Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I run an out from the XLR on the pedal board, into a house PA so that I don't have to lug my amp around?

djoenorthern

This is how I do it....the downfall is that you can't tweak on stage whenever you want since the sound guy is controlling your volume.

I always use the XLR's to the sound guy....if you wanted an amp on stage just for stage volume you can also run a 1/4 line out to your amp...I've done this on occasion. 

In the past I've used 1 or 2 tech 21's with the flat response that I added the tweeters too for the higher tones. In my opinion with the Helix if your using flat response speakers, its sorta redundant to use a monitor UNLESS you need it for stage volume. 

I do this, but also use a JBL EON610 as a monitor in front of me. I have my monitor mix set to my vocal, my guitar and whatever else I need to hear, mostly a bit of keys, the other vocals, and our second guitar player. We're attempting to eliminate all stage amps to reduce our footprint, reduce the amount of equipment we have to carry, setup and tear down, and have better control of volume in small club situations. So far this is working very well. I wear ear plugs (-10dB) and find the monitor in front is different than the amp behind me, but you get use to it quickly enough.

For larger or outdoor gigs, I still use a FRFR behind me, and take my guitar out of the monitor mix. 

I switched to ampless as soon as I got the Helix. Didn't seem to make sense to spend a bunch of time dialling a sound, only to run it through an amp. Fooled two sound guys, to boot.

A big advantage is the versatility in tone choice. I'd typically run through a Mesa Lonestar mic'd with 57s. Even with the amp set clean with a neutral EQ, the sound getting to the board was always coloured by that combination of amp, speaker and mic. Not a bad combination, by any means, but inescapable.

With the Helix direct to board, I can get that sound if I want. Or pretty much anything else. And no amp to lug around.

• Upvote 1

For even more tonal versatility playing live, you can hook up a little MIDI controller (there are plenty of them on the market ... I use an Akai MIDIMix), you can assign controller knobs to the amp controls (and effects controls) in the Helix. You can use a little tray attached to a mic stand to hold the controller. That way, you can tweak your virtual Helix amp on-the-fly while you perform. This comes in handy if you play a lot of different rooms, as each will effect your overall sound.