Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix through a Roland JC-40

pangloss9

Folks,

I just got my hands on a Helix and I'm extremely impressed so far. Nonetheless, I'm trying to figure out how to use the unit in a live situation. I know most folks will instantly say a set of FRFR speakers is the way to go but they are pricey and I'm looking at other avenues.

Has anyone tried using a Roland JC 40 with a Helix? The JC 40 has true stereo...two inputs and 2x10 speakers. http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-40/

The Roland JC amps are general known for being extremely clean and neutral. I wonder if they would produce results similar to the Tech 21 PowerEngine...another amp which seems to work well with the Helix.

Thanks,

--Pangloss

The JC-40 looks like a nice little amp and should give a pretty decent sound.

But 40 watts (solid state) is not very powerful.. I wonder if it will cope with loud band scenarios?

The speakers in the JC-40 will not be Full response, so acoustic guitar might not sound great - but if you're just using electric you should be ok.

Also a pair of cheap monitors like the Alto TS210s look to be £100 cheaper than the JC-40 at UK prices.

A second on the Altos or how about a used Fender Mustang iv - direct to the power amp in.  Cheap, stereo, 150 watts and the Mustang isn't too bad by itself as a backup.  

You can also get the mono iii version for about $250 used.

• 3 months later...

I ended up buying a Roland JC 40 and it's surprisingly loud and clean...all the way up too. I've played it with other musicians in a band setting and it definitely has enough volume to hold its own...I think the Roland speakers are extremely efficient and this is responsible for the prodigious output. It should be fine for a small gig.

One thing I've experimented with is running the line out on the back of the amp to my Mission Engineering Gemini 1...100 class D solid state watts, 1x12" FRFR speaker. This combination (2x10" stereo and 1x12" mono) works stunningly well and if I ever get into a situation where I need a bigger punch, that setup will surely suffice. 

As far as running the Helix goes, I believe the JC 40 might be one of the best neutral guitar amps around. While I sold my Helix and moved to a Fractal Axe FX II XL+, I can say that this amp works better than any I've encountered with a modeling rig. It reproduces sounds more faithfully, especially cab/IR sims. Much to my delight the IR's sound much more authentic running through the JC 40 than any of my other cabinets. In fact, this was the reason why I decided to try this amp...I wasn't totally pleased with the sound of straight FRFR speakers in a live setting. There was just something missing...mainly that punch to the solar plexus only a real guitar cabinet kicks out. The Roland JC 40 brought that punch back AND maintains my tone very nicely.

All that said, if Roland does come out with an 80+ watts, 2x12" version of this amp, including all the unique features like a true stereo input and stereo line out, I might be tempted to buy it but I'd still keep my JC 40 as well. It's perfect for home use and recording. 

• 2 months later...