Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Effect Order (HD500)

wambathefool

After viewing how others did this, I now use this order:

NoiseGate>Compressor>Overdrive or Distortion>Parametric EQ>Amp>Mixer>Delay>Reverb>Volume Pedal

The overdrive and parametric EQ are usually assigned to a footswitch so they both come on together.  See Peter Hanmer's videos 2 and 3 on the 500x on how to use parametric EQ to tame ugly overdrive frequencies    http://www.peterhanmer.co.za/line6.htm

The volume pedal effect is assigned to Expression 1 and set to control volume -- usually going from 70% to 100%

• Upvote 1

But these 'modeled' effects are based on real effects, so the rules still apply. It doesn't matter if it is physical or virtual, the end result is the same. 

The only problem is, there are no rules. There are only starting points. The end result is up to you. 

In the 'old' days, I had multiple of the same pedal so that I could put it at various places in the chain. Screw the rules. Just make it sound good - which is sometimes the exact opposite of what the rules say. 

• Upvote 1

NoiseGate>Compressor>Overdrive or Distortion>Parametric EQ>Amp>Mixer>Delay>Reverb>Volume Pedal

The overdrive and parametric EQ are usually assigned to a footswitch so they both come on together.  See Peter Hanmer's videos 2 and 3 on the 500x on how to use parametric EQ to tame ugly overdrive frequencies    http://www.peterhanmer.co.za/line6.htm

The volume pedal effect is assigned to Expression 1 and set to control volume -- usually going from 70% to 100%

Thank you, this was very helpful.

For high gain rhythm I use the hard gate after whatever boosts. The digital delays I use after the amp, the tape echoes I use before the amp but after any overdrive stomps.

Chorus, phaser, tremolos, I place either pre or post depending on how I want to use the effects.

Pitch effects I place as close to first as possible, or in path b and blend with the mixer for mock 12 string sounds.

Compressors I find more effective after the amps, but before of I'm using as a gain stage (which I don't really do anymore).

For synth sounds I use something like the synth o matic and place it near the start of the chain like pitch effects for better note tracking

One of the particulars of the HD is the EQs. If you're going to use them, they tend to clip internally very easily, especially after the mixer block. So it might be better to cut frequencies rather than add them if you can. It's probably good to pay real close attention to the level you're getting after each block in the chain by using a DAW meter or something like that.

• Upvote 1

Hey! Where's the chorus-flanger-phaser-univibe-wah your supposed to always have? ;)

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, kerrywood said:

what if iam not using distortion or over drive just the amp in the chain

The same applies. 

1. Treat virtual like you would physical. 

2. There are things that sound better before, and things that sound better after. 

3. Ignore 1 and 2, and do what needs done to make it sound the way you need it. 

• Like 1