Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

perapera

hi all

great thread - learnt a lot about the routing of the HD500x through here.

WRT running two 'real' amps on two separate paths on the HD500x - this is exactly what I've been doing.

one amp is a laney VC30 - I use the power amp section of this, going into the effects return loop input - effects on the HD then a pre model

second amp is a Marshall AFD-100 & 2x 4x12 - using the fx loop on this, just running simple effects - chorus, delay, reverb etc

(my guitar input has an A/B switch so I can select either HD path & corresponding amp)

All functions fine

I do however have one problem - hum

sounds like an earth loop - but I can only hear it on the Laney !

the Marshall is 100% silent

if I disconnect the marshall send & return feeds, the hum disappears totally

any suggestions ?!

Just so happens I solved the hum issue with my Laney Ironheart today and was browsing this forum for the first time in ages. So this coincidences allow me to reply to your question about solving hum from the Laney amp - assuming it is ground loop hum.

I've been having this problem with the Laney for ages and never quite managed to solve it. Quite a while ago I bought a Behringer HD400 passive hum destroyer (very inexpensive) but never got it to work. I realise now I was using it wrong - trying to connect both the send and return of my amp to it. Here's what I did today. I just connected the HD400 to the line that was going from the POD HD to the amp's FX return (so just using one input and output on the HD400). Thus breaking the physical connection (but not signal connection) between the pre-amp and power amp. And the hum was gone. Can't believe it's taken so long to do this.

And thus I've been enjoying an almost silent 4CM with my POD HD500 and Ironheart this evening. Tonight I even experimented with the 4CM method that doesn't use the POD's FX loop at all. Guitar > Pod Guitar Input > POD Signal path B > Guitar amp input > Amp FX send > POD Aux Input > POD Signal Path A > Amp FX Return. Can't believe I've never tried it before, works a treat. The only downside is you can't use the looper. 

Interesting discussion on routing this. It took me a long time to figure out the signal routing on the HD500 myself and I bought one the week of release. It was finally realising that both the A and B paths were separate stereo that made everything fall into place. I tend to build patches totally in one signal path now - it's my preferred method. I keep A and B completely separate. I almost never put pre-effects before the split, always fully in the side paths before the amp, then after the amp. 

• 10 months later...

I'm honestly not sure this thread, which I've probably read 20x, has helped. I really appreciate those that have tried to help and don't intend to minimize their efforts. I just don't get it. Today, in an attempt to understand it better I set up a number of simple patches. My setup is two guitars plugged into the 500x. Acoustic guitar is in the Aux input and my electric is plugged into the Guitar input. I'm using the XLR outputs. Global inputs applied to all patches.

Scenario 1: New Patch; no amp, no fx; only mixer (as default as you get!) Global Inputs: Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Aux GUITAR input only Path A: 100%; Pan All L or 100% Pan all R Result: Path A sends to Output 1 &/or 2 depending on Pan settings. Path B Level/Pan do nothing. I assume the reason for the above results is that I'm not using the Aux input. If I was, Path B would work and Path would do nothing. Yes?

Scenario 2: New Patch; no amp, Mono or Stereo Thru/Mono Effect or Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect fx in PRE stage; mixer Global Inputs: Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Aux GUITAR input only Result: Path A sends to Output 1 &/OR 2; Path B sends to Output 1 &/or 2; both channels are dependent on PAN settings. Now I've introduced fx and Path B is working despite not using Aux input. hmmm

Scenario 3: New Patch; no amp, Mono fx in POST stage; mixer Global Inputs: Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Aux GUITAR input only Result: Path A sends to Output 1 &/OR 2 depending Path A's Pan settings; Path B generates A LOT OF HISS at high Levels but no sound I pointed out the hiss because other times when Path B isn't getting signals, even if I crank the mixer level, it's still whisper quite. Not in this case though.

Scenario 4: New Patch; no amp, Stereo Thru/Mono Effect & Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect fx in POST stage; mixer Global Inputs: Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Aux GUITAR input only Result: Path A sends to Output 1 & 2; Pan settings can't completely turn off an output; Path B settings do nothing. Note: in this scenario it's not 1 or 2. It's 1 AND 2. The signal is going to both outputs regardless of Pan settings. ???? Pan affects the level of sound going to each, but it can't prevent sound from going to one or the other outputs. I'm completely lost here.

Scenario 5: New Patch; no amp, True Stereo fx in Pre stage OR POST stage; mixer Global Inputs: Input 1 = Guitar; Input 2 = Aux GUITAR input only Result: Path A sends to Output 1 &/OR 2 depending Path A's Pan settings; Path B settings do nothing. *if guitar is plugged into the AUX input, then Path B sends to Output 1 &/OR 2 and Path A does nothing This is the exact same result as Scenario 1 w/ no FX. Now I'm really confused. Unless scenario 1, the default patch, is a true stereo patch all the way through despite having no fx. Yes?

So....if anyone can help me reach true enlightenment, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I initially figured Input 1 followed Path A and Input 2 (AUX in my case) would follow Path B, but now I'm not thinking that's the case. The one thing that ALMOST seems constant (but for Scenario 4) is that the Pan settings will determine which output carries the signal to my amp. However, if I decide to use Stereo Thru/Mono Effects OR Stereo Thru/Stereo Effects fx in the POST stage, I need to make sure the last fx is either Mono or True Stereo so I can properly pan all Left OR all Right. The other two (Stereo/Thru Mono & Stereo/Thru Stereo), if placed at the end of my signal chain (POST) will prevent me from panning all left or all right. Am I finally getting this? TIA!

Thanks Guru!  More to digest.

I believe your point #3 & 7b matches w/ my scenarios 1 & 5. 

I think the bottom line is...

1. If you want to completely control panning, don't use Stereo Thru/Mono Effect or Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect fx in the POST stage's end of the chain. I've tried putting a mono block after it and it STILL doesn't adhere to my Pan settings.  I don't know what in the hell Line6 was thinking but it's effing FRUSTRATING!!!!  Regardless of what type of effect it is, if I pan all left NOTHING SHOULD COME OUT OF the freaking right XLR channel. I'm getting to the point where I hate this pedal.

2. Every fx block, whether Mono, True Stereo, Stereo Thru/Mono Effect or Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect fx, sends out 2 channels.  The only question is whether it's a mono signal duplicated  (L + L) or a stereo signal (L + R).

3. The split maintains the two signals to each Path (A &  B) and duplicates when necessary (ie, mono block immediately preceding the path split).

I'm not quite sure why 2 guitars would overload a signal. I wouldn't be playing both guitars at the same time nor would I use the same patch for an electric and an acoustic for numerous reasons.