Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hall of Fame effect

simbo

Hi Guy's,

Can anyone please tell me how I can achieve that Hall Of Fame effect that you hear on songs like Wicked Game. And how to get the effect that Lindsay Buckingham gets in his solo on Landslide. I am using a Pod HD500 through a Line6 Spider Jam.

I would be grateful for any input CHEERS.

Simbo. 

Here's as much as I know which isn't much. Lindsey mainly plays a guitar he helped design which is now available as a Rick Turner Model 1 guitar. See it here.

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/rickturner/model1.htm

However when he first joined Fleetwood Mac he says that he switched from a Strat to a Les Paul because they needed a fatter sound. So he probably played a Les Paul and probably used the neck pickup for the solo. He used a Martin Dreadnought acoustic guitar of some kind for the main parts. Maybe a D-18? I believe he used Hiwatts at the time as well. So Les Paul, neck pickup with a Hiwatt amp get's you started. I like the Cavern (Cave?) reverb but just try all the "large" ones like "Stadium" "Large Hall", etc.. You'll probably want the mix a little high. That'll get you started but you should still expect to put a bit of time into it.

Wicked Game sounds like a Strat with the pickup selector on the 4th position (this is the neck and middle pickup together out of phase). Then just go with one of the Fender Amps (Deluxe or Twin) and slap on that large reverb with the mix even higher than you did for Landslide.

Maybe even put a delay before the reverb for either of them although, my rusty memory tells me there is no delay on Landslide.

Keep in mind the reverbs in the HD500x aren't absolutely wonderful. They don't seem as full as I've heard and the reverbs in those two songs are very full to me. So don't get disappointed that you can't get the reverb perfectly. You probably won't. Hope this helped. Good Luck!!

Thank you so much for your help with this Brue58ski  it's good to know some people know what they are talking about. you've given me plenty of good info to follow up on. Can you recommend an effects board that you would rate above the Pod HD500. I ask because you obviously now your stuff and the PodHD has quite allot of stuff to contend with. 

Regards

Simbo.

If you're referring to Wicked Game by Chris Isaak, my chain is: Blue Comp Treb->Jazz Rivet Pre (based on Roland JC-120) w/212 silver bell cab, 409 dyn mic->Noise Gate->Analog Chorus->Dynamic Delay->Plate Reverb.  Play with the settings to match your guitar style. It has that soaring clean tone that is instantly recognizable when playing those first two notes.

Thank you so much for your help with this Brue58ski  it's good to know some people know what they are talking about. you've given me plenty of good info to follow up on. Can you recommend an effects board that you would rate above the Pod HD500. I ask because you obviously now your stuff and the PodHD has quite allot of stuff to contend with. 

Regards

Simbo.

Well God bless you for the compliments but I just happened to have read several Lindsey interviews fairly recently so it's not like I'm a Fleetwood Mac expert. There are multieffects units with better reverbs but for the price, I feel the HD500 gives you the most bang for the buck. You could get a unit at the same price with a better reverb but I'll bet the amp sims wouldn't be as good at all. The Digitech GSP 1101 could be one example of that. If the reverbs are as good as they had in their old GSP2101 then that would be great but their amp models aren't so good. IMHO of course.

One of my favorite reverbs was in the Alesis Quadraverb. Not even made anymore. (Sidenote: Line 6 was started by a bunch of people from Alesis). You could try getting a dedicated reverb pedal and put it in the effects loop. Digitech has somehing called a DigiTech Supernatural Ambient Stereo Reverb Pedal that has Lexicon reverbs in it. $130 but you'd probably have all the reverb you'd need.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me all this information brue58ski its's really appreciated and I will give your suggestions consideration. It has been sometime since I have used these forums and seems to have altered a little, how do I give you a rating? 

Kind Regards,

Simbo 

A lot of this depends on whether you're playing in a band or just at home for fun.  In a band, generally, reverbs and other "swirly" things like chorus can't be heard much and may help bury you in the mix.   I run into this with guitarists in my church who are so used to dialing in a sweet tone in the bedroom.  They want tons of bass and too much distortion, which doesn't work so well when competing with drums, keys, etc etc.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me all this information brue58ski its's really appreciated and I will give your suggestions consideration. It has been sometime since I have used these forums and seems to have altered a little, how do I give you a rating?

I don't even know if you can do ratings anymore. I've been on these forums a long time and if you were back when I started, I'm sure you remember how all it took was one pissy person and they could ruin your rating for awhile. Didn't happen to me but I saw it happen alot. So I decided not to care about ratings. But I definitely appreciate the thought. Glad to help out.

Hey Brue58ski - those verbs in the old 2101s were awesome. IIRC D-Tech uses the Lexicon algos. The RP1000/500 verbs are pretty much the same (to me) but the last time I used the 2101 was a few years back - man that thing needed a PC interface. :)

Hey Brue58ski - those verbs in the old 2101s were awesome. IIRC D-Tech uses the Lexicon algos. The RP1000/500 verbs are pretty much the same (to me) but the last time I used the 2101 was a few years back - man that thing needed a PC interface. :)

I still have mine!!! Haven't touched it in awhile. I did all of Dieter's upgrades to 3.00.00a so I got it to go as fast as it will go. I've had to replace a voltage regulator and the knobs are showing some wear, but it still works. Such a bi*** to program though. If you look on Dieter's website

http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/gsp2101/sites/gsp2101main.htm

there is a rudimentary PC editor on there but, as I recall, I found it was easier to do it from the machine.

Dieter is the man for those, I really have to just order the parts and do it. I don't like the word lazy I prefer conservative. :)

Ya just gotta hold your breath and do it. I do recomend that you have some electronics experience. You have to essentially take the whole thing apart, carefully disconnecting boards from each other (keep track of what connects where!!!!), unsolder and unsolder clean, then resolder and put it all back together. Not for the faint of heart but I figure if I can do it, anyone can.