Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Inconsistent and inaccurate Tuner!!!

libertystudios

...if that's what was happening, PhD's from Cal Tech would be showing up at your gigs, setting up seismographs, and telling everyone to flee...

Up-voted just for this. :)  We should have a sticky thread dedicated just for cruisinon2's humorous analogies and snippets of wisdom. :)

Does it occur to anyone else how much whining goes on here?

For the last several months we endured whining about the inaccuracy of the Helix tuner.  Now we endure whining about it being too accurate.

I'm thinking the best feature Line 6 could add would be a test for bi-polar syndrome as a qualification before adding things to IdeaScale.

• Upvote 2

I'm thinking the best feature Line 6 could add would be a test for bi-polar syndrome as a qualification before adding things to IdeaScale.

Don't worry...eventually the gov't will start sneaking lithium, or some other mood stabilizer into the water, just like fluoride.

Obey everyone, obey....;)

• Upvote 1

Don't worry...eventually the gov't will start sneaking lithium, or some other mood stabilizer into the water, just like fluoride.

Obey everyone, obey.... ;)

No need to add lithium, they can just let the old lead piping water delivery infrastructure do its job (like the one in Flint, Michigan). A brain damaged public is a docile public, "mooo".

Does it occur to anyone else how much whining goes on here?

For the last several months we endured whining about the inaccuracy of the Helix tuner.  Now we endure whining about it being too accurate.

It has never been an "accuracy" issue for me. Problem was (and still is) the way it communicate with me, visually, and what it is trying to analyze realtime (laggy if you ask me). It is twitchy, it is jumpy, and sometimes (for some reason I have no clue about), it needs an extra boost in the signal to start recognizing. Accuracy is there, because when you manage to produce the "magic" note (most of the time using harmonics) it does show a correct value for a proper amount of time, before jumping off again.

You can buy a thermometer working with -/+ 0.1°C accuracy factor, but if start jumping +2, -1, +0.5, -3, no read, +1% etc etc, doesn't mean it can't work at 0.1% factor, means it is working erratic and unstable, and it probably needs some very specific environment status to work at its best. That is what I get since day 1, and that is with 9/10 of my guitars, because last one isn't recognized at all (7 string mounting a Lundgren M7), besides that it has a HUGE output.

If you believe this Tuner is working properly, sorry, means you never ever used a serious tuner before. :)

It has never been an "accuracy" issue for me. Problem was (and still is) the way it communicate with me, visually, and what it is trying to analyze realtime (laggy if you ask me). It is twitchy, it is jumpy, and sometimes (for some reason I have no clue about), it needs an extra boost in the signal to start recognizing. Accuracy is there, because when you manage to produce the "magic" note (most of the time using harmonics) it does show a correct value for a proper amount of time, before jumping off again.

You can buy a thermometer working with -/+ 0.1°C accuracy factor, but if start jumping +2, -1, +0.5, -3, no read, +1% etc etc, doesn't mean it can't work at 0.1% factor, means it is working erratic and unstable, and it probably needs some very specific environment status to work at its best. That is what I get since day 1, and that is with 9/10 of my guitars, because last one isn't recognized at all (7 string mounting a Lundgren M7), besides that it has a HUGE output.

If you believe this Tuner is working properly, sorry, means you never ever used a serious tuner before. :)

Lol... I guess I haven't used a serious tuner before then...

Honestly, I have no problem with the stability of the new tuner as far as it being too jumpy or anything like that. It has worked fine with everything I've thrown at it, including my acoustics and mandolin. So I'm really not sure why it's not working for some people.

That's the great thing about these forums, always good for a nice little chuckle now and again...

If it really bothers you, use what I used for the first 20 years of my career.  Always works, always in tune.....

dna-repair-528-hz-tuning-fork-5.jpgN16_01_1200_1200_Acupuncture-Ears-Set-fo

• Upvote 1

That's the great thing about these forums, always good for a nice little chuckle now and again...

If it really bothers you, use what I used for the first 20 years of my career. Always works, always in tune.....

dna-repair-528-hz-tuning-fork-5.jpgN16_01_1200_1200_Acupuncture-Ears-Set-fo

Stand by to be ear-shamed...I mean really, how do you KNOW that your ears are working with that ancient gadget anyway? Without flashing lights, how can you be sure? ;)

Clearly you need a "serious" tuner...ooh, I have an idea! Let's debate what exactly makes a tuner "serious"...who wants to go first?

UGH.

I didn't notice the instability with my Strat, just with the JTV.  It's usable, but I like to see a tuner needle stay between the lines without much wobble -- doesn't breed confidence.  Probably fine for most people.  I ordered a headstock clip-on that works with vibration to see if it's more stable.

Stand by to be ear-shamed...I mean really, how do you KNOW that your ears are working with that ancient gadget anyway? Without flashing lights, how can you be sure? ;)

Clearly you need a "serious" tuner...ooh, I have an idea! Let's debate what exactly makes a tuner "serious"...who wants to go first?

UGH.

Means it does communicate with you in a proper way, without being too twitchy and +/- jumpy, and in a short time. Sure it's me; with a Peterson took 1 minute to full tune the guitar, usually 1 pick per string + adjustments, with the Helix took much more. That's it guys. You can keep laughin at people, this is not going to change the truth. :)

Tuning is also a different world for everyone. There's people obsessed by tuning, offsets, temperament, and stuff like that, like me, and other great players who are playing out of tune all the time but they sometimes compensate with fingers and neck movements, or just it is the music genre which doesn't really demands any anal approach to that aspect.

But hey, I really do not give a damn. I didn't buy the Helix to tune my guitars. LOL.

If you are happy with it, YAY. Good for you guys, enjoy!

peace. :)

• Downvote 1

I was one of the people that found the tuner not to my liking when I first got the Helix so I plugged in my guitar to a Boss tuner. Then 2.0 update came in and the tuner GREATLY improved. Its still jumpy but a heck of a lot better. I have faith Line6 will keep on working on it as on everything else. I wish it was like my Boss tuner but hey, it does the job....

I loved the tuner pre 2.0 ? Or was it 2.01 that changed it. Can't remember

It was stable , and did not jump around. It seems and sounded accurate to me. Now , it just is a pain. Jumps all over. Maybe they can give the option of both types in the next firmware. I love the big bright tuner screen, but these notes hoping all over the place is crazy.

• Upvote 1

I loved the tuner pre 2.0 ? Or was it 2.01 that changed it. Can't remember

It was stable , and did not jump around. It seems and sounded accurate to me. Now , it just is a pain. Jumps all over. Maybe they can give the option of both types in the next firmware. I love the big bright tuner screen, but these notes hoping all over the place is crazy.

If I'm not mistaken, if you ignore the top higher resolution bar in the 2.0 tuner, the lower bar is the same as the pre-2.0 tuner, so you have both versions in the one display in the 2.0 tuner - both pre-2.0 and post-2.0.  So I believe it will do what you want without any changes.

If I'm not mistaken, if you ignore the top higher resolution bar in the 2.0 tuner, the lower bar is the same as the pre-2.0 tuner, so you have both versions in the one display in the 2.0 tuner - both pre-2.0 and post-2.0. So I believe it will do what you want without any changes.

I read this before, but unfortunately for me, the jumping is on the main bar is with very little tolerance. Maybe it's just a few units are doing this, but mine is one of them. I loved the tuner before the update. Bright and stable

I own a kemper and they gave the customer the option to have either or for the tuner. I hope they sort it, I really loved the tuner for it was so easy to see. Don't mean to sound unappreciative :)

This is more than just ignoring the top. I am wondering if there is a way to correct this behaviour if only a minority of units are behaving like this. Honestly, have zero complaints with the helix. I think this is my first one :)

No need to add lithium, they can just let the old lead piping water delivery infrastructure do its job (like the one in Flint, Michigan). A brain damaged public is a docile public, "mooo".

Which considering what the majority of the public believe about their reality.... the public has already proven to be brain damaged.  ;)

As far as the tuner, what are these people expecting?  Everyone that complained about it being inaccurate, then being too accurate might want to take a look at an evertune system.  To be fair, I kinda want to get one myself. 

The tuner is fine for me after the update. Yes before the update it was disappointing, however its fine now.

The tuner is fine for me after the update. Yes before the update it was disappointing, however its fine now.

Ahh but can this tuner also pickup FM, shortwave radio, late night BBC and sound like a jaw harp on Hillbilly day?

Well then....  ;)

• Upvote 1

A tuner which is not shaking and changing mind about a note 20 times per second. 

And btw, please, stop jumping that gun for everything people say which is not gonna celebrate your toys. 

Jeez.

A tuner which is not shaking and changing mind about a note 20 times per second. 

And btw, please, stop jumping that gun for everything people say which is not gonna celebrate your toys. 

Jeez.

Dude, you were the one who wrote this in an earlier comment- "If you believe this Tuner is working properly, sorry, means you never ever used a serious tuner before."

Are you surprised that people get defensive when you basically tell them they've never used a real tuner?

The tuner is what it is right now. If you don't like, that's fine. I suppose it's going to stay like this for awhile. Constantly complaining about isn't going to change it any faster.

Facebook-1d3fa8.png

Defensive because I said you probably never used a serious tuner? ROFL. I must be a "serious" bad guy to do a thing like that LOL! What a offence was that? :D :D

Was of course an hyperbole, as the one used by that other guy saying people asking for a better tuner has a bipolar syndrome. Should I defense myself from that insult? Nah, I can smile for a joke because I'm not 13. ;)

Really guys, it's 33 years I play guitars. It's 16 years I use L6 products. It's 6 years I'm in this forum but never posted anything because never been a moaning guy, at all. I love everything about my Helix, but still don't get why people has to defend a product in a way it looks they are defending their own lives, acting like bees protecting the hive. If the Tuner will improve it's gonna be a goodness for everyone....Sure I'm too old to understand.

Ok, tuner drama, done. Cheeeeers.

• Downvote 1

Yea words matter PierM. What you said before and now matters so laughing wont help or change that. Same for me. And what you "add" to this discussion later matters too. Same for me. Im almost 60. Ive been playing for 47+ years and been using Line 6 since they were telling people Variax would never have alternate tunings. All that doesn't matter here. You are not the only one who has opinions, so try and remember that when you post something, and when others disagree or take offense from your replies. This place isn't about you, or me. Its about the product. And all of us want a better more powerful better sounding Helix. Im not talking down to you and mean you no disrespect. But words matter. We all want a better tuner. I want one like what Kemper has, but thats just my wish. Peace brother, and think about it. I do, all the time.

• Upvote 1

Hey, is there a way to get back to the previous tuner display? It was definitely good enough for me and I waste time trying to stabilize the new display instead of actually playing.

One minor issue: I just recorded a song in drop A on my 5-string bass and the Helix wouldn't display any pitch at all.

Tuning to the harmonic did work but is not as quick/comfortable as I can't keep my left hand just over the tuning key like I usually do.

Hey, is there a way to get back to the previous tuner display?....

No, but if you ignore the top row of the display you have the old tuner display in the bottom row. As long as the bottom row bar is green you are in tune as far as the old tuner is concerned. The top row is only for fine tuning +/-3 cents when the bottom bar shows green.

No, but if you ignore the top row of the display you have the old tuner display in the bottom row. As long as the bottom row bar is green you are in tune as far as the old tuner is concerned. The top row is only for fine tuning +/-3 cents when the bottom bar shows green.

Yep, that's what I really love about the tuner.   I generally play three-piece arrangements so it's more important we are in tune as group.  If it turns out I need to "tune" a little flat or sharp a couple of cents across the board due to an synth or sample I'm using..  this 2.0x update makes that a breeze.   While I haven't put it to the test, it seems like I can tune faster with it too.   Again, if I'm just tuning to myself or a 6-string... I just need the green bar, but if I'm tuning the 10 or 12 strings, seeing the plus or minus on the octaves and especially the doubles, really helps speed up the process.

I actually find it pretty hard to ignore flashing lights. Fingers crossed for it to become a global option in a future update.

I actually find it pretty hard to ignore flashing lights. Fingers crossed for it to become a global option in a future update.

A global option is a good idea - is it on ideascale already?

Just to note, though - the old tuner operates on flashing lights also. They flash red until it's green. When that happens, stop looking and turn it off. ;)

• Upvote 2

Hey, is there a way to get back to the previous tuner display? It was definitely good enough for me and I waste time trying to stabilize the new display instead of actually playing.

One minor issue: I just recorded a song in drop A on my 5-string bass and the Helix wouldn't display any pitch at all.

Tuning to the harmonic did work but is not as quick/comfortable as I can't keep my left hand just over the tuning key like I usually do.

I truly hope we don't end up with a global option to have the old tuner display back.  The tuner is much more granular and much improved now. They just need to make it a little less jumpy.  As a general rule I prefer to see improved features fine tuned.  Let's please not start moving backwards and giving options to have old versions of features rather than simply improving newer better ones. If they cannot stabilize the display then I can understand a global option not to show the new bars in the readout but I hope it does not come to that.

• Upvote 1

I truly hope we don't end up with a global option to have the old tuner display back.  The tuner is much more granular and much improved now. They just need to make it a little less jumpy.  As a general rule I prefer to see improved features fine tuned.  Let's please not start moving backwards and giving options to have old versions of features rather than simply improving newer better ones. If they cannot stabilize the display then I can understand a global option not to show the new bars in the readout but I hope it does not come to that.

I am all for less jumpy. I didn't have an accuracy problem before though. But I just want it less jumpy. Again, this may be affecting only a few of us. ??? But if they can make it less jumpy I will be happy. Can't use it as is, at least with quick results. Lol

• Upvote 1