Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

Ok.... im happy for all you guys but im having a lot of troubles now.... my JTV59 is already updated and i already got the Workbench HD but when i tried to upload to the JTV59 all the bundle my guitar lost all the 60 sounds.... now im trying to actually turn it back to default and it appears some Code error  80009000..... anyone that can help me???? im about to start to cry.....

What bundle are you trying to upload? Keep in mind that pre-v2.0 models/bundles are not compatible with the v2.0 firmware. As stated in the release notes:

Be sure to backup any customer presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware.

You can reinstall v2.0 to restore the factory models/bundle.

Hi,

I am one of the initial "no-buyer" of FW 2.0 :D

This FW has absorbed pretty much time in the last days. I am lucky that I can spend some time before I go on vacation to figure out how the FW 2.0 works for me as a giging musician.

So I spend several time today in the rehearsal room. These are my outcomes so far. May be this is some kjnd of help / interest for some users:

1. I had my JTV89F with FW 1.9 and my JTV69 with FW 2.0 with me.

2. I played first on a clean amp model (use the Dream rig: HD500 , DT50 and JTVs) and compared FW 1.9 and 2.0 and for Start the magnetic PUs on the JTV 69. I played on gig level.

3. I first measured the volumes of the models and the strings compared to 1.9 + 2.0, because I saw some concerns regarding the different string volume on fw 2.0 especially on the Strat. I measured this with a VU-meter.

- The overall outcome is that the FW 2.0 has pretty much closer string volume than FW 1.9. For FW1.9 in each model special strings (regardless what position) are up to 10-12 db louder.

- The FW 2.0 volume levels are much closer. It differs maximum 3-4 db.

- On the Strat model in position 2+4 the B-string is 3-4 db lower than the other strings. This can be worked out with the WB HD-Software.

- I measrued Strat, Tele, ES335:

- The Strat model is in average approx. 3-4 db lower in volume than 1.9

- The Tele is about the same volume in FW 2.0 as in FW 1.9

- The ES335 is also 3-4 db lower in volume than 1.9

But the FW 2.0 have significant closer string volume differences than 1.9. That was a surprise to me. And this is a very good outcome and speaks fore FW 2.0.

2. I then played several models on a clean amp model:

I have to say that I cannot confirm that the new models have no balls or sound liveless. The opposite is the case to me:

- they react heavily more direct than 1.9: striking the plektron differently gives different sounds impuls,

- I have not heard articifial model overtunes in 2.0 as in some models of fw 1.9

- switching the PU-selector is very articulated and sounds now more pronounced.

3. Some specifics to the Strat-model:

- the model has lower output,

- position 2+4 has less twang. Also compared to the magnetic pus of the JTV69. Probably something which users have to "buy" as the flipside of the medaile, if they go for FW 2.0. But blending with the magnetics on the JTV69 should helpe I have heard in this forum.

- As this Strat Model has lower output it behaves different when it comes to overdrive /distortion. I checked one preset from me playing "Another brick in the wall". With some modifications of the Compressor, Tube drive, I was fairly quickly able to get the some behaviour of the Strat as in FW 1.9. And it sounded now good to me.

- On position 2+4 the B-string needs to be raised by 2-3 db to get the same level to the other strings (my personal recommendation).

4. Some specifics to the Tele:

- big improvement to me. Especially the position 4 (formely I guess with the tone knob rolled back ???).

5. Some specifics to the Semis:

- The position 1 on the ES335 is with less balls and thin compared to fw 1.9 YEP. BUT: I kicked out my Noise Gate and changed some parameters (Amp-Drive, more Amp-mids), changed the dist-pedal and I got the balls back.

- It does not sounds as under 1.9, but definetly no longer thin and/or liveless.

- The Epiphone (pos. 2+ 4) has pretty much lower volume (approx. -5dbs) compared to position 1/3/5

6. Some specifics to the Les Paul model:

- Stellar to me: the position 3+5 is now really usable. Switching between the PUs does now sounds pretty much more as a Les Paul.

- position 1 is very agressive and I like that for Gary Moore stuff.

The changes I have done to adapt the sounds to my presets was not so much I had thought before. It mainly affects the parameters of the Amp model EQ (Drive, Mid, Treble, etc.), DIST-pedals, Overdrive-pedals, Comp.).

In summary: It will take for sure several hours to adapt my approx. 100 presets to FW 2.0, but I can see now light at the end of the tunnel, because the models are pretty much more articulated. The only negative thing is the pos. 2+4 on the Strat. It simply sounds different to the magnetic PUs of the JTV or the FW 1.9.

That means to me: thumbs up for FW 2.0 now !

• Upvote 2

I'm using a Mac and immediately noticed that if I click on "Open Preset Folder" in WB-HD, I get an error.  Anyone get the same message? I searched thru the helpfile PDF, no clues there.

Works ok here with i5 MBP, latest version of ML.

Open Preset Folder opens the Workbench HD folder located at User>Documents>LIne 6>Tones>Workbench HD.

The changes I have done to adapt the sounds to my presets was not so much I had thought before. It mainly affects the parameters of the Amp model EQ (Drive, Mid, Treble, etc.), DIST-pedals, Overdrive-pedals, Comp.).

when you say this about to change parameters in the pod amps, you mean in a more or less (Drive, Mid, Treble, etc..)?

Curious, When you use HD Workbench can you change the names of the guitars... so that when you sync with HD Edit...

You can see the new names (instead of remembering what T-Model 1-5 is) when settting up patches for the Dream Rig?

If not, That would be a most excellent change... but not sure if the Variax stores name info for each preset in the hardware

to be able to pass along to the HD500/HD Edit.. side of the Dream Rig...

I updated to the jvt59 firmware, updated the audio/midi driver, updated monkey, installed hd workbench.

Everything went swimmingly EXCEPT the HD Workbench cannot find the Variax. I've tried connecting using the HD500 and the interface that came with the Variax. Still didn't work. I've rebooted, reinstalled HD Workbench..nothing.

The Old Workbench connects just fine and recognizes the guitar.

I know the firmware installed because the difference in the models is noticable.

I'm running a Macbook Pro 2.2GHZ I7 16GB Ram, Mountain Lion, I do have Logic X installed and use a Focusrite interface, however that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Any ideas? I'm out of them.

In case this didn't get resolved yet...

Does the Line 6 Monkey confirm the new firmware update when Tyler Variax is the selected device?

Also as mentioned by others, battery installed, or hooked up to VDI Digital Input equipped hardware  ?  1/4 plug inserted?

i5 MBP, OSX ML 10.8.4, Logic X (The new library presets for acoustic guitar really work well with the JTV acoustic models.  Same for electric guitar.)

post-1594793-0-00024000-1376933594_thumb.png

when you say this about to change parameters in the pod amps, you mean in a more or less (Drive, Mid, Treble, etc..)?

For clean-tone POD HD presets, I see some work on the amp model EQ to do under FW 2.0: Drive, treble, bass, etc. How much is depending on the guitar model we are talking. Under the models I use to play, Is see the main need to change the parameters for the Start-model and the ES335-model.

For the Strat model is see more work to do when it comes to distorted / overdrive sounds. As this new modelled Strat has LOWER output than the Start used in FW 1.9, you need to push your tone with other parts in your signal chain to get the same distortion/overdrive level as under FW 1.9. The effects which comes to mind mind for that are: dist-/overdrive-pedals, compressor and  drive-parameter of the amp model.

Another effect which seems to put under observation is the Noise Gate in the POD HD: At least the ES335 position 1 reacts pretty negatively with a Noise gate at the beginning of the signal chain.

For clean-tone POD HD presets, I see some work on the amp model EQ to do under FW 2.0: Drive, treble, bass, etc. How much is depending on the guitar model we are talking. Under the models I use to play, Is see the main need to change the parameters for the Start-model and the ES335-model.

For the Strat model is see more work to do when it comes to distorted / overdrive sounds. As this new modelled Strat has LOWER output than the Start used in FW 1.9, you need to push your tone with other parts in your signal chain to get the same distortion/overdrive level as under FW 1.9. The effects which comes to mind mind for that are: dist-/overdrive-pedals, compressor and  drive-parameter of the amp model.

Another effect which seems to put under observation is the Noise Gate in the POD HD: At least the ES335 position 1 reacts pretty negatively with a Noise gate at the beginning of the signal chain.

thanks

Good Luck, I tried to update hd2.0 to my 59 and now it's a chunk of firewood....no modeling at all and only half volume when it's on. Just plays on the pick-ups. I got the same error code, says my MIDI port was timed out? WTF

Chuckewheat

Go here: http://line6.com/software/

Download the 1.9 firmware and the 2.0 firmware to your computer. Open Monkey. Click "Update From File". Install 1.9 firmware. Click "Update From File". Install 2.0 firmware.

Again, it's only opinion but the JTV69 I have with all previous updates to 1.9 needed no work at all from me in WB to have a reliable gig worthy guitar. Ok, so there are some minor issues with specific string levels in some of the models but still on the whole, plug it into any amp as I do and or pods or G5 or whatever and it plays and sounded just fine. I had the V2 upgrade installed for 2 days and the absolute need to have to use WB to resolve issues like volume balancing across guitar models is ludicrous. I gave up using HD500 for anything live because of the serious amount of time involved in getting everything balanced and sounding great. My opinion is that Line 6 have ruined the strat, it sounds no where near as good as the stock pickups on my 69 or indeed my real strat. I would never use the 69 with V2 and I ain't in any mood to start messing about in WB to fix was wasn't broken and I doubt I could get anywhere close to a strat anyway and why the hell should I have to.

If I took my 69 out to a gig or jam and asked for opinions on my new strat sound they would roll about laughing. I'm not normally so anal about things but playin guitar is my life and the people who know me know that too and this stuff is important.

Sorry to sound a tad negative but I'll hold out now until Line 6 bring out a fix which I strongly imagine they are on with as we speak given all the concerns raised on this forum since the upgrade.

I love being a guinea pig, well sometimes. 

it very obviously is a problem of opinion... because my opinion is that the strat and every other guitar is vastly improved....

you disagree... or should we say... have a different opinion.

Well, at the risk of sounding grumpy - I'd disagree that it is ONLY a matter of opinion.  Of course opinion comes in to it.  For those who have a proper set of sounds after moving up to v2.0, they either prefer the new sounds, or the old sounds, or a mixture.

But what I'm talking about in my situation is NOT just a difference of opinion on the new sounds - it is that the new sounds are faulty.  They are wrong.  They are WAY out of whack - as I've already posted, they sound like somebody pushed the 1KHz EQ up full, and rolled off the top and bottom.  The levels are significantly down compared to the mag pups, and too many of the new sounds do NOT sound anywhere NEAR the sounds of the real things. 

And that is NOT just a matter of opinion - it is a matter of fact.  There is a problem here. It is a real problem, a fault. My ears may not be as golden as they once were, but I can tell the difference between a real Strat and the new models, or a real 335 and the ones in v2.0 which do not sound anything like a 335.  And a couple of others have also posted that the new models are thin, honky, and low level, which could be that they have the same problem I had.

But as you point out, v1.9 is still available - thank you Line6 - and I've reverted to it and all sounds fine again.

One of the key points is that in the couple of videos posted above, comparing v1.9 with v2.0 sounds, the differences are there, but they are not dramatic - they are refinements, differences in clarity and top end, etc.  But in my situation, the differences are VERY dramatic - and not for the better in v2.0     The new version - in MY guitar - does not sound anything like the ones being played in those videos.

There IS a problem, Houston - it is not JUST a matter of opinion.

PS: I tried last night to do what was suggested earlier - I went back to v1.7, then straight to v2.0, but it was no better.  v2.0 still sounded awful.  So I've gone back to v1.9, and will be sticking with it.

• Upvote 1

http://snd.sc/19EUB9i little sample of strat pos 2 and variax mags, ... really disappeared quack

Firts variax model and 2 part variax mags

Yes, point made here. In this comparison at least, the "quack" that is classic to a strat sound is just not there. It's especially evident when you hear the Variax mags come in. Hmmm :unsure: 

Thanks for the audio/video comparisons and examples guys. We can discuss this stuff all day long, but hearing IS believing. Unfortunately, I'm starting to become convinced that a very generic single-coil sound (v 2.0) has replaced what used to be a more characteristic "vintage" strat sound; at least on positions 2 and 4. I do prefer the bridge position on the 2.0 model though, so my opinions are not entirely consistent. Also, I will agree that the bell-like tone is more accurate for a 50s strat with maple neck. The 2.0 strat model's neck pickup is indicative of that sound. In the best of both worlds, I would have both models :D

that's not what i hear.. i think you have other issues.

Well, at the risk of sounding grumpy - I'd disagree that it is ONLY a matter of opinion.  Of course opinion comes in to it.  For those who have a proper set of sounds after moving up to v2.0, they either prefer the new sounds, or the old sounds, or a mixture.

But what I'm talking about in my situation is NOT just a difference of opinion on the new sounds - it is that the new sounds are faulty.  They are wrong.  They are WAY out of whack - as I've already posted, they sound like somebody pushed the 1KHz EQ up full, and rolled off the top and bottom.  The levels are significantly down compared to the mag pups, and too many of the new sounds do NOT sound anywhere NEAR the sounds of the real things. 

And that is NOT just a matter of opinion - it is a matter of fact.  There is a problem here. It is a real problem, a fault. My ears may not be as golden as they once were, but I can tell the difference between a real Strat and the new models, or a real 335 and the ones in v2.0 which do not sound anything like a 335.  And a couple of others have also posted that the new models are thin, honky, and low level, which could be that they have the same problem I had.

But as you point out, v1.9 is still available - thank you Line6 - and I've reverted to it and all sounds fine again.

One of the key points is that in the couple of videos posted above, comparing v1.9 with v2.0 sounds, the differences are there, but they are not dramatic - they are refinements, differences in clarity and top end, etc.  But in my situation, the differences are VERY dramatic - and not for the better in v2.0     The new version - in MY guitar - does not sound anything like the ones being played in those videos.

There IS a problem, Houston - it is not JUST a matter of opinion.

PS: I tried last night to do what was suggested earlier - I went back to v1.7, then straight to v2.0, but it was no better.  v2.0 still sounded awful.  So I've gone back to v1.9, and will be sticking with it.

that's not what i hear.. i think you have other issues.

I agree completely.  That's what I've been trying to say, basically.  That there are issues, and not just opinions.  SOMETHING is not compatible between v2.0 and my JTV-69US.  I have no idea what that could be.  Yet the v1.9 sounds are just fine (as were the earlier ones).

Apart from the RAM suggestion somebody posted a few pages back, I'm not techie enough to think of what else the problem could be.  And I doubt that it's mechanical (eg the piezos in the bridge) as it all works fine with v1.9.  But something just ain't right - yes, there are issues.  Those issues are specific to v2.0 firmware and my JTV-69 (along with a couple of others posting here, I think).  But I have absolutely no idea what the issues are.

One of the cover bands I gig with is predominantly a Shadows band (Hank Marvin, etc) - and requires a very specific type of Strat sound.  I can get it from the JTV mag pickups.  I can get it from the v1.9 Spank models. And of course I can get it from my '62 Strat.  But there is no way I can get even close to it using v2.0 - on MY guitar.  I'm not trying to suggest that the problem is the same for everyone - it very obviously isn't.  But in my case, it IS a problem, and a real one.

Somehow I've managed to spend the last two months gigging and rehearsing with a totally un-giggable guitar... How did I do it?

Seriously, I do think there may be an issue where some people are having some sort of corruption come through in the update or something, because the experience you're describing here is totally the opposite of my experience when I installed the new models two months ago (beta firmware version back then, but the overall sound of the new models didn't really change much throughout the process). To me going from 1.9 to the HD models was like night and day for the better. There was much more distinction between models and they all seemed more realistic to me. It's almost embarrassing in a way because I thought the old 1.9 models were good, too. But the 2.0 were/are just a lot better. I should also add I have the JTV69US as well, so I don't think it's anything inherent to any of the specific models. It seems like issues are probably with individual guitars more than anything.

The one thing I will say is that the majority of my playing hasn't been with the Dream Rig. It's been with my usual gigging rig - an M13 and other pedals with a Deluxe Reverb most of the time. So it wasn't like I had a huge collection of patches I was basing my experience on. I have tried it with the VDI cable and the HD500 just to make sure it was OK. And it seemed OK to me then, too.

It seems like issues are probably with individual guitars more than anything.

THAT seems to be the key issue, as far as I can tell.  I don't think it's a corrupted download problem, given that I've downloaded v2.0 now on four separate occasions, and done the update 4 times in total, 3 using Monkey, and one using "Update from file".  And the updates go through just fine - message at the end telling me all went OK, the works.

But something - with my individual guitar - is very different from what others are getting and hearing.  So my point is that while many - probably most - are getting an improvement in the models with v2.0, there are some who are getting bad results.  I can't figure out what it is, but it is real.  It's not my imagination.  Comparing @guitar4u's sound clip of the 335 model with what my individual guitar sounds like using that exact same model is like listening to a real 335 (his clip) then listening to a cheap toy guitar down a telephone line! 

So yes - it seems to be something individual.  Now if it's JUST mine, then I have an issue that I need to take up with Line6.  But if some of the others who have posted that they are hearing similar to what I had, then the problem may be something that Line6 need to track down in the firmware.

OK - off to work here, so will be "off the air" all day, and I have a gig tonight - will be the JTV69 via an M13 into my MusicMan HD130.  And v1.9 firmware on the JTV... ;)

I can't wait to see where this takes us. IMO, the maple neck strat pictured here will cure the quack you guys crave. Try decreasing the middle pickup volume to -5db to help the quack in pos 4.

I wish at least somebody would comment on this. Can any of the beta testers confirm or deny that this photo is real, or once was real, or will be real in the future? My guess is that it's one of two things:

1. These models were removed after a while because they took up too much memory (Or, for whatever reason, they just couldn't get them to sound right) and they settled on the models we have now or

2. These models will be released in a future update as either an add-on pack, or as an incremental upgrade to what we already have in v2.0.

Please, can somebody comment?

I wish at least somebody would comment on this. Can any of the beta testers confirm or deny that this photo is real, or once was real, or will be real in the future? My guess is that it's one of two things:

If beta testers did know they wouldn't be allowed to comment on it because of the NDA... But, I can say, I have no idea where that picture came from or what it means as far as the future of the JTV is concerned.

If beta testers did know they wouldn't be allowed to comment on it because of the NDA... But, I can say, I have no idea where that picture came from or what it means as far as the future of the JTV is concerned.

So...you're saying there's a chance?! ;-)

Hi,

one update on my DEAD battery in my JTV89F which I attributed to the FW 2.0 update. May be this is helpful for some users:

I realized that one of the two connectors were bent out of shape. Once I brought the connector back to normal shape with a small screwdriver the battery worked as it should be. And I was able to upload the JTV89F model presets to CUSTOM 1 bank. I guess I caused this due to my less experience in swoping the batteries in a JTV (I mainly use them powered with a VDI cable).

I will continue to report on my progress to adapt the POD HD presets on FW 2.0 using a DR (JTVS / POD HD / DT50). One thing came up to my mind after I have made some comments on my testing at the rehearsal room yesterday in this Thread:

All the guitars which have now lower output compared to FW 1.9 (I see this especially on the Strat-model and on the ES335 pos. 1-3-5) will likely need more Amp-volume than before. This is an assumption for now. If I remember correctly from yesterdays rehearsal noodeling around, the sounds got more lively by increasing the amp-volume on the amp model I have used (Marshall Plexi Lead). But this will quickly come real when I will start to balance my presets volume wise with a VU-meter.

I didn't see any comments about the acoustic guitar sound. I always loved the Acoustic-5 sound and used it many times instead of bringing real acoustic guitar.  but now on the 2.0 it is very "sick, hollow and dull... right after I updated I had a gig and it sounded very bad and the soundman (a good one) could not fix it so I gave up the acoustic sound on that show.

any other experience?

... it's from the line6 homepage itself (german version) ;) maybe a mistake ...

http://de.line6.com/news/general/1433

... and I guess it will be dissapear very soon ;)

update : it's deleted now and no explaining words from the wise ... :(

... it's from the line6 homepage itself (german version) ;) maybe a mistake ...http://de.line6.com/news/general/1433

... and I guess it will be dissapear very soon ;)

Some highlights from the German to English translation:

"The HD models James Tyler Variax-Gitarren are absolutely free of drunkenness...."

"Completely new ‘Workbench HD’ software makes easier the unbureaucratic construction"

So, the German version looks more interesting indeed! LOL How can we get hold of THIS Variax?!

I play the Teles, Strats, and Les Pauls 90% of the time.  My quick review since upgrading...

1) Love the new Workbench format. Slow to sync, but so much better experience to edit.  Hate how it doesn't work yet with the POD HD500.

2) The new Telecasters sound amazing.  Love the new Wide Range pickup option in positions 2 and 4.  Never used the previous 2 and 4 Tele models...they sucked.

3) Like the new Les Paul models a lot.  A little brighter and crisper.

4) Hate the new Strat models.  The bell chimey thing has all but disappeared in positions 2 and 4.  This fact alone will cause me downgrade to 1.9!  Don't want to lose the new T-Models and Lesters, but that's the compromise I guess.

5) Like the new 89 pickup options, but wish they had a lot more grit.  I've got a Les Paul Classic and was hoping those new pickups would replicate a more hot, mid-rangey sounding Les.

What's unfortunate is that both all-mahogany (Jr. or SG-type) and telecaster "Thinline" bodies are now missing, and for me, this keeps the guitar from being a complete vintage collection. Also, 2 stratocasters (one with a maple neck, and one with a rosewood neck, from both 50s and 60s-era) are needed to complete that package. Now, interestingly this German photo has all of these models in place. Go figure!

4) Hate the new Strat models.  The bell chimey thing has all but disappeared in positions 2 and 4.  This fact alone will cause me downgrade to 1.9!  Don't want to lose the new T-Models and Lesters, but that's the compromise I guess.

Funny because to me the new Strat sound chimier and more bell-like than the old one. One thing I'd say is that it may be worth a string change before making the decision to roll back. New strings can make all the difference in the world on the Variax guitars.