Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Now Available: Variax Hd Upgrade And Workbench Hd Software

For Position 2 do the following:

1. Grab the neck PU and draw it somewhat towards the bridge

2. Grab the bridge  PU and draw it to the old position of the neck PU.

3. Grab the PU from step 1 again and draw it to the original first position of the bridge PU.

4. For this PU edit the value for position to 1.7" and the angle to 10.7. Level at 0db is quite good.

5. Now change the PU type of this PU to spank bridge.

6. Activate the middle and the bridge PU.

7. Upload to variax.

Done.

These steps worked for me and everything works as expected.

He Dude - you are a genius !

Tried your suggestions for Strat position 2. In addition to that, I reduced the string volume of E-A-D-G to 80% and let the B-E stay at 100% (not possible to increase string volume above 100%). And I increased the preset volume +3db. The pos 2+4 is about 3-4 db lower in volume than 1-3-5. I also integrated your suggestions on Tone pot, etc for Strat-position 2.

For Strat-position 4 I left the original FW 2.0, but I did the same with the string volume as in position 2. The increased string volume even better supports the bell ringing tone to me.

I made a quick recording on that. The playing is quite sloppy. I was more focused on the tone. I have used the Fender Twin Reverb of the HD 500 with a little spring reverb directly into an audio interface and then recorded with Cubase.

I have made 2 example for each of the position 2 + 4. The first one is always the workaround for FW 2.0 and the second is the original FW 2.0.

The bells are ringing again to my ears:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12464830&q=hi&newref=1

To me this is a very good workaround. Thanks - you made my day !!!

• Upvote 2

+ 1, that works, thanks ReverendLove !

Wolbai, I also decreased the EADG individual levels, but more than you, to around 60%, and raised the bridge pickup level by the maximum

I still like 1.9 quack more, but I can live with the mansonite guitar body + ReverendLove workaround, so I'm good to go

Tried your suggestions for Strat position 2. In addition to that, I reduced the string volume of E-A-D-G to 80% and let the B-E stay at 100% (not possible to increase string volume above 100%). And I increased the preset volume +3db. The pos 2+4 is about 3-4 db lower in volume than 1-3-5. I also integrated your suggestions on Tone pot, etc for Strat-position 2.

For Strat-position 4 I left the original FW 2.0, but I did the same with the string volume as in position 2. The increased string volume even better supports the bell ringing tone to me.

I made a quick recording on that. The playing is quite sloppy. I was more focused on the tone. I have used the Fender Twin Reverb of the HD 500 with a little spring reverb directly into an audio interface and then recorded with Cubase.

I have made 2 example for each of the position 2 + 4. The first one is always the workaround for FW 2.0 and the second is the original FW 2.0.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12464830&q=hi&newref=1

+ 1, that works, thanks ReverendLove !

Wolbai, I also decreased the EADG individual levels, but more than you, to around 60%, and raised the bridge pickup level by the maximum

I still like 1.9 quack more, but I can live with the mansonite guitar body + ReverendLove workaround, so I'm good to go

Hi fremen,

I agree. It is not completely like 1.9 or the magnetic PUs on the JTV69. But it is very good workaround which I am willing to go for. I see FW 2.0 as a package. And this was the missing part. I am pretty convineced that there will be an update from L6 in the near future. At least I am looking for that. Will try your suggestions to go even more into extrems with the string volume. But the string volume is definetely a part which helps to get bell ringing back.

• Upvote 1

As I have a JTV89, I can't even rely on the magnetic pickups for that sound  :(  (if only Line 6 chose to wire them like on a Strat instead of just splitting one pickup... and rewiring the mag pickups look like a delicate task)

Hi fremen,

I agree. It is not completely like 1.9 or the magnetic PUs on the JTV69. But it is very good workaround which I am willing to go for. I see FW 2.0 as a package. And this was the missing part. I am pretty convineced that there will be an update from L6 in the near future. At least I am looking for that. Will try your suggestions to go even more into extrems with the string volume. But the string volume is definetely a part which helps to get bell ringing back.

Chuckewheat,

Are you able to connect to Monkey and "roll back" the Flash to v1.82? (do not use v1.82b)

Then attempt an update from there to v1.90 according to the "... Try This" document.

Then, again from v1.90 to v2.00 Flash. Might want to do it incrementally.

-Partev

• Upvote 1

My problem is similar to previously mentioned posts on various forums. Instead of my E and B strings being softer than the others on the Spank bank, it is softer on all the electric banks. Only on the Reso and acoustic banks are the levels the same. Dropping all the string levels except E and B in workbench doesn't seem to be a solution at this stage. Everything works fine in 1.90. Pity, cause I love the

Lester, Reso and Acoustic upgrades. The other banks still sound extremely lacking in tonality. Flashed 11 times with a couple of double flashes for good measure. Also did incremental flashes. Opened a ticket last night.

Hey all,

I left a comment in the JTV 2.0 Try This thread regarding my update experience. Spank bank 4 is now working but 2 is still not holding the pickup selection. I have opened a ticket and will try the work around for now.

Other comments on the 2.0 update.

1) The Specials sound much better to me now and may become my goto.

2) In 1.9 and earlier the tone knob needed to be rolled back a touch, in 2.0 that no longer seems to be the case, at least for me.

3) Really digging the new work bench, setting up and saving alt tunings and writing them to the guitar was a breeze and I like the visual interface.

Update, to get position 2 to save used the process specified above. Must be a problem with the orignal bridge pick up.

Seems like attempt 12 was the charm. Tried all this before, but this time this sequence worked. Everything seems to be working as it should. Steps were:

- Downgraded to 1.90, then 1.82.

- Re-installed to 2.0 with Variax usb box and 1/4 jack. Volume 0 and magnetic pickups selected.

Big difference in sound! Adjusted most presets with 3db to get on magnetic level (Lester 1 was already very louder than rest). Thanks to all the suggestions. 

but you did downgraded because you had the problem to put 2.0 or made ​​only as experience?

Seems like attempt 12 was the charm. Tried all this before, but this time this sequence worked. Everything seems to be working as it should. Steps were:

- Re-installed to 2.0 with Variax usb box and 1/4 jack. Volume 0 and magnetic pickups selected.

Big difference in sound! Adjusted most presets with 3db to get on magnetic level (Lester 1 was already very louder than rest). Thanks to all the suggestions. 

I'm pretty sure volume = 0 is the wrong way to do it as it puts the guitar in sleep mode when powered by the battery.

i would have thought the same... but if you're in mag mode which was another one of the recommendations... its off anyway right?

I'm pretty sure volume = 0 is the wrong way to do it as it puts the guitar in sleep mode when powered by the battery.

Chuckewheat: even though I have my own problems with v2.0, yours sounds more serious resulting in a bricked guitar. My guess - and of course it's only that - is that the USB interface, the little plastic box with the lights in it - may be the problem.  But that's just me taking a punt!  Will be very interested to hear how it goes and what they find.

Just to be clear for everybody who may have overseen the Thread "Variax 2.0 Spank Bug ?":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above mentioned Workaround for position 2 initially suggested 2 days ago by " ReverendLove" (without string volume adaption) is now the official Line6 workaround confirmed by Line6 for a Software-Bug (see link):

http://line6.com/support/topic/2121-variax-20-spank-bug/page-2

And this issue is NOT attributed to any wrong / corrupted installation of the FW 2.0. I personally add to that workaround - as mentioned above - the string volume changes (for position 2 AND 4) to come even closer to FW 1.9 or the magnetic PUs of the JTV69.

Spank Bug ?":

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above mentioned Workaround for position 2 initially suggested 2 days ago by " ReverendLove" (without string volume adaption) is now the official Line6 workaround confirmed by Line6 for a Software-Bug (see link):

Just sayin', I posted not only the fix first, but also the file set.   :ph34r:

• Upvote 1

Just sayin', I posted not only the fix first, but also the file set.   :ph34r:

Not that easy to correctly follow up that Thread with now 18 pages. Sorry for that. But most of all I am very happy that the Start-model went back to a more Vintage sound. ;)

Here is my take. I have just flashed to 2.and the guitar sounds a hell of a lot better to me. Gone are the warbles on the 12 strings, the model Ric is a vast improvement, there is more definition between all models and last but not least I reckon the spank two sounds way better to me too. Before the guitar sounded very odd in particular the 12 strings on both electric and acoustic. I was hesitant to do the update but couldn't resist, I got the timed out error but did it again and it went through.

I am using it through the pod hd, the sound of the models is more organic, brighter, hotter ( particulary the les paul) responsive to pick attack and the P90's now sound like P90's also the volume jump from mags to models is less of a shock. I for one am pleased with this new version, but to me the Strat two position sounds very nice if slightly darker than 1.9. Verdict, I'm sticking on two for now. Cheers.

Not that easy to correctly follow up that Thread with now 18 pages. Sorry for that. But most of all I am very happy that the Start-model went back to a more Vintage sound. ;)

Very much so!  Thanks for the string settings tips, too.  I hadn't thought of that.  Mine are 70, 60, 60, 60, 100, 100 now FWIW.  Sounding good now, guys.  Thanks!

Very much so!  Thanks for the string settings tips, too.  I hadn't thought of that.  Mine are 70, 60, 60, 60, 100, 100 now FWIW.  Sounding good now, guys.  Thanks!

I ended up now pretty similar to you on the string volume: 60-60-60-60-100-100.

Well I have just spent an hour or so on the guitar and that Strat 2 and 4 sounds like a Strat to me. It has spank, sparkle and I reckon it sounds better than 1.9. Like I said earlier, the guitar is now a vast improvement on 1.9. I have found that although first impressions of the Ric 12 were good and better than the previous version, there is still if not as much strangeness in the notes. The only box I have had that could come close to a 12 string was a Yamaha magic stomp and it was made in the 90's, very difficult to emulate a 12 string electric.

I have not connected to the workbench so I have no idea whether the bug has been fixed, but this guitar in position 2 and 4 sounds fine to me as do all of the other models including the Ric 12. I have always liked brighter sounding guitars so maybe it's just personal taste, it  sounds like a real guitar and plays like one too. I'm happy.

Well I have just spent an hour or so on the guitar and that Strat 2 and 4 sounds like a Strat to me. It has spank, sparkle and I reckon it sounds better than 1.9. Like I said earlier, the guitar is now a vast improvement on 1.9. I have found that although first impressions of the Ric 12 were good and better than the previous version, there is still if not as much strangeness in the notes. The only box I have had that could come close to a 12 string was a Yamaha magic stomp and it was made in the 90's, very difficult to emulate a 12 string electric.

I have not connected to the workbench so I have no idea whether the bug has been fixed, but this guitar in position 2 and 4 sounds fine to me as do all of the other models including the Ric 12. I have always liked brighter sounding guitars so maybe it's just personal taste, it  sounds like a real guitar and plays like one too. I'm happy.

Hi offashead,

no need to change anything as long as you are fine with the sound on FW 2.0 ;)

yesterday was my second gig as the new models, and my perceptions were:
Strings And B in the strat really have much lower volume, the tele with humbucking, 2 and 4 are very good, the models generally became more treble, the P90 much improved

I tried for the last hour to connect to Monkey and it wont go through/connect.  I connected my guitar via the cables it came with and the USB box was not recognized.  This process is not intuitive.  Very frustrated.  Maybe I will just live with the models it came with.  Sad that I do not have the option to even try.  Im not an idiot, and my internet is fine, so something is wrong with Line 6, my guitar, or something on your end.  I updated when I 1st got the guitar and it all went well after the complicated figuring out learning curve happened (like not being explicit about having the guitar connected AND the amp jack plugged in at the same time.

I tried for the last hour to connect to Monkey and it wont go through/connect.  I connected my guitar via the cables it came with and the USB box was not recognized.  This process is not intuitive.  Very frustrated.  Maybe I will just live with the models it came with.  Sad that I do not have the option to even try.  Im not an idiot, and my internet is fine, so something is wrong with Line 6, my guitar, or something on your end.  I updated when I 1st got the guitar and it all went well after the complicated figuring out learning curve happened (like not being explicit about having the guitar connected AND the amp jack plugged in at the same time.

If you let us know the exact steps you took, we can help you better.

I am sorry I did not post this sooner but in the past when I have had issues updating FW with Monkey, I DL the FW and then do an update from file rather than monkey DLing and burning new FW at the same time. It usually helps a bit.

1/4" plug is in, okay.

The Battery is in too?

Green LED's on both ends of the JTV interface box?

Having the 1/4" plug into the jack engages the battery. If the volt should sag or the data gets interrupted,

then the update won't complete. Engaging the battery helps keep the line up as added insurance.

And registering the serial number is a good start,... easy thing to overlook.

-P.B. Sarkissian

Not a fan of Spank 2 and 4 either, not enough "Knopfler like" to my taste

I kept the pickups and changed the body. Not an authentic Strat anymore, but I prefer that sound.

I uploaded a quick demo here, with stock and custom models, and custom tunings :

I really like your "Strat" Sounds. Care to post those models?

• Upvote 1

What are you playin' thru? While I get some nice tones, they don't seem that nice. On the acoustic patches I go thru my little behringer amp Great 6 string tones but I can't get that horrible pitch shifting warble sound out!!!! I have the JTV59, Pod HD500 and the DT25... Thanks

yes , it can be, i just woul like to see the frequencies that you cut or boost , did you already try these patchs acustics in any PA?

Axe is packed up for a rehearsal, but I will. Except that for the tonematch block, it won't be possible ;) maybe a screenshot ?

jefflynyrd,

"Warble" is usually a sign that the pick-up height needs adjusting, the magnetic field is pulling on the string and affecting the signal.

-psarkissian

An interesting idea. That could explain why some of us are not hearing the warble and some of us are. Or at least, it's worse for some of us than others.