Sign in to follow this  
hnaline6

John Abercrombie Setup in Total Eclipse ?

Hi Folks,

Does anybody have any clue / guess / knows what effects/ setup John Abercrombie were using in:

Total Eclipse - Billy Cobham - Solarization

Here's a clip - https://youtu.be/sbkv3ZGIIj0?t=73

Just curious... It's an album from 1974 and I haven't heard anything similar to this day.

Thank You

HNA

The first thing you need to do is separate what is a guitar and what is a synthesizer (notice I didn't say keyboard, lol). Also, what is studio effect - including clipping - that would never be able to be reproduced by just a guitar. 

Listen to: 

1. Jimi Hendrix 

2. A song called Frankenstein by Johnny WInter

I hear a lot of similarities. And it may help you determine some of the above questions I poised. 

Thank You

I don't hear any synths in this particular track.  If you are referring to a guitar synth , this was 1974.  If you are referring to a keyboard synthesizer, I believe there's none on this track.

Hi! I am hearing spots where the trumpet is actually doubling the melody (not solos) played on the guitar. I hear snatches of a slow setting on a Uni-vibe. Distortion-wise any cranked distortion (not just overdrive) should suffice. Abercrombie is a combo amp player! I have seen him use Twins, Music Man, etc.

With all this, keep in mind that amp-wise you may find a combination of amp and a different cab that may sound better to you. The core of his sound is what I mentioned above.

• Upvote 1

BTW, the last guitar solo sounds like some slow speed flanging and a very fast delay for a doubling effect. This plus the post above should get you in the neighborhood. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

I hear a phaser or univibe after the distortion and I believe I hear a little ring modulator in there.

• Upvote 1

Hi! I am hearing spots where the trumpet is actually doubling the melody (not solos) played on the guitar. I hear snatches of a slow setting on a Uni-vibe. Distortion-wise any cranked distortion (not just overdrive) should suffice. Abercrombie is a combo amp player! I have seen him use Twins, Music Man, etc.

With all this, keep in mind that amp-wise you may find a combination of amp and a different cab that may sound better to you. The core of his sound is what I mentioned above.

BTW, the last guitar solo sounds like some slow speed flanging and a very fast delay for a doubling effect. This plus the post above should get you in the neighborhood. Good luck!

Thank You Sidroe!    A friend of mine posted the same question for me on another forum and same answer: Uni-Vibe.   I tried it and I'm close but not quite.   The speed is set to 1.3hz and depth of 78%.   I'll change to a cranked distortion and try that (had it on an overdrive).  I'll also try the flanging and very fast delay.  This is super!  Thanks Much and I appreciate your time!

I hear a phaser or univibe after the distortion and I believe I hear a little ring modulator in there.

Thanks brue58ski.  I've tried the Uni-vibe and it is pretty close!  Thank you for your time and I appreciate it!

It's always a pleasure to help anyone here. They have been so helpful with my questions, I am glad to re-pay the favor!