Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Remastered Model Packs

DunedinDragon

I've owned the vintage pack for some time now and I just got the metal pack, primarily for the remastered JCM800.  However I noticed while going through all the amps in both the vintage and metal packs they seem to respond in a much more accurate manner to the original amps than do the models that come with the POD HD.

I realize the JCM is remastered, which apparently involves a different process (HX) for modeling than what was used on the default JCM that came with the unit.  Based on the better response of all of the amps in the add-on packs, I wondering if these were all modeled with the HX modeling process.  Does anyone know?  If so it sure seems they could breathe a little more life into the HD series with some additional amp packs remodeled with the HX process.

Sounds like a something for IdeaScale....

• Upvote 1

As far as I know, they were all constructed that way, with the exception of the ones ported from the older X3 Live (or is it the XT?) device, which includes the Octone, Insane, Big Bottom, Variac'ed Plexi, Purge, Agro, Smash,  and Acoustic. These are amps that don't exist in reality and are Line 6 creations, and also don't have pre versions.

Submitted to IdeaScale...give it a vote if you can:

Additional Amp Packs for POD HD

The HD Model Packs are a welcome and useful addition to the POD HD series. I believe the HD series could receive additional life if many of the stock amps that come with the HD were remastered in the same way as the JCM800 and released as a new model pack. Of particular interest would be amps like the HiWatt, VOX A-15, Marshall J-45, Plexi, P-75, and Soldono. Between a remastered Soldono and the Pete Anderson Custom I believe the Twin and Deluxe Reverb are already well covered.

I'm sorely tempted to buy the metal pack just for the JCM800, it's what I used before I went back to a digital rig, and I use the J-800 now and I'm not 100% happy with it...

They're quite different. I like the original J800 for low-mid gain, "Def Leppard-ish" rhythm tone stuff. I find the 2204 more suited to a saturated high-gain lead. Both useful, but definitely different.

They're quite different. I like the original J800 for low-mid gain, "Def Leppard-ish" rhythm tone stuff. I find the 2204 more suited to a saturated high-gain lead. Both useful, but definitely different.

Interesting, I'm definitely more a user of the latter in my band, might have to stump up the $$ and get it!

There are too many amp models to choose from with the model pacls. It is alot to wade thru.

There is more than enough in the stock models. Around 30 I think. It is a lot of choice.

Albeit I do use the 2204 alot. It does modern well too.

While more is always good I'd recommend you explore some models that you havent gone in on. 

See what you got.

If you get the model packs it will keep you plenty occupied while you make choices so best really check out what you got already.

The percentage of what you usually end up using out of what you got is about the same.

"Remastered" is a great word for driving sales...almost as good as a subliminal ad, endlessly repeating "buy me again, buy me again". ;)

Although I'd agree with your sentiment when it comes to remastered videos or music, I think their use of the term is slightly different.  In watching some of the promo videos for the Helix I found one that covered the process and techniques used in their modeling lab.  Apparently they've gone much deeper in modeling additional parts of the circuit paths in the amps for the Helix of which the remastered JCM-800 is one of the beneficiaries.  The response of the gain circuit is clearly different on this remastered version as is the response on the tone circuits and amp volume circuit.  In both cases they match up very closely to what I remember from using a JCM in the past.

I've also noticed considerably better gain, tone and amp volume response from the other amps I've been using from the vintage pack.  It's just a guess on my part but I'm suspecting, given the timing of the release of the model packs and the development of the Helix, that the same process was likely used on the amps in the vintage pack.  Of course they weren't marked as "remastered" because they didn't exist prior to their release on the vintage pack.

Whatever the case may be, I know I tend to be drawn to the amps in the vintage pack because of their tone and responsiveness over the stock amp models.  If they could do the same for some of my other favorite stock amp models, I'd gladly pay the $50.

• Upvote 1

I doubt they did much "remastering" for the old models converted to the HD500 format. For instance, several of the new models have 60 cycles included, which is accurate to the original amp I suppose, but there's no DEP to remove it. In fact, there's no DEP at all for these. If these were "remodeled"  I believe it would have been quite easy to add this feature. 60 cycles is certainly retro, but certainly not musical. Take it away, please.

• 2 weeks later...