Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

perapera

Hello Lorenzo,
I think, it would be better that you will make a hand sketch and present it here. I will redraw the scheme then.

Thanks for your wishes, I wish you the same, merry Christmas time and pleasant relax.

You can quote me as Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals´ translator into Czech language.

Milan

Hello Lorenzo,

I think, it would be better that you will make a hand sketch and present it here. I will redraw the scheme then.

Thanks for your wishes, I wish you the same, merry Christmas time and pleasant relax.

You can quote me as Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals´ translator into Czech language.

Milan

Thanks to you, Milan, I started modifying my schematics and ended up with a version I like A LOT!

you can redraw your version and publish it, but I think that here I'll stick with this handmade version at least for a while

bye

and happy new year!

Lorenzo

I updated my routing schematics

the mods do not concern the content of the routing

It's just a clearer way to explain the same signal routing

many thanks to Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals' translator into Czech language

for inspiring me in doing that

cheers

Lorenzo

• 1 month later...

Any info for use withta dt25/50 amp? dual paths, cab modelling, the point in the chain where channel volume and master volumes are placed,and summing etcwhen output is unexplained with a line6 link to a dt25 amp..

Especially when low volume gets engaged, and the use of the direct out. whats going on in the chain there is a total mystery, and I've received conflicting explanations the few times I asked line6 support, so I guess they don't understand it either.

I updated my routing schematics

the mods do not concern the content of the routing

It's just a clearer way to explain the same signal routing

many thanks to Milan, Line 6 fan and Line 6 manuals' translator into Czech language

for inspiring me in doing that

cheers

Lorenzo

Hi Lorenzo - is your updated routing schematic drawing the one in the first entry of this thread?  Or have you posted the updated drawing somewhere else?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the HD 500. Does the "post" position mean that it is modeling effects in the effects loop of the modeled amp or effects put on the signal between the microphone and mixer in a studio setup? To put it another way, is "post" post pre-amp or post amplifier? Thanks.

The pre/post terminology applies directly to the POD HD Looper. If that's what you are talking about, it's much simpler than you think.

Pre means the looper records the incoming signal directly from the source(s), before it enters the DSP chain. This is used to record a dry signal and then tweak the tone hands-free (and/or change presets to hear the differences) while the looper plays back the recording for you.

Post means the looper records the fully processed signal, the same signal that is sent to the HD outputs. This is useful to record a backing track (e.g. A chord sequence) and then use it to play solo on top of using a different tone/preset.

If you are talking about the POD HD FX loop, that's a completely different thing and the pre/post terminology doesn't really apply. You can position the FX Loop anywhere you like in the signal chain, and using the 4-cable method you can fully control its position relative to the amp's preamp and power amp sections.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. If I put an effect before the amplifier in the signal chain I understand that it is simulating plugging my guitar into an effect and then plugging the effect into an amplifier. If I move that effect to after the amp in the Pod's signal chain (either in path A or B or after the mixer), is that simulating putting an effect in the simulated amp's effects loop? I'm not asking about the effects loop on the Pod or a looper. Thanks again for responding.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

according to many previous posts I redesigned the routing schematics of POD HD500 and tried to improve it just a little.

My goal was to include all possible kinds of FX blocks and show the difference between routing in A/B paths according to missing or using „pre“ FX blocks.

Any thoughts? Thanks for opinions…

Z.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1xzHkOJtKipR09jWjNwa051MzA/edit?usp=sharing

• Upvote 2

OK I have to say I am struggling to get my head around this. My needs are simple:

1 x Guitar in - a few mono effects in 'pre' (drives, wah) - single amp - a few stereo effects in 'post' (reverb/delay) - output to Sudio/Direct via S/PDIF or output to DT25

What is the best input settings, mixer pans etc for this simple setup?

Gazza

• 6 months later...

hi darwan23

I'm the author of the first schematics in this thread,

you did great with graphics, good job!

I'm sorry to be so late but I'm not following this forum much

I just have a pair of doubts/questions for you on the fx blocks you drew

1- which effects do you have in mind as "true stereo" as opposed to "Stereo THRU/Stereo Fx block"?

I think this distinction does not exist **

2- the "-6dB" involved in the mono summing into the effects is missing in your schematics, but I think it's very important to understand how the pod routing/gain-staging works

** what you call "Stereo THRU/Stereo Fx block" IS actually true stereo,

but a stereo effect that does not provide a mix knob such as an equalizer for example is true stereo too;

from your "true stereo" schematic it seems that these effects treat the left and right signals separately and generate two DIFFERENT STEREO signals and then mix them together:

no effect that I'm aware does such a thing in the pod

(only some evoved convolution reverb plugins actually do something like that).

---

Another two things I feel I need to clarify on your schematics for people that are trying to learn from this thread:

3- the two big schematics (with and without "pre split" FX) are exactly the same,

in fact I think darwan23 could get rid of the first one

the difference resides in which kind of effect someone chooses to put before the split, if it's stereo it will leave A and B paths separated

if it's mono or "mono fx / stereo thru" it will do what their schematics show

4- the continuous vs dotted lines to distinguish between mono and stereo signals could be confusing, in the sense that the dotted lines labelled L and R could also be representing two identical signals running in parallel which IS mono... it all depends on which effect you put where

also the two inputs could carry two sides of a stereo signal so the continuous lines could refer to a stereo and not mono signal

what I'm triying to say is that in darwan23's schematics there is no difference between what is drawn in continuous or in dotted fashion (it could be all continuous and work the same)

as always, I'm just hoping to help

bye

Lorenzo

• Upvote 1

and to Gazza

if you only need a simple setup you don't need to know all aspects of the routing (it doesn't hurt of course, but you don't NEED to), just:

- load an empty "new tone" patch

- load an amp (leaving the amp block where it is)

- IGNORE the A/B paths and the mixer

- load the pre-effects before the amp

- load the post-effects after the mixer

yes, it's THAT easy :)

• Upvote 2

Another problem I noticed, is when I have a dual signal and I'm just using Path A for my guitar, if I'm using my POD as an audio interface and the looper as post, the looper is half as quiet than the guitar signal, so it's not really usable when doing this.

I use Path B for my microphone.

I can just use Guitar Rig's looper when I do this though.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow!

New to dream rig and working on figuring out my dual DT/L3/JTV69S/POD 500X setup.

Haven't digested this yet but it is exactly the kind of help I have been seeking (I think).   Great info at worst.  Likely highly informative and can't thank enough!!!

Very cool!

• 1 month later...

Perhaps a simple best practice is to always set input 2 to "Same" unless you are using two separate instruments with input 1 going directly to path A and input 2 going directly to path B. Then the mono/stereo/amp effects work as expected in both paths.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

(Oh my... can't print and can't copy-paste on the forum, at least with IE, But back to the subject:)

Quote from "perapera":

"1 - which effects do you have in mind as "true stereo" as oppsed to "Stereo THRU/Stereo Fx block"? I think this distinction does not exist ** "

As a reply to this, the "Stereo/Mono FX list for POD HD" describes the effects:

"True Stereo - Left input goes to the Left output, Right goes to the Right output, effect is added to each channel separately"

I would call that "Dual Mono", or "Separated Stereo".

"Stereo Thru/Stereo Effect - Left input goes to the Left output, Right..., Left input is processed to create a stereo effect and mixed with the Left and Right outputs, Right..."

So Left -> Stereo, Right -> Stereo, outputs mixed.

Thus looks like the "jandrio"'s images "True Stereo FX Block" and "Stereo THRU/Stereo FX Block" should be reversed to get them roughly right.

just when i thouhjt i had it figured out...

there really should be stereo effects only in a HD device. with a spread/width parameter and a mono switch. all the distortions and wahs dont take a lot of dsp anyways, and a stereo version would likely take  less than twice the dsp of the same mono effect.

think big. its a pod. you will love it.

• 10 months later...

So my question is: Is it possible to use this method to hook up 2 separate guitar amps and use a different "amp block?" for each one? I realize it wouldn't be stereo but the amps are older Peavey Bandit 112 (silver stripe versions) . I like the POD so much through the effects loop of  the one I bought another thinking I can have the fullness of two amps while playing. Or is the answer to my question elsewhere? Thanks for the knowledge here, I'll have to really study this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

great thread - learnt a lot about the routing of the HD500x through here.

WRT running two 'real' amps on two separate paths on the HD500x - this is exactly what I've been doing.

one amp is a laney VC30 - I use the power amp section of this, going into the effects return loop input - effects on the HD then a pre model

second amp is a Marshall AFD-100 & 2x 4x12 - using the fx loop on this, just running simple effects - chorus, delay, reverb etc

(my guitar input has an A/B switch so I can select either HD path & corresponding amp)

All functions fine

I do however have one problem - hum

sounds like an earth loop - but I can only hear it on the Laney !

the Marshall is 100% silent

if I disconnect the marshall send & return feeds, the hum disappears totally

any suggestions ?!

• 3 weeks later...

If the mixer is absolutely the first thing in the chain, that means the second thing is the amp, which also means you can't have any effects before the amp. That's just the way it is when you try to do this. You can have effects before the mixer on either path while the amp remains after the mixer, so that would be the biggest benefit. You could set it up so that you could "pan" between the two paths, or two different effect setups, before it hits the amp, without actually using two amps.