Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First Helix crash

zooey

Had my first real crash in Helix yesterday. It still processed sound normally, but the whole UI was completely unresponsive, footswitches and other controls. Rebooted and it was fine, though it didn't remember the patch I was on like it usually does. I was in the models list, choosing a different effect for an existing block, like I've done a million times before and since without problems.

Is this a thing?

Since I wouldn't expect to be editing much live, it's not a huge concern, but it's a tad worrisome. And just to be clear, outside of that one time, Helix has been completely stable for me.

I'll chime in with a "me too".  It has only happened once since I got it and I use it a lot, so it's not common and not reproducible so probably hard to debug.  It did happen with the latest firmware - 1.10.

The UI locked up, but the Helix kept processing the currently selected patch without any problem.  But unresponsive to UI controls otherwise, until rebooted.

Had my first real crash in Helix yesterday. It still processed sound normally, but the whole UI was completely unresponsive, footswitches and other controls. Rebooted and it was fine, though it didn't remember the patch I was on like it usually does. I was in the models list, choosing a different effect for an existing block, like I've done a million times before and since without problems.

Is this a thing?

Since I wouldn't expect to be editing much live, it's not a huge concern, but it's a tad worrisome. And just to be clear, outside of that one time, Helix has been completely stable for me.

I am on 1.10.0 and have had exactly the same crash a couple of times with exactly the same symptoms, the Helix becomes completely unresponsive, no footswitches or buttons work but the sound for that preset continues to function. A power cycle is required to restore normal operation. I am almost certain this is a bug in the current firmware.

I'll chime in with a "me too".  It has only happened once since I got it and I use it a lot, so it's not common and not reproducible so probably hard to debug.  It did happen with the latest firmware - 1.10.

The UI locked up, but the Helix kept processing the currently selected patch without any problem.  But unresponsive to UI controls otherwise, until rebooted.

I have a little more information on this that may help debug.  It happened again to me just moments ago this evening.

I had the Helix Editor up, but hadn't really been using it - I was editing and switching patches on the Helix itself.  I noticed that the screen on the Helix itself showed the patch had been edited, but the Helix Editor showed it up to date.  Upon closer inspection, the Editor was frozen and I had to force-quit it from the Mac force-quit window showing the "helix editor not responding" message.

Immediately after I force-quit the Editor, the UI controls on the Helix itself locked up and it became unresponsive, as described by myself and others in this thread.  The result sent a crash report to Apple - not sure if Line 6 gets these reports or not, or they just go into some Apple black hole.  But if Line 6 gets them, maybe the crash dump will shed a clue as to what is going on.

Does Helix freeze if it is not connected to a computer?

If it is connected - does the prob occur with Macs in the first place?

I guess that most of those 'crashes' or 'frozen moments' happen when helix is connected via USB.

And then this list could be quite long, actually, and many 'unpredictable phenomenons' may happen :P

- Helix can work as an audio interface / soundcard - I realized that many users don't consider this, for example.

Many of them configure the I/O connections sloppy and thus some 'crashes' may have to do with that (routing)...

- There are (still) many Mac users, that have probs with drivers;

- Firewalls, security software etc. may have stuttering (or freezing) effects

- A faulty USB cable...

- The editor is still in BETA

- [...]

So, maybe the best thing is to report those 'crashes' (centrally with a detailed description) here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/16083-helix-bug-reports/

I have also had it freeze up a couple times. The last time was when I copied a block from one setlist and pasted it into a preset in a different setlist. I was not hooked up to a computer at the time, as I often forget that I can do that in the first place (it's so easy to edit on the device I just don't bother most of the time). In this particular instance, it seemed to lock up the instant I pasted the block. Power cycle fixed it, as usual.

I guess that most of those 'crashes' or 'frozen moments' happen when helix is connected via USB.

And then this list could be quite long, actually, and many 'unpredictable phenomenons' may happen :P

Mine has crashed a couple of times, and both times I was editing a lot of things with the computer editor :-) 

So, maybe the best thing is to report those 'crashes' (centrally with a detailed description) here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/16083-helix-bug-reports/

Hi klangmaler,

I understand what you are telling people who have certain issues, that they should report the faults through that bug-report channel, although sadly and from my personal experience, that doesn't always work - no matter how detailed the description.

I have been kicking up a fuss all over this forum for the past 6 weeks, complaining and starting threads about various issues with Mac USB and MIDI faults. I have tried every "fix it" trick that I know (quite a few). I even took out a support ticket. Result? Not that much - but, eventually Digital_Igloo (a Line6 product manger) did reply to a comment, when he advised me to install the Beta version of the OS X USB Driver. Sadly this made no difference to my problem. Since then "DI" has further informed me that the next Firmware update should fix my ongoing MIDI problems. Let us hope that is correct, but since having a Helix working perfectly from November until early March, no one on this forum, or from Line 6,  has been able to offer any, or even vaguely, convincing explanation as to why it no longer functions as it should. Which is surprising, because it did straight out of the box. Let's face it nobody on here has even the slightest clue! If, and when, I install this predicted firmware fix, and if it doesn't work - that's it - the box is being returned as not fit for purpose!

Flame off!

Now I'm really depressed!

My unit has frozen on me twice in the past week or so. While editing, disconnected from the computer, the controls become unresponsive. A reboot fixed it both times. While it was frozen, it still passed the audio through the unit unaffected.

Mine Froze several times today as i was creating a patch. i would try to add an fx block and when id select the effect the unit would freeze . 
very frustrating as I'm gonna be gigging it for the first time this weekend so need to get it set up and ready. 
i did notice it seemed to happen when the Helix control was connected, if i disconnected the Controller then i was able to add and edit the patch without it freezing. 
I have 2 expression pedals connected to the Helix control . 

Mine crashes quite a bit but usually only when editing (from the helix itself), probably more than 10 times so far.

Only crashed once while not editing.

yeah its always happened when trying to add a block. and only when the controller and expression pedals are connected. if i leave the control off then i can build and edit a patch, save it then turn on the control and assign the switches and expressions etc

Happened to me as well, twice I think. Not connected to computer, editing directly on floorboard Helix.

I'd say both of the times I was going through my patches adjusting them all in the same way (all my patches use the same amp and similar distortion settings). So basically it was about editing a lot of patches in a sequence. The only possible clue I remember was using the "Amp" button (to get to the amp block in the patch) right before it stopped responding. That may just be a coincidence but I wouldn't ignore it if I was a Line6 developer ;)

Is this a thing?

This was my experience today, almost; started the machine, it acted like it was going through it's startup machinations but then it simply froze at the startup screen, wouldn't budge beyond it.

I restarted the HELIX and watched as it  visibly rebuilt the patches, then opened up as per normal with an exception- it remembered the last patch I was on but the patch was completely altered, nothing at all like the patch I created, an alien patch! Fortunately I saved all of my patches both individually and as a setlist/ bundle, I re-loaded the screwy alien patch and am [ so far] back in business.

Very disconcerting, hope this is the first and last such crash.

This has happened to me too.

I've got the rack unit with up to date firmware.

It will freeze while I'm trying to scroll through models with the joystick.

I've also had a "must update Helix Control" message and then the update fails several times.

Had my first crash last night, wasn't even aware that could happen. Latest Firmware (1.12)  and I did have Mac connected with editor running at time. I was also cycling pretty fast through presets via footswitch\banking as I was just trying each one out I hadn't played with before. Exactly as other people have stated, unit seemed to freeze and unresponsive to any controls, editor displayed a message about my device no longer connected, but audio still processed through the thing with the preset that was loaded when crash happened.

I am hoping this was just a combo of Mac\USB in use and me cycling too fast on presets. No other crashes or issues when not doing that. I have a gig with the Helix on Saturday so now 95% confident where I was 100% up to about 9:00pm last night :)

Had my first crash last night, wasn't even aware that could happen. Latest Firmware (1.12)  and I did have Mac connected with editor running at time. I was also cycling pretty fast through presets via footswitch\banking as I was just trying each one out I hadn't played with before. Exactly as other people have stated, unit seemed to freeze and unresponsive to any controls, editor displayed a message about my device no longer connected, but audio still processed through the thing with the preset that was loaded when crash happened.

I am hoping this was just a combo of Mac\USB in use and me cycling too fast on presets. No other crashes or issues when not doing that. I have a gig with the Helix on Saturday so now 95% confident where I was 100% up to about 9:00pm last night :)

This exact crash happened to me last night, exactly as you explained it although I didn't think 

I was cycling too fast between presets, it just.. froze.

And as an added bonus, when I re-started it came back with one of my other presets completely blank! The preset was titled in the scribble strip but the patch itself was gone, nothing there but one empty block. Fortunately I back up like demon, anytime I change a preset or setting or whatever, boom, backup straight away.

More than additional cabs, more than additonal effects, more than more reverbs I want the HELIX platform to be more stable. No more crashing!

• 2 weeks later...

Has this crash only happened when editing?  Has anyone had it crash during a performance?  I can deal with crashes if it occurs during editing but I'm really concerned if this thing crashes during a performance.  You're talking a couple of minutes of downtime for it to reboot.

Had my first crash as well. Recording a tune and it just froze while activating a foot switch, and the Editor quit at the same time. Tried relaunching the Editor but quit right away. Had to restart Helix.

Running 1.12 on a Mac 10.11.5.

Had my first crash as well. Recording a tune and it just froze while activating a foot switch, and the Editor quit at the same time. Tried relaunching the Editor but quit right away. Had to restart Helix.

Running 1.12 on a Mac 10.11.5.

It may be this bug. There is a workaround at the bottom of this post.

Firmware 1.12.0

Editor 1.12.0

Bug: Presets that have been saved to prevent the "rebuilding preset #" message when you boot the Helix can not only crash the editor when selected, they can also actually prevent the editor from starting up if the affected preset is already selected on the Helix when you try to start the Editor.

Test Procedure:

• Save one of the presets causing the "rebuild preset" message upon boot such that it no longer appears on bootup.
  • Restart the Helix.
  • Select the preset that you "fixed" with a save.
  • Now try to start the Helix Editor. The Helix Editor will not start at all if you have the "fixed" preset selected on the Helix when you try to start the Editor.
  • Select any of your unaffected presets and then try to star the Editor and it will start right up.
  • I also found that if you start the Helix editor successfully with any of your other presets, and then switch to one of the saved presets you were getting the "rebuild" message on, it will consistently crash the editor.
  • I can also replicate the crashing editor issue by simply copying the "fixed" preset to any other preset location. If I select the newly saved preset the Editor will not start. If I start the editor on a working preset and switch to the copy of the problem preset it will crash the editor.

UPDATE: I noticed that if you modify any parameter on the "fixed" preset no matter how minutely and save it a second time. The Editor crashing behavior both on editor startup and when you switch to the preset is fixed. Se here is my conclusion. There is a workaround for now but this is definitely a strange bug which I hope gets addressed.

Workaround: If you fix any of these presets affected by the "rebuilding..." message by saving them (which causes the rebuilding message to go away) make sure you edit at least one parameter on one of the blocks and save the preset again. It does not matter how small the change is. This will prevent the editor from either not starting or crashing when that preset is selected.

Here is the link for the Excel sheet that will help you find the setlist, bank, and footswitch that corresponds to the number you are seeing in the "rebuilding ..." message: http://line6.com/sup...e-1120/?hl=grid

• Upvote 1