Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No re-amping yet in HD 500x?

jesuscares

I am surprised that there is no re-amping yet in HD 500x! Or am I wrong.The x3 has this capability.Is there any other option apart from send/return to another audio device & get it re-amped?

BTW does the Helix have revamping capability?

You're not wrong. I don't see how the HD will ever get this ability without some sort of external equipment.

Helix does this over USB. Very convenient.

Thanks.If you have links on how to go about with external equipment do send my way.Right now I use a eleven rack which has great revamping capabilities.I can use HD via its send/return.

Thanks.If you have links on how to go about with external equipment do send my way.Right now I use a eleven rack which has great revamping capabilities.I can use HD via its send/return.

Never tried reamping with the HD but it shouldn't be too hard. There's a bunch of videos you can check out here.

Basically, if you have a piece of external equipment that has an spdif input, connect the HD's spdif (can be set to output a dry signal) to that . Once the dry signal is recorded, send that back through the same interface you recorded the dry signal with and then back to the HD, by either physically switching cables on the HD's guitar input, or using the aux input and changing the input on the HD's preset to aux. I suppose the extra interface doesn't necessarily have to have an spdif input but you'd then have to convert the HD's spdif output to something that you can use.

Never tried reamping with the HD but it shouldn't be too hard. There's a bunch of videos you can check out here.

Basically, if you have a piece of external equipment that has an spdif input, connect the HD's spdif (can be set to output a dry signal) to that . Once the dry signal is recorded, send that back through the same interface you recorded the dry signal with and then back to the HD, by either physically switching cables on the HD's guitar input, or using the aux input and changing the input on the HD's preset to aux. I suppose the extra interface doesn't necessarily have to have an spdif input but you'd then have to convert the HD's spdif output to something that you can use.

Wow! Thanks for the big tip.Despite the complications it should still be worth it.I believe when a sound goes directly via HD's USB the quality should be a lot better than sending the sound via xor or 1/4 cables to an interface.Is the spdif cable the same as a regular RCA cable?

From the link you sent I found this vide to be very useful:

I have a question though.Between 1:52 & 2:00 there is a mention of plugging in a jack into the guitar input & another at the output.Can you let me know where these cables are coming from? Are they the output cables coming from the HD or are the originating from the send /return?

Sure appreciate your replies.Thank you.

Wow! Thanks for the big tip.Despite the complications it should still be worth it.I believe when a sound goes directly via HD's USB the quality should be a lot better than sending the sound via xor or 1/4 cables to an interface.Is the spdif cable the same as a regular RCA cable?

From the link you sent I found this vide to be very useful:

I have a question though.Between 1:52 & 2:00 there is a mention of plugging in a jack into the guitar input & another at the output.Can you let me know where these cables are coming from? Are they the output cables coming from the HD or are the originating from the send /return?

Sure appreciate your replies.Thank you.

Welcome. Glad you found something useful in there.

When using the USB it doesn't go through extra converters, so you're right, the quality would be better. Whether or not it's perceivable is another question. When using a cable for SPDIF, it is an RCA cable, but it should be 75 ohms for digital applications.

I think the part at 1:52 shows you how to connect the HD for reamping using only the HD. So it's just one cable, from the 1/4" output (left or right), to the guitar input. The source signal, pre-recorded, comes from the DAW, using the HD's USB audio interface capability I believe.

I'm spoiled by Helix where you don't have to swap cables or change anything except the input for the preset. It's all done over USB.

• 9 months later...

I got to say I have not reamped using the POD HD.

To me reamping is for when you have a great great song worthy of a good studio or someone with some nice amps. I'd have to revert the line out toa level the instrument amp will be expecting.

As dunncan mentioned record the s/pdif dry into your DAW.

Looking at the video a few times before it makes sense to me to try and use the aux in or return on the HD as the line level coming from the DAW has already been thru a preamp on the way in. 

And, as long as we are on a zombie thread... 

I have learned through the years that different tone makes you play differently. Therefore, will never sound good when you try to change the tone.

Of course, I don't re-amp. But on the digital pianos, I have often recorded a line and then thought about what it would sound like with a different voice - it never works out.

And, as long as we are on a zombie thread... 

I have learned through the years that different tone makes you play differently. Therefore, will never sound good when you try to change the tone.

Of course, I don't re-amp. But on the digital pianos, I have often recorded a line and then thought about what it would sound like with a different voice - it never works out.

Can't comment on pianos, only guitar.

This is a good piece of info to be aware of. But only if the tone differences are drastic and if the musical piece requires a lot of intricacy. If you're just standing there mechanically strumming an A chord, what would it matter? Even if the two conditions above are true, reamping is still a useful tool to give you an idea if something different floats your boat.

True. The pianos are different because they are using completely different samples. Which is different than slightly tweaking an eq or something. 

A 9 foot concert grand in a concert hall is going to sound different than the old beat up spinet that sits in your grandmothers house ==> and, yes, old beat up spinets with broken soundboards and out of tune strings, they are sampled and put in those units.  

If someone is stuck at the "tone creation" phase, there is a 40-second sampler/looper. 

But it is, to me, still going to be the same result. Playing an 8 bar blues/rock progression to hear tone, is going to sound way different once you start to play the Mistress Gaga version of Moth to a Flame.