Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX AND MISSION GEMINI ?

glenbury

I have the rack, controller, and Gemini 2 active. The gemini has a peak between 3-4 khz which is fairly pronounced. I have to use the global eq to sculpt out the frequencies which doesn't sound natural. Thankfully it's pretty easy with the way the global eq responds. I only apply it to the 1/4" outs that feeds the gemini because if i feed it to the xlr as well, the eq doesnt sound right coming out of my studio monitors. The gemini is also loud. Do get the one with Bluetooth, and don't worry about the fan of the live version. It's audible but not too bad. The reviews below paint a fairly accurate picture.

http://www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/5-the-lounge/7248-mission-gemini-2-frfr-cab-first-impressions

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep15/articles/mission-gemini-2.htm

Overall I'm really impressed with both the Helix and Gemini. I have mine directly hooked up to my audio interface for recording/reamping. If I want a live sound, I just turn on the Gemini.

I use the Helix with a Gemini 1 cab. There is literally no fan noise whatsoever that I've ever encountered.

Using the setup with a bass or a guitar sounds phenomenal in my book. It definitely gives you the meaty texture of the "real" equipment in either case.

Just for reference, I typically setup my patches using headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770). When I run the Helix through the Gemini cab it sounds pretty much exactly like what I hear through the headphones.

• 2 months later...

I'm really considering going with the Mission Gemini 2-P passive cab with my Line 6 Spider Valve MKII head.  I'm currently using the L6 SV with a pair of Crate PE-12H 2-way PA speakers and it sounds great.  I think the Mission G2P is a definite upgrade and good next step.

Unlike the Matrix FR212, it is stereo capable, coaxial, and could evolve with me whether I go clean / flat stereo tube amp or stereo SS power amp.  It's also about $300 cheaper than the Matrix FR212.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Just purchased a Gemini 1 for use with my Helix. I'm having a really hard time getting it to sound good. What do you guys set the Gemini to and on the Helix, do you use cabs, no cabs, IRs? I can't get a good sound out of this thing to save my life.

Gemini 1 arrived. Totally different than my studio monitors.. more midrangey...not pleasing at loud volumes..Rolled off the FRFR knob about 15 % seems to help..The more I tweak with it , the better it sounds for sure....I'm going to give it  a few days of readjusting and eq'ing for the Mission cab, it will probably sound great when I go back into my monitors...  I think I was expecting instant "Wow, this sounds just like a regular feeling guitar cab" right when I plugged in... BUT Like I said, will give it  a few days...  Oh.. weird..I had to use an XLR (mic cable) to hook up the Helix to the Mission.. 1/2 gutiar cable and trs cable did not work.  Is that normal?

Mission cab is awesome.  Keep in mind it’s still a 1 x 12, so expecting it to have the wall of sound like a recto 4 x 12 is unrealistic. That being said, it has a crap ton of balls, and with some adjustments, I am getting some pretty ripping tones.  2 of them would be epic...stereo spread..  They are pretty light.  I am actually super impressed. The more I play thru it, the more I like it.  

I have a Helix and Gemini 1. As another poster said, it has it's own EQ curve that you are forced to deal with. It's not truly FRFR. I was hoping to go from editing with headphones and then right to the Gemini 1 but was sadly mistaken. So now I have a bunch of separate patches for the Gemini 1 and that seems to work OK I guess. It's definitely loud and the build quality is fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Mission cab is awesome.  Keep in mind it’s still a 1 x 12, so expecting it to have the wall of sound like a recto 4 x 12 is unrealistic. That being said, it has a crap ton of balls, and with some adjustments, I am getting some pretty ripping tones.  2 of them would be epic...stereo spread..  They are pretty light.  I am actually super impressed. The more I play thru it, the more I like it.  

I totally changed 1 day after posting this.. I plufgeed back trhough my studio montors, and the Gem1 sounded midrangey, no bass, harsh, really hard to dial out the boxy sound...Took it back to GC... Plugged through an Alto210, and I'd hate to say it, crushed the Gemini (IMO) it was easier to dial in, has a good bounce and response... Honestly, the FriedmanAV12(model not exact) was KILLER...just too expensive, and for $170, I couldn't turn down the deal for the Alto...in fact, considering a 2nd one for stereo..Bass cut @ 71HZ, highend cut @9000HZ... The presence control on the amp block is a big deal as well.. a little either way goes a long way and I found to be the secret in getting rid of the harsh unatural higgs thru a fulll range cab. Just my experience and opinion, which may not mean much  : )