vintage knopfler sound)

v2 sounds better to me...

granted your playing in the video sounds more inspired on 1.9... 

dude... just admit it.. .YOU prefer 1.9.... no problem at all with that...

but presenting your preference as some sort of fact is not accurate.

Hey, I admit it, no problem :) But I was really wondering if there was some sort of bug, because version 2.0 is really far from the Strats I tried. We're probably liking different versions of the Strats. I'll keep 2.0 anyway, I'm using the Variax mainly for open tunings (Alter Bridge covers etc)

it seems pretty far removed... but i can hear some of those 1.9 stratlike qualities in the v2 400/jazzbox models... obviously a little different animal... but the smooth/warm tone is in there... 

the 400/jazzbox models anyway i KNOW it's not a strat... doesn't sound like one... just talking about some of the tonal qualities, that you like in the 1.9 strats.

Hey, I admit it, no problem :) But I was really wondering if there was some sort of bug, because version 2.0 is really far from the Strats I tried. We're probably liking different versions of the Strats. I'll keep 2.0 anyway, I'm using the Variax mainly for open tunings (Alter Bridge covers etc)

The first Strat reminds me a little more of my American Deluxe which has Fender's Cobalt Noiseless pickups. The second one reminds me more of the 2012 American Standard I have. It has the Fat 50's, which despite their name sound a little thinner to me. That's the thing, though, it's all subjective, and there are variations between what people want in a Strat. To me the ideal Strat sound is something more like the Edge's tone on "Where the Streets Have No Name. Have you tried adjusting any of the capacitance values, etc. on Workbench?

If it's down to opinions then... I'm in with the 1.9 crowd. I find the 2.0 versions of the Strat to have less character than the 1.9, especially with the B and high E strings. For me, there's a noticeable drop in volume on them.

If that's the way it's supposed to be then so be it. I guess I'll play around with WB. I just liked the way it sounded out of the box before. 

The first Strat reminds me a little more of my American Deluxe which has Fender's Cobalt Noiseless pickups. The second one reminds me more of the 2012 American Standard I have. It has the Fat 50's, which despite their name sound a little thinner to me. That's the thing, though, it's all subjective, and there are variations between what people want in a Strat. To me the ideal Strat sound is something more like the Edge's tone on "Where the Streets Have No Name. Have you tried adjusting any of the capacitance values, etc. on Workbench?

Yes, in fact I tweaked the Strat a lot since that Saturday video. Still not a big fan but I'll live with that.

Here's my bundle for those who want to try it : http://pages.intnet.mu/fremen/Patches/Fremen_19.08.2013.bun

(right click, save as)

First bank is the JTV89 with some tweaks, second another superstrat like bank, third is the tweaked Strat... I moved the Tele towards the end. feedback is welcome :) Someone know how to save the custom tunings on a computer ?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... isn't the 2.0 HD Spank model based upon a different Strat than the one in 1.9? The two different guitars likely sound totally different, and that may explain the differences in the Spank sounds. And yes, it is a matter of preference -- some will like the new HD model better. I find the 1.9 suits me better for the "Knopfler-esque" tones of positions 2 and 4, so back I went.

I've played so many different Strats throughout the years, and built several custom "Franken-Strats" as well. My current crop consists of an American Deluxe and American Special (both with Texas Special pickups), and a couple of Deluxes with Vintage Noiseless pickups. I had a '62 Reissue that someone had modified with the Gilmour EMG pickup set, and several with combinations of Fender and DiMarzio pickups. I prefer the Spank from 1.9.

Simply my opinion!

Well said....

i'm sure that there are tools in the new workbench to get you closer...

i suppose knowing the difference between the 2 modeled strats would tell you where to look...

i'm sure that someone will come up with the a model thats closer before we know it...

i may take a crack at it a bit later myself... 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but... isn't the 2.0 HD Spank model based upon a different Strat than the one in 1.9? The two different guitars likely sound totally different, and that may explain the differences in the Spank sounds. And yes, it is a matter of preference -- some will like the new HD model better. I find the 1.9 suits me better for the "Knopfler-esque" tones of positions 2 and 4, so back I went.

I've played so many different Strats throughout the years, and built several custom "Franken-Strats" as well. My current crop consists of an American Deluxe and American Special (both with Texas Special pickups), and a couple of Deluxes with Vintage Noiseless pickups. I had a '62 Reissue that someone had modified with the Gilmour EMG pickup set, and several with combinations of Fender and DiMarzio pickups. I prefer the Spank from 1.9.

Simply my opinion!