Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The New Variax Upgrades Are Great!

Well, the acoustics have changed over time. Perhaps swing-girl was updating from an earlier firmware version. But even so, you're right. Different people hear different things, some of which may be related to other equipment or venue changes - and some of which may just be changes in perception. (What IS reality?? :P )

Oh I thought the acoustics got the HD upgrade. Silly me :-)

I upgraded from firmware 1.7. I use the low A baritone + Nashville hybrid tuning for the acoustic guitar, before the update, I felt that the low notes were flappy (cannot think of another word) and the high strings were too brittle. I had to use the jazz box body with a single coil pickup to make it work. With the new update (which I thought the acoustics got some upgrades), I can use the jumbo with the said tuning and it seems to sound better to my ears. Also, the 12 strings sound better to me too :-)

I just ordered a new JTV-59 tobacco sunburst the other day and have already received it. Formerly, I only sat back and lusted over one of these guitars because funds just didn't permit purchasing one. You know, typical married with children scenario. As it turned out, my Mother-In-Law came into a bit of cash and decided to buy me one. I am sooooooo thankful to her. I tried talking her out of it because of the expense but she insisted. Anyway, I received the guitar right after the new updates were released. Sweetwater went ahead and updated all the guitars they have in stock, checked my guitar over thoroughly, set it up (fantastic job, might I add...plays like butter). I cannot begin to tell you how much I love this guitar. I cannot wait for the guys in my band to hear it sing. They were used to hearing my original Variax 500 and I know they will like the new edition to their band.

As far as the models changing, what models are in the presets now? Is there a picture chart for the new edition like the old original variax color chart?