Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can you pan the looper?

PDKTDK

I've created a preset with an electric and acoustic guitar utilizing the aux in for the acoustic..

I set up two paths left for electric and right for acoustic running both XLR's to FOH... and it works fantastic!  

That is, until I run the looper.  It comes out both channels and no apparent options to pan it.  Any hope here?

Thanks!

Edit/Update:  No.  Not at all. Never.

Hey Phil,

I can't comprehend how this could possibly work.  The loop block will only work before or after the signal chains and not within either.  Putting a pan block before (when it is on the end) or after (when it is at the beginning) does the obvious which is kills one side of input.

The looper block whether on the front or the back is getting proper stereo as proven by my output.  I don't think the looper is stereo... and apparently you deleted your comment so...  

I do appreciate your effort.

Sorry, I deleted my comment from before because I missed that this was the HD forum. I assumed this was talking about the Helix. On the HD, the looper block is mono, so everything coming out is summed. There's no way to maintain stereo separation through the looper.

Well you can, but how useful it would be I don't know.

The looper can be Pre chain or Post chain.  It always sums the inputs to mono and plays that back as mono.

So in the Post position (where it records the effected sounds) it outputs on both Left and Right exactly the same.

In Pre position it sends the output down the A and B paths exactly the same - so strictly speaking if it is in the Pre position, and you have a patch that pans both A and B paths in some way then the Looper output will be panned - along with all inputs.

So if you want Acoustic to be looped while you play more acoustic then this can be achieved with it in the Pre position (electric path muted), or if you loop electric while playing more electric this is also possible (acoustic path muted), but the effects path applies both to the looped content and new playing.

If the looper were in fact stereo it would be a non-issue as to how/what I'm inputting is panned, but being stereo would obviously require more dsp and memory/storage.

If the looper block were movable within chains versus pre and post there would be options with the mixer or inserting pan blocks...

If there simply existed a pan option (which is feasible with little to no overhead) that would've been great...

So, I get it and thank you.

Sadly, the HD500 is beyond future development I fear along with my two (frequently in repair) DT50's... 

The Helix has certainly shown us that the Dream Rig and L6 Link tech are pretty much abandoned.

The answer to the question in any perceived configuration with the HD500 is a resounding:

No.

• 3 years later...