Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does the JTV Variax require the battery to be in for a firmware update or to use Workbench HD?

Does the JTV Variax require the battery to be installed to update the firmware? I plugged in the USB adapter and cable that came with my Variax to the PC but I have not installed the batter yet as it is charging. The Line6 Monkey software sees the USB adapter but does not see the Variax.  Does the battery have to be installed to do a firmware update to the Variax? Does Workbench HD require a baqttery to see the Variax?

If you are not getting two green LED's on the interface, and you are not plugged into a USB hub,... yes you do.

And use a headphone adapter or a TRS plug patch cord, plug into the 1/4" jack,... that engages the battery. There

should be a switch click inside, and both LED's should be green. When you have that, you're ready to go.

• Like 1

... Does the battery have to be installed to do a firmware update to the Variax? Does Workbench HD require a battery to see the Variax?

If you are not getting two green LED's on the interface, and you are not plugged into a USB hub,... yes you do.

The USB does not power the Variax so yes you need the battery installed and a 1/4 inch plug in the jack.  You also need the volume knob turned up.

Thanks for the answers and the details on the 1/4 plug and volume, I know this question has probably been answered before.  I think I need to  ask for clarification, the two answers above seem at odds with each other. The answer from psarkissian seems to indicate that the Variax can be powered by a USB hub (or powered USB port?) via the Variax USB adaptor; the answer from Charlie_Watt says it can't.  Is a battery required if the Variax is connected to the USB adaptor and then to a powered hub or powered USB port? Still not sure whether I need the battery for Variax firmware updates and Workbench. I am surprised the USB adaptor is not powering the Variax through the supplied VDI/ethernet cable and I am trying to establish if my USB port is simply not powered properly or if it is a simple case of the Variax always requiring the battery installed and charged to use Line6 Monkey for a Variax firmware update, or Workbench.  Sorry for the newbie questions, it has been 10 years since I briefly owned a Variax.

The reason the USB adapter does not power the Variax is that standard USB is limited to 500mA and the Variax uses more than that - and it needs more than 5V.  The battery is 7.2V or so.  You do need the battery to use the USB interface.  If you have a Pod that supports it like the HD500X then you can connect the Variax through the Pod and not need the battery.

• Upvote 1

The reason the USB adapter does not power the Variax is that standard USB is limited to 500mA and the Variax uses more than that - and it needs more than 5V.  The battery is 7.2V or so.  You do need the battery to use the USB interface.  If you have a Pod that supports it like the HD500X then you can connect the Variax through the Pod and not need the battery.

Thanks, between the comments here and reading through the Workbench documentation I have it sorted out. I am on the latest firmware now and have been using Workbench with no issues.

• 6 years later...

FYI, I'm running OK with no battery. I'm running my Variax Standard off of a Line6 A/B power supply. TRS to the Variax, 1/4 phone to amp. Then my USB dongle is plugged directly into my Mac, and an ethernet cable is plugged into my VDI jack on the Variax. Everything works without a battery installed: both green LEDs on and Workbench HD functions correctly with the Variax. No problems.