Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500 global eq setting

rmaginnis

Hey all. OK I'm sure someone can give me and answer to this one. Preferably a simple one :-).

I use my JTV 69 through my hd500 through a Vox ac15 and I wonder if someone can give me a good starting point as to where I should set my Global eq settings, There are a few variables with adjustments that I dont know anything about.

OK that's all thanks,

Rob

In the HD forum section, there are a lot of suggestions. 

Me, personally, I do not use it. So, OFF, is my setting. My tone is in my patches. 

I go direct. But as far as you using an amp, I would suggest not using the GEQ. Use the EQ knobs on your amp. That is what they are there for. 

Hi Rob,

How would you describe your current tone (to shrill, to muddy, too much highs, too much lows?).

A lot depends on which guitar and which output method you use (do you use single coils or humbucers, combo/stack output, normal amp input or the amp effects return, patches with or without the cabinet enabled ....). 

I use the global EQ all the time (to avoid having to adapt my patches for different "output" methods). Since a VOX often has a lot of "lower mid-range", I think your sound could benifit by making a small cut somewhere in the 400hz to 1.2 kHz range.

So you could try enabling the global eq with all settings neutral except for the "mid" band. Set the mid band to a Q-factor of 2.5 (a low Q factor cuts a wide frequency range, a high Q-factor cuts just a small range), and a gain of -3dB, and then test with different frequency settings between 400hZ and 1.2 kHZ. That could help to get a "less muddy" sound on your VOX, and enables you to make just the right cuts on your amp (which often isn't possible with the normal EQ-controls on your amp). 

I often also use the "high" band to get me more "presence", with a Q-factor of around 2, and a small 1dB gain at a frequence somewhere between 2.2 and 2.5 kHz. You could give that a try as well (works best with humbuckers)