Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Version 2.0 Hd Update

So I just got the email about the update and IMMEDIATELY ran it - throwing caution to the wind.

The update itself was totally uneventful. I used the workbench interface that came with my 59 and did also have it plugged into an old XPS box (from a Vax 500) and I had no issues at all. Loaded up the new monkey and it installed both the new version of Workbench and the firmware within about 5 minues. No hiccupps at all.

Workbench - the new workbench is purdy! I like the layout. I don't see that it adds much functionality, but I've only briefly played with it. Someone mentioned that the 'Magnetic Blend' slider is new. Could be. I just don't recall. There is also a model for 'Natural Body' which appears to eliminate any body modeling - just my theory. 12 String settings are now controlled by the 'Parallel Pitch' thingy. Don't see any other differences. Oh one more thing. When launching and connecting to my 59, the software seems to take my longer to initially synch with the guitar. I assume this is due to the HD models having more data. Again just my theory.

Firmware - Probably not as dramatic an update as some may expect - at least to my ears. Models appear to be the same as they had been with the exception of the Tele models. In the second and fourth positions, we now have a Tele with wide range humbuckers. No more ultra bassy circuit in the fourth position and I don't miss it. I see no other differences, but haven't tried everything yet.

So how does it sound? Pretty damned good to my ears. This will take time to digest, but I do think every model I've tried sounds better. Perhaps not dramatically better, but definitely better. I always felt there was a tiny bit of piezzo sound coming through and to my ears, this is significally diminished. I almost hate to say this, but the best way I can describe what I'm hearing is --- HD. They just sound like more detailed models.

Perhaps the biggest improvement is the 12 string models. Much less pitch chasing. It is still somewhat evident on very low notes, but from about the lowest D in standard tuning and up, it seems to be much more stable. I'm very pleaed with this. The Ricks sound way better!

I don't sense any change in the acoustics. I suspect that the previous update was sufficient there. Again, just my theory.

So I'm pretty damned happy. Though, I've only played the update for about a half hour, it genuinely sounds better to me and I thought it was pretty damned good already.

Kudos L6! About damned time!

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Greg

2 quick edtitions.

The PC I'm using is a custom built Windows 8 machine. i7(3770K) with 16 gb of ram and a couple of SSDs. Again ZERO install issues.

I mentioned that Workbench takes longer to load. However - during the load, it doesn't stop the modelling so you can play away while it's synching :)

Workbench HD, now has capabilities that are specific to the JTV's...  i'm sure you'll find lots more...

you also have access to the high gain pickup models from the 89.

i find the update to be a very dramatic difference.. the difference between the models sounds more pronounced...

anyway... good initial review! but there's more to find :)

So I just got the email about the update and IMMEDIATELY ran it - throwing caution to the wind.

The update itself was totally uneventful. I used the workbench interface that came with my 59 and did also have it plugged into an old XPS box (from a Vax 500) and I had no issues at all. Loaded up the new monkey and it installed both the new version of Workbench and the firmware within about 5 minues. No hiccupps at all.

Workbench - the new workbench is purdy! I like the layout. I don't see that it adds much functionality, but I've only briefly played with it. Someone mentioned that the 'Magnetic Blend' slider is new. Could be. I just don't recall. There is also a model for 'Natural Body' which appears to eliminate any body modeling - just my theory. 12 String settings are now controlled by the 'Parallel Pitch' thingy. Don't see any other differences. Oh one more thing. When launching and connecting to my 59, the software seems to take my longer to initially synch with the guitar. I assume this is due to the HD models having more data. Again just my theory.

Firmware - Probably not as dramatic an update as some may expect - at least to my ears. Models appear to be the same as they had been with the exception of the Tele models. In the second and fourth positions, we now have a Tele with wide range humbuckers. No more ultra bassy circuit in the fourth position and I don't miss it. I see no other differences, but haven't tried everything yet.

So how does it sound? Pretty damned good to my ears. This will take time to digest, but I do think every model I've tried sounds better. Perhaps not dramatically better, but definitely better. I always felt there was a tiny bit of piezzo sound coming through and to my ears, this is significally diminished. I almost hate to say this, but the best way I can describe what I'm hearing is --- HD. They just sound like more detailed models.

Perhaps the biggest improvement is the 12 string models. Much less pitch chasing. It is still somewhat evident on very low notes, but from about the lowest D in standard tuning and up, it seems to be much more stable. I'm very pleaed with this. The Ricks sound way better!

I don't sense any change in the acoustics. I suspect that the previous update was sufficient there. Again, just my theory.

So I'm pretty damned happy. Though, I've only played the update for about a half hour, it genuinely sounds better to me and I thought it was pretty damned good already.

Greg

Well, I was involved in the beta on this one, and to me the changes in the models seemed pretty dramatic. I've been using the updated models live for the last few months, and I can tell a big difference in the way things react to overdrive and distortion. I just think everything is much more lively for lack of a better word.

Ooo!  From the help manual: 

Option 2: Use one of your favorite 6 string models and enable 12 string Parallel Pitch for that model. 

So, that means we can take ANY model and make it a 12 string.  

Please remember, NO STAIRWAY.

• Upvote 2

From a quick run thru the HD update does seem better on all models.  The chime 12 string is quite a bit better with a lot less warble and pitch artifacts, the low E & A string still seem a bit dead compared a to real 12 string but overall the 12 string is much more usable.  The rest of the models do seem livelier.  To me the attack seems better, before the models always seemed a bit mushy for lack of a better word.

Workbench is a lot nicer and easier to get around in, and less confusing.  Haven't spent a lot of time with it but definitely as big improvement.

Dan  

I could be off my rocker, however, I do feel a better sense of accuracy with regard to palm muting.

I presume others will chime in on this subject.

EDIT:  Yeah...I seem to have a better PM sense with this, however, I'm really uncertain about my decisions, 'cause the only thing I've done is update via L6 Monkey with my POD HD500 connected and JTV connected to it.  I have not accessed the WBHD software, yet, 'cause my battery has no charge - I'm always plugged into the HD500 with it.  Am I losing my mind...anyone...???   OK...with regard to the PM question only.  I already know about my mind with regard to other subjects.  :-)

Will the HD WB only with the JTV USB interface be the only way with this going forward? I've always used my XTL, X3L, then my HD500 with the Work Bench software.

I have 2 JTV's and so 2 JTV USB interfaces, but have never used 'em. Seems like a major step backwards -- hopefully they're just working the kinks out of the JTV/VDI/HD500/Work Bench method.... I hope, anyway. Any word on this?

I have a couple of weeks of weekend shows coming up, so am going to get past those before diving in on this anyway. I never mess with my setup until I have some free time to deal with issues that may come up. I use both of my JTV's for gigs -- a 59 and a 69S. I had a bit of a trouble when updating the 69S (my newest late 2012) to firmware 1.9. Had to do it a couple times before it took. Thought I'd bricked it, but didn't panic and it finally worked. The 59 went through without a hitch in all updates since I've had it ( mid 2011)... At least I'll be able to do the firmware update via my HD500/VDI -- that's a relief. The updating is when I feel the guitar is at its most vulnerable...

In the meantime, I've built a new pc with Win8 and it has USB 3, so that will be an adventure. Good thing I have my Win7 PC as a server now, that I know works with the L6 software -- been using that one up until the new machine. I find if I have too many changes at once, it's harder to figure the situation out if something screws up...

Just wondering -- thanks for any ideas on this subject...

Dave

They do plan to make the pods work... they just didn't want to hold up release.

Will the HD WB only with the JTV USB interface be the only way with this going forward? I've always used my XTL, X3L, then my HD500 with the Work Bench software.

I have 2 JTV's and so 2 JTV USB interfaces, but have never used 'em. Seems like a major step backwards -- hopefully they're just working the kinks out of the JTV/VDI/HD500/Work Bench method.... I hope, anyway. Any word on this?

I have a couple of weeks of weekend shows coming up, so am going to get past those before diving in on this anyway. I never mess with my setup until I have some free time to deal with issues that may come up. I use both of my JTV's for gigs -- a 59 and a 69S. I had a bit of a trouble when updating the 69S (my newest late 2012) to firmware 1.9. Had to do it a couple times before it took. Thought I'd bricked it, but didn't panic and it finally worked. The 59 went through without a hitch in all updates since I've had it ( mid 2011)... At least I'll be able to do the firmware update via my HD500/VDI -- that's a relief. The updating is when I feel the guitar is at its most vulnerable...

In the meantime, I've built a new pc with Win8 and it has USB 3, so that will be an adventure. Good thing I have my Win7 PC as a server now, that I know works with the L6 software -- been using that one up until the new machine. I find if I have too many changes at once, it's harder to figure the situation out if something screws up...

Dave

and miss out on those juicy 89 mag models! haha :D

Ok -- thanks, Zap!

Guess I'll do the FW update with the HD500 in a couple of weeks (if I can wait that long) and mess with the new models for a while before wanting to change them or mess with them in WBHD...

Dave

Greg

2 quick edtitions.

The PC I'm using is a custom built Windows 8 machine. i7(3770K) with 16 gb of ram and a couple of SSDs. Again ZERO install issues.

I mentioned that Workbench takes longer to load. However - during the load, it doesn't stop the modelling so you can play away while it's synching :)

Did everyone get notice?  I didn't receive a notice of it's release and I a registered user.  Was there any release notes?

Don't like how you can't edit guitar models through the POD HD anymore though.

Yes I agree this is a pain. Can we please have connecting/editing the guitar to the computer via the POD back ASAP .....

I don't want to have to connect the guitar separtately, it was so much more convenient to just have the one connection from the POD to the computer and then just plug the Variax into the POD...

Well, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I'm not too happy with the update. It seems some models just lost all brilliance and just became flooded with mid frequencies. The Spank model, for intence, has lost pretty much all its quacky, sparly high end :(

I'm posting some audio samples of before and after the update. Each audio clip start with a sound pre-update, and the after

Is anyone else noticing something similar? :(

strat neck.mp3

strat neck+mid.mp3

strat bridge+mid.mp3

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm not sure if it is just me, but I'm not too happy with the update. It seems some models just lost all brilliance and just became flooded with mid frequencies. The Spank model, for intence, has lost pretty much all its quacky, sparly high end :(

I'm posting some audio samples of before and after the update. Each audio clip start with a sound pre-update, and the after

It seems to me my experience was opposite. The updated models seem to have much more brilliance and sparkle to me.

In your samples, the ones that are supposedly of the new almost sound like there's a cocked wah applied to them.

• Upvote 1

It seems to me my experience was opposite. The updated models seem to have much more brilliance and sparkle to me.

In your samples, the ones that are supposedly of the new almost sound like there's a cocked wah applied to them.

Exactly, the new sounds are much worse, especially on position 2 and 4.

Another problem I've encountered is the volume across models. some are really loud, but the Chime, Semi and Jazz models are so quiet it's hard to hear anything at all. The jazz models also seem much brighter, which is not really appreciated for a, well, jazzy sound

Can anyone @Line6 please inform me if these are known issues and how to resolve them?

Thanks

Installed it two times, still the same result :(

I'm sure it's nothing related to the piezos, they've been working perfectly up till now.

Will try to fully charge the battery (it was only with two LEDs before) and try to update again. If that doesn't do it, maybe revert back to 1.8 and back to 2.0..... If not, I'm staying with 1.9  :,(

Dave

Wise.  It took three attempts to get the firmware update to take on my 59.  No idea why - first couple of times it just gave a "failed, reason unknown, try again" message.  Third time, worked fine.  Good luck to anyone else going through the process - even if it seems it's turning your guitar into a brick, you will get there in the end!

I had three failed attempts at updating too, my battery was almost discharged so that's probably the reason. Will try again after work. Can someone tell me if the update wipe out the stored custom tunings too, not only the custom guitars ?

I would try re-installing the firmware. That doesn't sound right at all. The levels between models should pretty equal now.

+1

I had several incomplete updates that didn't fully install the firmware using the WB interface.  I achieved successful updates using the POD HD Pro.  Although you can't use the POD with Workbench HD you can use it to install the update.  I'd give that a go.

Cheers,

Crusty

unfortunately you are quite right and their samples show this very clearly, positions 2 and 4 deteriorated much lost all quack. is a pity, that I was the most used,

sounds like you should just stay with 1.7, since you will also have the older acoustics that you seem to like.

I think 2.0 is GREAT myself... just my opinion of course.... but i'm loving it.

unfortunately you are quite right and their samples show this very clearly, positions 2 and 4 deteriorated much lost all quack. is a pity, that I was the most used,

Just did the update. I noticed global string levels in workbench HD are now in db (this used to be in %). In the past I had some clipping sounds, which I solved by lowering the overall string volume to 65%. I did not experiment with the update, but a first listen tells me that overall volume of the guitar is lower than it used to be (at 65%) and there's still a clipping sound but only when plucking the strings very hard. 

So here's my question: I will have to lower string volume a little bit, any recommendations for the amount of db to reduce?

Also, I noticed that some strings are already lowered by a few db, while other strings aren't (0 db). Is this part of the update? In the past all strings had the same volume (100%).

sounds like you should just stay with 1.7, since you will also have the older acoustics that you seem to like.

hi zap, my guess is that the les paul, tele and jets were actually better, but 5 semi, jazz 4 and strat 2 and4 get worse, how to my old reviews up the acoustic, I had said it had enjoyed its acoustic Variax 300, but even if I did the rollback, I would not have the sounds of it, was another body, another piezzo and etc.. but I'm not complaining, it's just a comment, I love my jtv and not live longer without it, lol.

• Downvote 1

The comments on the Strat genuinely puzzle me, to be honest. When I did the update (several weeks ago) that was what I went to first. Like I've mentioned, that's probably the model I use most. I use it quite frequently at shows. I've gigged my Variax with the new models for the last 6 weeks or so, and it seems fine to me. Perhaps people have different ideas of what a Strat should sound like?

The judgements of 'better' or 'worse' are very personal opinions, and everyone will have their own. Personally, I think all models are much improved and more realistic. Let's remember to qualify our statements when we say 'this is better' or 'that is worse'.

So far, I'm disappointed with V2.0.  There were only 5 models/modes of the older firmware that I liked enough to use:  Spank positions 2 & 4, Lester position 1, Jangle 2 (12 String electric) and the Coral Sitar.  With V2, the Spanks have changed radically, I absolutely do not like new sounds and the Lester seems to have lost some of its "bite".  I cannot hear a difference with Jangle 2 or the Sitar.  The Tele sounds are an improvement over what was there before, but still not a contemporary Telecaster sound. The RBilly models still do not sound anything like a Gretsch (I own 4 Gretsches, I know what they are supposed to sound like).  I already assumed that the acoustic models would be the same crappy models already released, and I was right.  I can't use them for anything, anyway.

The WB is a big improvement, and the output level issue is at last controllable (one of my big beefs with the JTV removed).  The WB UI is great, however their are bugs - for instance, have any of you tried to open the Preset Folder (in the "File" menu)?  I get an error message on my MacBook (OSX Mountain Lion).  Maybe the Windows version works.

I'm going to keep exploring the new HD models tonight ... maybe I missed something.

Just being lazy really.... has anyone checked whether the new models work OK via the old XT Live. I still use mine occasionally and I've never been sure if the sounds, when using the VDI cable, are generated by the Variax or the XT Live. If the former then presumably it will be fine. If the latter- and the XT is not HD compatible - then I guess it won't. Interested to know if anyone's tried it. Thanks

PS - loving the new sounds - many more are usable - though I share the view that the strat's not much improved if at all.... but the original was a hard act to follow anyway.

The new models should work with any device that has the VDI interface. The Variax is powered by the VDI connection and produces the guitar model sounds that it sends to the device via VDI. From there, the device (XT Live, X3 Live, Pod HDxxx) processes the incoming guitar signal as usual.

so, it seems the Strat issue is really commom to everybody... positions 2 and 4, which I've always loved, are not much usable to me now. Maybe it's closer to the original strat they've modeled, but that nice "sparkly out-of-phase quack" I loved (wich was pretty close to my aftermarket strat) is all but gone.
Oh well, if everybody is happy with it, it's fine, I'll just try to replicate the old sounds with Workbench (awesomely improved, btw! :) )