Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Avatar FRFR

roscoe5

Although, Avatar Speakers doesn't officially have an FRFR solution yet, they are willing to custom build one. It would be passive at this point. I think I have piqued their interest though and it sounds like they will likely develop FRFR cabs.

I haven't ordered mine yet as I am still researching compnents, but I think I am going to go with a pair of 10in cabs with 6in coax mids/tweets (separate sealed chamber) with adjustable tweeter level. Will probably do bottom slot porting so I can use them for bass and guitar. It's cool that they let you pick your tolex and grille cloth :)

Won't know the price until I get a quote back, but should be $400 ish each.

I think Avatar is a great company, somebody needs to crack the 2x12 or 2x10 cab with FRFR capabilities... is it a viable opportunity?

I don't know if scientifically this type of cab can produce the level of happiness we think we want/should get from a guitar cab/FRFR solution

I know Mission has done it but I have not seen great reviews

• Upvote 1

I did propose a wet-dry-wet triamp solution like the L6 Firehawk 1500 to Avatar. Basically the 12in and the horn would be mono with an attenuator on the horn, then the two 6" coax would be wet stereo and in sealed chambers. It should fit in their 2x12 enclosure.

Avatar basically said they could do just about anything as long as the speakers fit on their baffle board.

• Upvote 1

I think a 2 x 12 Flat Response or even full FRFR is going to be a thing soon.   

My setup is a 2x12 with EV12L which are essentially Flat Response guitar speakers.  It's a ported Genz Benz cabinet.  It doesn't matter much what I drive it with, it sounds awesome and very true to the "real" version of whatever amp I'm simulating.   As close as one can get really.  I mean if you take two amps that have been used for a few years, put'em side by side, they aren't going to be "exactly" the same anymore.  You'll likely be able to hear the difference and a simple adjustment of the tone knob corrects that.   That's how close I feel my 2 x 12 setup is.  Putting it side-by-side with the "real" amp, would just be a matter of touching up the tone or eq to match them.   I'm currently driving it with a QSC 50 watt per channel amp.   I have tried several amps both solid state and tube, and while the tube amps due sound a little warmer, they are coloring the signal.   I like the tube amp sound better, but it gets away from the "modeled" sound which is best with a solid state.  

But if someone would start making a 2 x 12, and 2 x 10 with a good amp... maybe a cab that could tilt....  really something along the lines of the Line6 PA options but specifically for the guitar range with 12" speakers...   I think it would be a hit.   Use it on the backline, monitor, tower, whatever.   Ability to go stereo or mono.  

the question for me is raw versus recorded, FRFR is traditionally giving you the recorded guitar sound

the raw guitar sound comes through guitar speakers, is it even possible to make these two different sounds mesh in a way that makes us happy

OR are they better separate than combined

the question for me is raw versus recorded, FRFR is traditionally giving you the recorded guitar sound

the raw guitar sound comes through guitar speakers, is it even possible to make these two different sounds mesh in a way that makes us happy

OR are they better separate than combined

I haven't heard of anyone attempting to mix FRFR with raw guitar other than the wet-dry-wet setup like Line 6 Firehawk 1500 offers.  I would think it would be similar to the sound guy giving you your mic'd physical amp behind you back to your monitor in front of you.  Could be cool but would likely take extra gear and Helix patchwork.

With the Helix, to me if I place any effects after the Cab block it becomes a recorded tone vs raw tone.  Like a studio effect.

Take reverb.  Between the amp and cab or even before the amp it's more like real amp reverb.  After the cab it's more recorded tone.

That was a little off topic.  Sorry.

Avatar has made some great cabs at great prices.  I'm really looking forward to this.