Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

General EQ suggstions

SoCal

I play a Les Paul and have made some good progress tweaking my Firehawk tones with EQ.  I run direct into PA and have a Kustom powered wedge back to me.

Can you provide some EQ suggestions that work well for you.

Eq is one of the most important things when tweaking tone.First of all,we need to know what type of tone you want ( more/less bassy,mids or not,treble or not ).I have some tips that could help but first,tell me what is your problem and what you want! :)

First need to get rid of fizz and sharpness and add some warmth.  The tones sound great with headphones but too harsh through the PA/monitors.  Already watched the tone creation video and go some good ideas.  Just need some general direction as to what frequency typically need to boost/cut.   Any sample Tones on Tone Search would help too.

Can't say much for guitar since I play bass (you know what I mean). I have a couple patterns for my custom tones with my instruments. Squelch 110, 191, and 272 to reduce harmonic ring (or 87, 247, 392). High shelf boost at 2.9KHz to maintain crispness. -76 or -48 dB gate does the rest. I did all the math tables and plots to arrive at the most effective open 2nd through 4th harmonics to dampen. The calculated numbers really shortened the time it took me to tune in the 4 band semiPEQ. I may be encouraged to try the math for regular guitar.

Hi Socal,

EQ is different with every guitar as well as monitor and listening area, so there are a lot of variables to consider.  I always reccomend cutting what you don't like vs. boosting what you like, to avoid adding noise to your signal.  if you have having an overly "sharp" attack, try dropping frequencies in the 3-5k range and see what happens.  a little EQ can go a long way, so take it in small chunks and see what happens.  best of luck!