Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

Oh yea I already did phil... Of course,  I cant see for the life of me why you might own a digital guitar like the JTV without a digital platform (like the Pod) to play it thru... But I guess there's some out there...  :P

There are many of us who don't use PODs.  I plug my JTV directly into my Vetta2 and call up presets using a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal, and based on the Vetta forums, there are many other people who use this setup.  I don't like any PODs and Line6 foot pedals because they only give me 4 or 5 presets per bank and I like having 10 presets per bank.

ok, the important thing is that you found the big bug, this whole discussion about the spank 2 and 4, in my opinion comes from this bug, because when the two pickups are really working the quack appears, right?
And also shows that this thing 2/4 spank was not matter of opinion, there is indeed a bug

do you agree?

Thanks. I made that video but don't know where to find the support ticket, lol

ok

yes, me too worked but anyway it's a bug, because we did was one inventive solution to a bug, but I think still, line 6 should fix it, seems a software problem of the jtv 2.0

Obviously a bug.

But swapping the neck with the bridge PU and the changing the models for the PUs solved it for me. Now that axe is fully working. Seems more like a solution than a workaround.

Obviously a bug.

But swapping the neck with the bridge PU and changing the models for the PUs solved it for me. Now that axe is fully working. Seems more like a solution than a workaround.

I'm not quite sure I'm following your workaround.  By swapping, I assume you mean physically dragging bridge to neck and letting them swap places (?), but what does "changing the models for the PUs" mean?  Are you switching to a different type of pickup?  I think a brief step-by-step would be very helpful if you have a chance to post it.

Sorry to be dense, but I'd really like to fix this on my JTV-69.

hi, you are off the bridge, dragging the neck to the bridge and set the neck identical to the bridge, angle and so on, for some reason when the neck goes to the bridge seems to sound like the bridge. at the end you can save

I'm not quite sure I'm following your workaround.  By swapping, I assume you mean physically dragging bridge to neck and letting them swap places (?), but what does "changing the models for the PUs" mean?  Are you switching to a different type of pickup?  I think a brief step-by-step would be very helpful if you have a chance to post it.

Sorry to be dense, but I'd really like to fix this on my JTV-69.

For Position 2 do the following:
1. Grab the neck PU and draw it somewhat towards the bridge

2. Grab the bridge  PU and draw it to the old position of the neck PU.
3. Grab the PU from step 1 again and draw it to the original first position of the bridge PU.
4. For this PU edit the value for position to 1.7" and the angle to 10.7. Level at 0db is quite good.
5. Now change the PU type of this PU to spank bridge.
6. Activate the middle and the bridge PU.

7. Upload to variax.
Done.
These steps worked for me and everything works as expected.

• Upvote 2

For Position 2 do the following:

1. Grab the neck PU and draw it somewhat towards the bridge

2. Grab the bridge  PU and draw it to the old position of the neck PU.

3. Grab the PU from step 1 again and draw it to the original first position of the bridge PU.

4. For this PU edit the value for position to 1.7" and the angle to 10.7. Level at 0db is quite good.

5. Now change the PU type of this PU to spank bridge.

6. Activate the middle and the bridge PU.

7. Upload to variax.

Done.

These steps worked for me and everything works as expected.

Could you do this forum (and ME :D) a HUGE favor and upload a copy of your modified .whd file?

And maybe post a soundclip or vid demo of the modified tone?

Could you do this forum (and ME :D) a HUGE favor and upload a copy of your modified .whd file?

And maybe post a soundclip or vid demo of the modified tone?

looks like someone posted it already -

Try this to see if it will work for you guys. You should be able to save it now. There is nowhere else to share, so I put it in my google drive. Here is position 2 setting .

the guitars and the switch are correct if you have this on a desk in front of you....

the guitars are as they would be on your lap...

although it does look upside down if you intend to wall mount it :D

Hans, thank you. This is the best chart I've seen - very good.

...Except that all the guitars are upside down ;)

There are many of us who don't use PODs.  I plug my JTV directly into my Vetta2 and call up presets using a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI pedal, and based on the Vetta forums, there are many other people who use this setup.  I don't like any PODs and Line6 foot pedals because they only give me 4 or 5 presets per bank and I like having 10 presets per bank.

Well yes, but I also own a vetta 2 (that has the variax digital interface like the pod HD 500/x and Pro). So take away the amplifier in it and you will have mostly a pod left over, give or take... But I see where you are using the FCB1010 and why. Nice setup there...  :)

I'm not understanding something, so that was discussed here about strat 2 and 4, so many people like different opinions, so much controversy, but now we actually found that there is a bug and it was not just question of opinion but of software, and yet, it seems to me that people do not give much importance, anyone? you guys do not think this bug is very important and that it is fixed to bring back the sound of strat we were looking for? obviously say this more for those who were not satisfied with the sound of strat

• Upvote 1

I'm not understanding something, so that was discussed here about strat 2 and 4, so many people like different opinions, so much controversy, but now we actually found that there is a bug and it was not just question of opinion but of software, and yet, it seems to me that people do not give much importance, anyone? you guys do not think this bug is very important and that it is fixed to bring back the sound of strat we were looking for? obviously say this more for those who were not satisfied with the sound of strat

There is a bug, there is an easy workaround (follow the directions above or download the fixed Strat and upload to your JTV) and the bug has been reported to Line 6.

Not sure that everyone experienced the bug, the people who did not experience loss of Strat tone may not be seeing the same thing on their computer.

Don't know what kind of response you are looking for from people (an angry mob with pitchforks and torches maybe?) , but if there is an easy workaround and Line 6 has been made aware of the problem I don't know what more we can ask for at the moment - I am sure it will be addressed in a future version of firmware/Workbench, for now it looks like a problem that is easily remedied.

Well, just for fun, I tried a little experiment last night.  A friend who has a JTV69 Korean came over to my place, and I upgraded his guitar to v2.0.  And the sounds were good. (Except the Spank positions 2 and 4 which we both disliked compared to v1.9, but workarounds have been given as above).

I then re-updated my JTV69 (US-made) one more time (that's the 5th time now) using the exact same file (I used Monkey and "Update from file" for both his and mine) and mine sounded TERRIBLE - again. Absolutely nothing like his, and nothing like the sounds that have been posted here.  He hated the new sounds on my JTV as much as I did - yet HIS JTV sounded fine - except for the level mis-matches which need to be sorted out.

So, there we have it. There is a problem with the new firmware and my individual guitar (and perhaps others on here who have posted similar results). The puzzling thing for me is that some sounds - particularly the Lester models - are great.  Love 'em.  So it seems not to be a systemic problem with the update and the guitar - it's something in the way the models are rendered in my guitar.  And it can't be the guitar hardware - as v1.9 sounds just fine (and sounds the same as my mate's Korean JTV with v1.9). So if there is a problem with the digital electronics in my JTV (and perhaps other peoples' as well) such as the RAM problem that has been one suggestion, then it needs to be addressed.

Same firmware file, two different JTV69s, vastly different results and sounds.  Can't get any more definite than that, of a problem existing.  New sounds on mine are honky, thin, low level, and sound like they're coming down a telephone line.  On his guitar, they're brighter, sparklier, and have more "air" than the v1.9 models - just as described by so many on here. (apart from the Spank positions 2 & 4 problems).

So - is this just MY guitar?  If so - what the heck could it be? Or is it something that apllies to certain guitars of which mine happens to be one? There have been a couple of people posted on here that they get sounds like I get with the update - what is the common factor between our guitars?  Line6 - you there?

Once again, I'm quite happily back on v1.9.  I'm getting to be quite a dab hand at doing these firmware flashes almost blindfolded by now... ;)

• Upvote 1

@ The_Doc_Rock:

Thanks for confirming that there's something wrong with your particular guitar. I am attempting to escalate within Line 6 the possibility that there is some potential latent hardware issue with some guitars when upgrading to v2.0 (whether it's RAM or some other hardware issue). I don't really have any special information or influence, but I'll keep you posted if I hear anything about this.

Meanwhile, you should definitely open a support ticket for your issue.

P.S. Also, make sure you are following, exactly, the update instructions posted here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2128-jtv-20-try-this/

Unless you are doing this exact procedure the assumption by Line 6 will be (rightly) user error.

Edited by silverhead
added info

@ The_Doc_Rock:

Thanks for confirming that there's something wrong with your particular guitar. I am attempting to escalate within Line 6 the possibility that there is some potential latent hardware issue with some guitars when upgrading to v2.0 (whether it's RAM or some other hardware issue). I don't really have any special information or influence, but I'll keep you posted if I hear anything about this.

P.S. Also, make sure you are following, exactly, the update instructions posted here:

Unless you are doing this exact procedure the assumption by Line 6 will be (rightly) user error.

Thanks Silverhead (great nick, by the way).  Yes, that method is exactly what I have been doing, including making sure that the JTV is in mag pickup mode, the volume is not set to zero, and used the supplied USB interface box - the little one with the two lights in it - both green.  I also made sure that the battery in the JTV was a freshly, fully charged battery (may be worth adding to those instructions, by the way) just in case battery drain during the update caused any corruption.  Although given that I've now done it 5 times, and got the "All good" message each time it finished, I think it can be safely assumed that the update PROCEDURE all went OK.

I'm at work here, and can't really search back through the threads, but I'm sure that there at least a couple of others who posted that they got results similar to mine.  Would it be worth messaging them and getting them to re-flash if possible to confirm the problem?

Thanks for your help and response - much appreciated.  I KNEW it wasn't just my ears...! :D

Well this is a big relief.  Given the Spank 2-4 resolution and the "some JTV's don't accept the upgrade very well", I'm set.  Love the 2-4  positions when the virtual pickups are working right  A big thumbs up to this upgrade.  Looking forward to being able to adjust my JTV through my HD500 along with the "spank" bug fix.

silverhead, on 20 Aug 2013 - 16:56, said:

@ The_Doc_Rock:

I followed the directions to a t and the download would write about halfway and then quit with a MIDI timed out error 8000900c. I tried reflashing, downloading from a saved file, tried to rollback to 1.90 and now monkey doesn't even recognize my JTV59. So with all these directions from everybody it seems like this whole thing is WAY TO COMPLICATED. Maybe I have to stand on my left leg with the right leg in the air pointed east toward Mecca all the while chanting like a Buddist Monk too??? Once you have everything hooked up and you have 2 green lights in the usb interface box it should work but mine doesn't. Everybody that plays your guitars isn't some kinda computer genius and line 6 needs to work this out before everybody is ruining their guitars with up-loads that are faulty from the get-go. Also some sort of failsafe on the mainboard to protect it in case of an interrupted download or power loss would save me from having ruined my guitar. I'm MORE THAN PISSED cause everything worked just fine until 2.0. This site is LOADED with people who are having the exact same problem as I'm having. I sure didn't have any trouble when I first updated to 1.90 when it came out, so I sure don't understand why this whole thing has turned out to be a GIANT TURD.

Chuckewheat, Lead guitar

Billy & The Bigfoots

Blues Dance Band

Edited by chuckewheat

@chukewheat:

I believe you already have a support ticket open with Line 6 tech support. Please continue to work with them on this.

Also, fyi..... I am not a Line 6 employee (nor are any of us carrying the tag Line 6 Expert. We are just users like you, with experience). I understand your frustration, but I am not your target.

I have been reading all of this and I have only read about one dead JTV after trying to upgrade. (and some that took more than one try to get it done)  Given the way Firmware upgrading works, some of them are going to have problems.  That is to be expected when you are blowing away the brains and loading new ones.  There is a window where things can go bad and there is no recovery.  It happens to me every so often in my Day Job developing Hard Drives.

silverhead, on 20 Aug 2013 - 17:56, said:

@chukewheat:

I believe you already have a support ticket open with Line 6 tech support. Please continue to work with them on this.

Also, fyi..... I am not a Line 6 employee (nor are any of us carrying the tag Line 6 Expert. We are just users like you, with experience). I understand your frustration, but I am not your target.

I don't believe that I said anything about anybody personaly, so I don't get your idea that you or anyone else is a "target"?

If I had anything to say, I'd address you directly.....

silverhead, on 20 Aug 2013 - 18:29, said:

I guess I got the idea because you quoted me in your post. I'm sorry your JTV is bricked - I'm sure Line 6 will resolve it.

No intention to offend anyone by me.I was more blowing off on all the complicated directions and wondering why this is the first time most of us have even heard of all this ,disconnect,reconnect, reflash, download 25 times chew gum take out the battery, reconnect everything and then get a bad sounding guitar for yer efforts , that's if you can get it to work at all. I think I might have actually gotten ahold of Justin Bebber's Monkey by accident! Sorry if all this was taken in the wrong way.

Chuckewheat

Well, just for fun, I tried a little experiment last night.  A friend who has a JTV69 Korean came over to my place, and I upgraded his guitar to v2.0.  And the sounds were good. (Except the Spank positions 2 and 4 which we both disliked compared to v1.9, but workarounds have been given as above).

I then re-updated my JTV69 (US-made) one more time (that's the 5th time now) using the exact same file (I used Monkey and "Update from file" for both his and mine) and mine sounded TERRIBLE - again. Absolutely nothing like his, and nothing like the sounds that have been posted here.  He hated the new sounds on my JTV as much as I did - yet HIS JTV sounded fine - except for the level mis-matches which need to be sorted out.

So, there we have it. There is a problem with the new firmware and my individual guitar (and perhaps others on here who have posted similar results). The puzzling thing for me is that some sounds - particularly the Lester models - are great.  Love 'em.  So it seems not to be a systemic problem with the update and the guitar - it's something in the way the models are rendered in my guitar.  And it can't be the guitar hardware - as v1.9 sounds just fine (and sounds the same as my mate's Korean JTV with v1.9). So if there is a problem with the digital electronics in my JTV (and perhaps other peoples' as well) such as the RAM problem that has been one suggestion, then it needs to be addressed.

Same firmware file, two different JTV69s, vastly different results and sounds.  Can't get any more definite than that, of a problem existing.  New sounds on mine are honky, thin, low level, and sound like they're coming down a telephone line.  On his guitar, they're brighter, sparklier, and have more "air" than the v1.9 models - just as described by so many on here. (apart from the Spank positions 2 & 4 problems).

So - is this just MY guitar?  If so - what the heck could it be? Or is it something that apllies to certain guitars of which mine happens to be one? There have been a couple of people posted on here that they get sounds like I get with the update - what is the common factor between our guitars?  Line6 - you there?

Once again, I'm quite happily back on v1.9.  I'm getting to be quite a dab hand at doing these firmware flashes almost blindfolded by now... ;)

Hello, I read all your posts and can confirm my guitar has EXACTLY the same symptoms as yours after upgrade to 2.0. I tried reflashiíng back to 1.9 and to 2.0 again, but with the same result. Obviously there is a bug in firmware showing on some guitars only.