Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Got the new FBV 3 to go with my Amplifi 150

pierremoatti

Hi everyone,

So I go my FBV 3 foot controller to go with my Amplifi 150. It is strong on the build site and grotesquely weak on the documentation side. Thanks Line 6 for putting all the guesswork in our hands. The instructions (all 3 x ½ pages) are about as useless as you can get.

I finally figured out how to change switch banks but still can't figure out how to change the LED colours of the upper row. If anyone has knowledge to share with regards to this setup, please let me know. Thanks everyone.

- JP

I didn't think these were available yet?

Hope you'll let us know how you get on with it.

That is a promise. I may even have to make some sort of Youtube vid to share the missing pieces with everyone. They just start to show them following NAMM 16, I believe.

So far I have figured out that this pedal is in need of new software from Line 6 to unleash its potential. The functionality of color assignment is not available in this iteration. Neither the iOS app or any sequence of switching will enable this. This is quite a disappointment.

As for bank assignment, this is very easy through the remote app and storing it in the Amplifi amp.

Is there no update on the software side then to enable this.

And can I ask you again how you managed to purchase the controller when they are not on sale yet?

I ordered it in early April from the music store I usually by my stuff from - www.cosmomusic.ca. It arrived yesterday and I picked it up.

As for software, there are no updates. The FBV Controller software does not recognize the FBV 3

That's it! "That's all she wrote", as they say. 

I spoke with Line 6 support this morning and was confirmed by a very polite support rep, that the FBV 3 FS LED color selection is currently only working for a Firehawk 1500 configuration. I did mention to him, that this is only a "software thing" and not driven by hardware. I also asked if Line 6 was planning on some new firmware and software releases for the Amplifi/FBV 3 configuration, to which he replied, "All I can tell you is that we are not done with that....". 

This is somewhat encouraging and frustrating at the same time. I will go on the Ideascale site and make some suggestions.

Apart the led lights, how you finding it?

Apart from the "Red Lights", it does EXACTLY what it is supposed to do. I find the tuner portion a bit lame compared to the bluetooth interface on the iOS remote app. It does not really show you whether you are at a ½ stop flat or sharp. Maybe it does but again, the ½ page excuse of a "Pilot's Guide", does not even cover this other than outlining how to access it. The response for changes is great. If I store any tones on my Amplifi 150, the names appear in the proper bank.

Accessing the banks is not even explained in the guide. If you plan on getting an FBV 3, you will need to know that you can "bank up" or "bank down", but you MUST select a A, B, C or D switch in order for the entry to be entered. Again, not explained in the ½ page guide.

I hope this helps.

- JP

Ok thanks, do you have to have the remote app fired up in order to access all the banks and patches on the Amplifi using the FBV3?

Not needed. It picks ups what tones you have saved in your Ampli's 25 x 4 banks. 

2771A08F-94A5-49AD-9E25-E3BB93B4F117_zps

I looked at the FBV3 for my 150...IMO, this seems to be overkill for the AMPLIFi.  Doesn't the FBV Shortboard MKII provide most/all the same functionality - except the different color lights? 

I have a FX100 and the 150, I'll likely get the FBV Express MkII which provides the same level of control as the FX100, which is all I need - access to all the banks/patches, and an expression pedal...unless Line 6 implements my ideascale request to have a line level option on the input of the 150, so I can run my FX100 as a modeler into the 150 as an FRFR speaker.

:)   http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Line-level-input-to-use-AMPLIFi-as-amp-for-other-modelers/820470-23508

Cool!  I hate spending more money than I need to spend (FBV 3 is $50 more than the FBV Shortboard MkII); I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything else functionally...besides the multi-color lights :)

FBV3 if I was going Firehawk...but if I need more than AMPLIFi, I'll save for a Helix ;)

Cool!  I hate spending more money than I need to spend; I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything else functionally...besides the multi-color lights :)

FBV3 if I was going Firehawk...but if I need more than AMPLIFi, I'll save for a Helix ;)

rsm0, as an IT guy, I would say that the FBV Shortboard MkII is a "Sunset product" and Line6 states that it is more geared towards their legacy products. I am convinced that the software will catch up to this products capabilities.

rsm0, as an IT guy, I would say that the FBV Shortboard MkII is a "Sunset product" and Line6 states that it is more geared towards their legacy products. I am convinced that the software will catch up to this products capabilities.

I agree, this is a great point...thanks!

I just like have the newest product if possible, future proof and all that.

But if the light's aren't working properly with the Amplifi, may as well buy the MK2

Gkf9, I would encourage you to "wait see". This is merely a "not-ready-for-primetime" and I strongly believe it will be. The $ difference is quite small. It was $50 Canadian for me so I went with it. The FBV controller app would be nice to have and who's to say, they won;t update that for the FBV 3?

Yeah think you might be right.

Might even go for the Express M11 for now,

Really need something to change presets.

I just got so fed up with fumbling on my iPad or iPhone to switch presets and tone banks. So far really liking this FBV 3.

Well it's not available here yet, so will probably get a good idea by then if it's for me or not?

Really can't understand why the lights won't work with the Amplifi?

It's just software. It will come around. The rest works and that's good for me for now.

Man I can't get it to hardly work at all. I have ti hit the buttons several time with my foot. When I try to get it to scroll It does not navigate very easily. I am trying to get it to work with the spider 4 75w. This is actually the first foot controller i have purchased since I have owned this amp. For the first time I am using the spider 4 edit and my computer will not reconize the amp through the board at all. Is it always that hard to hit a switch on these foot controls?

Well I am new to this I have the spider 4 75w for about a year now. I was planning on getting the mk2 but i got the fbv3 instead. This is actually the first time i got any kind of foot board with amp. But what i am curious about is that it seems that when i hit A B C or D it will mot change when i want it to. it seems like it would just change with one tap. Should I have just gotten the MK2 with the spider 4? The web site i got this from said it was compatible with it too. But It seems like a headache. It really isn't helping me much. Only giving me more frustration. I am honestly struggling to get the pedal  lite to turn green for the wah. I mean it saves to where i save the settings and it reads from what I am controlling on the amp but if i hit any button or try to scroll effects it seems to go haywire. is there a certain touch to this. And I am also a first time spider edit user and its not picking up the amp through the fbv3. All of my driver are up to date on the motherboard. In fact its almost brand new I built the pc myself and everything works great. I am hoping maybe someone can help me with this

Well I am new to this I have the spider 4 75w for about a year now. I was planning on getting the mk2 but i got the fbv3 instead. This is actually the first time i got any kind of foot board with amp. But what i am curious about is that it seems that when i hit A B C or D it will mot change when i want it to. it seems like it would just change with one tap. Should I have just gotten the MK2 with the spider 4? The web site i got this from said it was compatible with it too. But It seems like a headache. It really isn't helping me much. Only giving me more frustration. I am honestly struggling to get the pedal  lite to turn green for the wah. I mean it saves to where i save the settings and it reads from what I am controlling on the amp but if i hit any button or try to scroll effects it seems to go haywire. is there a certain touch to this. And I am also a first time spider edit user and its not picking up the amp through the fbv3. All of my driver are up to date on the motherboard. In fact its almost brand new I built the pc myself and everything works great. I am hoping maybe someone can help me with this

Hey man,

According to the web page, the Spider IV 75 is only compatible with FBV2, FBV Express MkII, FBV Shortboard MkII.

http://line6.com/spider-guitar-amp/compare/

I got 2 of these and neither have worked with my mkii. The volume doesn't turn off completely. The tuner will not work. It takes forever to switch through channels. What am I doing wrong? I've waited for this pedal for a while and I'm so disappointed

I noticed that RSM0 said he might just get an express...Don't.  I made the mistake of getting an express Mkii instead of the Shortboard and all the express does is cycle through the 4 presets and give you the wah/volume.  It's well made, but you still need the Ipad to stay open if you want to change banks and since it takes 3-5 seconds (or at least it does mine!!) to change the actual sound..well it's pretty much useless for anything other than practice.

I haven't gotten the Shortboard or the FBV 3, but if the terrible delay in sound is on the Shortboard it seems silly to buy it, at least if you want to use live for pedal effects or to change the tone.

I noticed that RSM0 said he might just get an express...Don't.  I made the mistake of getting an express Mkii instead of the Shortboard and all the express does is cycle through the 4 presets and give you the wah/volume.  It's well made, but you still need the Ipad to stay open if you want to change banks and since it takes 3-5 seconds (or at least it does mine!!) to change the actual sound..well it's pretty much useless for anything other than practice.

I haven't gotten the Shortboard or the FBV 3, but if the terrible delay in sound is on the Shortboard it seems silly to buy it, at least if you want to use live for pedal effects or to change the tone.

The FBV 3 has NO delay. Gkf9 had posted about a LOOPER function and I suspect that this is related to the amp you use. The Spider has a LOOPER, but I didn't get what kind of amp Gkf9 had.

Guys, I apologize for any trouble you're having with FBV3. I encourage you to reach our support team with a ticket so they address your individual concerns: www.line6.com/support/tickets. 

Feature requests and feedback should go to line6.ideascale.com. Product Management is present there and watching. Thanks.

Guys, I apologize for any trouble you're having with FBV3. I encourage you to reach our support team with a ticket so they address your individual concerns: www.line6.com/support/tickets. 

Feature requests and feedback should go to line6.ideascale.com. Product Management is present there and watching. Thanks.

@Line6Tony, been there, done that. Like I posted, you make great products and force us to guess at how to use them thanks to virtually vapid "Pilot

s Guides". If they were truly "Pilot's Guides", we wouldn't crash so often! When are you going to "get it" and provide better manuals and speedier software and firmware updates?

The FBV 3 guide is about as useless a doc as I have ever read! The Tech Support knows even less about the unit than I do! I had to explain it to him! Granted you have a fair bit of products but you need to work on that KB (knowledgebase).  If it weren't for this community, you guys would be in even more serious trouble.

• Upvote 2

Update:

Line6 posted some new firmware and software updates on May 16. The firmware of the FBV 3 was update to 1.01.00 and the Line6 Control app is now updated to 1.06, covering the FBV 3 pedal. While indicating bug fix and improvement, Line6 continues to baffle it's community of users with a lack of sufficient information. Oh, and one final joke is the FBV 3 "Crash Guide (aka Pilot's Guide), which has been updated with marginally more (but useless) information.