Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ordered Helix :-)

Garhel

Well, after a bit of advice and a lot of surfing, and then a few hours with the demo unit in my local store, I've taken the plunge and ordered the floor unit, but it won't be here until the end of May. However, now I'm pondering whether the rack unit would be better. I mostly want it for live playing so logically it seems the floor unit would be the best fit, but has anybody experienced both, and are there any pros and cons that people have come across that perhaps are beyond the obvious or that weren't expected? The extra few quid isn't an issue, but I could have the rack and controller straight away, not that I mind waiting.

Either way, very excited and can't wait to get deep into playing with it and getting some settings sorted out for my gigs. I'm also going to go for the Alto 212 speaker as a quick and cheap way to get going, I've heard lots of good things about these in a live environment for the very reasonable price.

For live use with my wireless I would prefer the rack unit to enable shorter cables and getting the most expensive bit of kit off the floor. However I've got the floor unit because it was the only option available at the time - plus I didn't really want to cough up the extra for the controller.

I have a rack. I love it.

unless you know, and I mean KNOW... for sure... the reasons you need or want the rack...

...get the floor. You save money and get the same functionality plus a built-in expression pedal.

I have a rack. I love it.

unless you know, and I mean KNOW... for sure... the reasons you need or want the rack...

...get the floor. You save money and get the same functionality plus a built-in expression pedal.

Good advice. I'm pretty much sold on the floor unit, but as someone coming from the traditional amp and pedals setup, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I'm a bit nervous about having over a grands worth of gear on the floor, but I'm sure once it's had a few gigs I'll feel less worried! I'm sure I feel the same with a new guitar, but my PRS is getting pretty banged up after 10 years of practice and gigging, and it never really crosses my mind anymore...