Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clicking noise on my POD HD500X

Philipozz

I've recently got problems with a clicking noise when I use my POD HD500X.

At first I suspected my guitar, so I made sure everything was tightened properly.

It didn't help, and I also noticed that I get this noise from all of my other instruments.

It doesn't matter if I use the mono outputs, headphones or use the POD as audio interface.

I've tried to reinstall all software with Line6 Monkey, and the problems remain.

Here's a video describing my problems:

I'd appreciate all kinds of suggestions for solving this :)

That's very unusual. At first I thought it might be related to noise from a usb connection, but it's not clear whether your HD500X is connected to your computer. But in any case that theory is disproved by the fact that the noise disappears when you reduce the guitar volume using your guitar's volume knob. The clicking is very regular, though, which suggests it is somehow clock related.

I suspect there is a hardware issue in your HD500X that needs to be resolved. I think you should open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support on this.
http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

You mention that the noise is present with other instruments too so I think we can rule out the instruments themselves. Let's see if it is related to the physical Guitar In jack on the HD500X. Try connecting your guitar (and other instruments) to the Aux input. You will need to adjust your preset Inputs. Is the clicking noise still evident? If so, it's likely something in the signal processing stage rather than the input stage. If the clicking disappears at least you have a workaround until you decide to send it to an authorized service center to have the Guitar In jack and circuitry repaired.

I presume you have already ruled out the guitar cable itself as the cause?

• Upvote 2

That's very unusual. At first I thought it might be related to noise from a usb connection, but it's not clear whether your HD500X is connected to your computer. But in any case that theory is disproved by the fact that the noise disappears when you reduce the guitar volume using your guitar's volume knob. The clicking is very regular, though, which suggests it is somehow clock related.

I suspect there is a hardware issue in your HD500X that needs to be resolved. I think you should open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support on this.

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

You mention that the noise is present with other instruments too so I think we can rule out the instruments themselves. Let's see if it is related to the physical Guitar In jack on the HD500X. Try connecting your guitar (and other instruments) to the Aux input. You will need to adjust your preset Inputs. Is the clicking noise still evident? If so, it's likely something in the signal processing stage rather than the input stage. If the clicking disappears at least you have a workaround until you decide to send it to an authorized service center to have the Guitar In jack and circuitry repaired.

I presume you have already ruled out the guitar cable itself as the cause?

Thank you for the response!

I tried the AUX input with all of my instruments (Two electric guitars and one electric bass), and I get the same problem.

I also tried it with a brand new cable and got the same result.

I'll go ahead and open a support ticket.

Backup your patches, and try a factory reset...it's a weird problem, and I'm guessing it probably won't help, but you never know. These things get weird sometimes.

I tried that one also, but it didn't help =(

Thank you anyway! =)

It's gotta be the guitars picking up something, right? When you turn down the guitar volume control it goes away. When you engage the noise gate it goes away. This all tells me it's coming from your guitars. Are all your guitars single coil? Try turning off the lights and the computer (if any). Plug the HD500X into a different outlet, Set it up in a different room. Things like that.

• Upvote 1

I've recently got problems with a clicking noise when I use my POD HD500X.

At first I suspected my guitar, so I made sure everything was tightened properly.

It didn't help, and I also noticed that I get this noise from all of my other instruments.

I'm going back to the OP's initial post. The problem is either not the guitar or it's the guitar and, coincidentally, all other instruments he's tested with.

Since this began recently, it's likely not a local electrical problem unless he's recently moved or had electrical work done in his house. But definitely worth looking at; even moving the device from one room to another in the current house could cause this.

All good ideas and suggestions to check out, but I'm still thinking it's an Hd500 hardware issue.

Bring it to a friends house and see if it still happens there. I thought my unit was messed up, but it turns out I have some faulty wiring in my house that cause electronics to buzz and hum like mad.

Hi!

I got back home last night after spending the weekend at my parents' place,

and it seems like the visit solved the problem with my POD even though it stayed at home :P

I even tried to do some different settings to see if I could get the clicking back,

but it seems to be all gone!

I have the POD connected on the same power strip as my computer and several other devices,

and all I did was to turn it off while I was gone, so I guess the problem came from the power supply.

I couldn't find any chewing marks on the cables, or any traces of mouse poop ^^

Thank you all for the support!

I know of something similar occurring with other type computer interface  signal processing setups.  It seems that the noise resulted from the size the audio drivecache being so small that it was dumping its memory like clockwork. --- (see the ASIO driver settings) . setting the size as small as possible to minimize latency when  overdubbing tracks may bear some guilt. 

• Upvote 1

Glad you sorted it out.

Having just watched your clip the fact the guitar knob turned down attenuated the noise immediately ruled out the HD itself for me.

All my guitars are shielded since owning the HD500 as they induce noise in the pickups being similar to a computer and an amp for that matter at a certain positions of the guitar.

Since they were shielded the necessity to turn menu aux input from same to none or variax is not so needed.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried some different options now, and the noise seems to depend on how I hold the instrument.

If I for example turn my back against the computer, I get less noise.

I also get more noise in certain positions on the guitar's mic switch.

I'm now suspecting that my living room is a noisy environment due to a lot of electronics.

The wifi-router behind my desk is highly suspected, so I will try to move it somewhere else.

I got the same amount of noise in the bedroom, but it might be because of the router.

I have my computer and POD close to a wall that divides my apartment from my neighbours.

They might have some devices close to the wall that emit a lot of noise.

I will do some more testing and share the results here.

Maybe the POD is completely ok after all.

I find guitars and quarter inch (and even 8th in.) cables are subject to interference. Computers, lights, power strips, phones, lights, even the pod itself gives off interfering noises that get amplified through the signal chain.

I've put myself in a very large room with my guitar, 2 quarter inch cables, pod, and a wedge. I will get the least noise and if I'm far away from both devices and any walls, and the chords aren't overlapping any devices or other cords that happen to be laying around and I get the best signal to noise ratio. and then the vacuum cleaner comes on the Next Room and I'm screwed!

• Upvote 1

I find guitars and quarter inch (and even 8th in.) cables are subject to interference. Computers, lights, power strips, phones, lights, even the pod itself gives off interfering noises that get amplified through the signal chain.

I've put myself in a very large room with my guitar, 2 quarter inch cables, pod, and a wedge. I will get the least noise and if I'm far away from both devices and any walls, and the chords aren't overlapping any devices or other cords that happen to be laying around and I get the best signal to noise ratio. and then the vacuum cleaner comes on the Next Room and I'm screwed!

And then there's that pesky cosmic microwave background!

• Upvote 1

Remove the power strip from the equation. Plug everything direct. 

I know that it seems to be counterproductive to their designed purpose, but those things often interfere with normal operation. 

And then make sure that none of the cords are 'overlapping'. 

Also,.,,

Since the noise goes away when you turn the guitar down.... 

1. what happens when you use a long cord and are standing on the other side of the room? You know, outside of the interference area. 

2. what happens when you go wireless? which, essentially, removes any sort of 'loop' issue. 

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your answers!

Now the noise has been gone for two days in a row without any changes to the POD or any nearby electronics.

I tried to plug the POD directly to the wall while I had the noise, but it remained the same.

Since the noise was gone, I tried to turn all my electronics on and off to see if they would generate the noise, but I didn't hear anything more than some ordinary humming. (I had the noise gate turned off)

While I had the noise issues, I tried to use the POD in the bedroom and the kitchen using only the "Guitar in"- and "Phones" ports, and there was no difference from the living room.

If the noise ever comes back, I will try to plug my guitar straight into audio interface to see if it also picks up the noise.

If so, the POD should be totally fine, right?

Remove the power strip from the equation. Plug everything direct. 

I know that it seems to be counterproductive to their designed purpose, but those things often interfere with normal operation. 

And then make sure that none of the cords are 'overlapping'. 

Also,.,,

Since the noise goes away when you turn the guitar down.... 

1. what happens when you use a long cord and are standing on the other side of the room? You know, outside of the interference area. 

2. what happens when you go wireless? which, essentially, removes any sort of 'loop' issue. 

1. I tried to walk around as far as my 3 meter cable allowed, but my position didn't seem to change the sound. However, the noise changed depending on how I was holding my guitar. The clicking also changed sound slightly with the different mic switch-positions.

2. I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I tried to use as few cables as possible ("Power" "Guitar in" "Phones") in all different rooms (except the bathroom since it lacks a power output).

Please correct me if you think I'm wrong, but I think I could isolate the fault to magnetic leakage from an external source which induces noise in the pickups of my instruments.

My neighbour is away during this week, but I will ask about his electronics as soon as I can :)

The case is solved!

It's been very interesting :P

The noise came back again today, so I tried plugging the guitar straight into the audio interface. I got the same clicking there, so I could exclude any errors to the POD itself :) I then decided to check with all neighbouring apartments to see if they were using some powerful electronics, or also had issues with clicking. The guy living below me also had an electric guitar, and he got the exact same noise with his guitar and amp. The guy on the other side of the wall didn't notice anything himself, but he told me that he had been talking to a neighbouring lady who often got some noise in her hearing aid. He said that it always occured to her whenever the robotic lawn mower on our yard was going. I then decided to speak to the janitor of our community and ask about the lawn mower, and he could confirm that a lady had the same noise that I described. I then asked him to turn it off so I could see if it would cancel the noise for me, and it did!

I would never expect that, but I'm very glad that I finally found the cause ^^

The janitor also said that the lawn mower parks in it's charging station at 6pm every day,

so I'll have to wait until then before recording :P

• Upvote 1

Wow. That is really interesting. And unfortunate. Damn worse-than-useless technology polluting the airwaves.

Tell the janitor to get off his lollipop and mow the lawn the normal way. :lol: Robotic lawn mowers. Sheesh. Figure out a way to sabotage it. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know what was happening. Certainly not something you hear about everyday.

• Upvote 2

Wow. That is really interesting. And unfortunate. Damn worse-than-useless technology polluting the airwaves.

Tell the janitor to get off his lollipop and mow the lawn the normal way. :lol: Robotic lawn mowers. Sheesh. Figure out a way to sabotage it. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know what was happening. Certainly not something you hear about everyday.

Yeah, I'm surprised that there are no regulations prohibiting a lawn mower like this one!

I can't imagine how annoying it must be for someone who needs hearing aid.

It seems like lawn mowers are not only causing problems for musicians, but also astronomers!

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/irobot-lawnbot/

I should suggest this sollution to the janitor  :D

Yeah, I'm surprised that there are no regulations prohibiting a lawn mower like this one!

I can't imagine how annoying it must be for someone who needs hearing aid.

It seems like lawn mowers are not only causing problems for musicians, but also astronomers!

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/irobot-lawnbot/

I should suggest this sollution to the janitor  :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one.

Not cool pissing off musicians and astronomers. For people with hearing aids, it's gotta be beyond horrific.

Why am I not surprised the company's name starts with a small "i".

• Upvote 1

I remember the days that the trucks would drive by while using their CB and it would be picked up on my home stereo and guitar amp and ----- 

Blimey

However, the question still remains...

What is it actually interfering with and why?

• Upvote 1

Rufking kidding me? A lawnmower?? That's it? I'm going to bed! laugh.gif

I know! It was hard for me to believe it as well, so I had to check it again today.

I'm moving to another place after the summer, so I guess I can live with this lawn mower until then.

Otherwise, I would have to break it or coat my walls with aluminum foil