Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume control question

johnfrancis

I'm brand new to the POD HD500X, but so far enjoying the different tonal options available. I am having a hard time understanding the options that control overall volume (I'm running into a Tech 21 Power Engine 60) and not getting big volume changes when I switch patches. Effects aside, I can see that most amp models have drive and master volume controls - and there is the Master Volume control on the unit itself.

Are there any other controls that affect amp volume?

How should I set Master Volume on the unit when I'm programming patches? At maximum or, say, halfway to allow for volume increases at stage volumes?

Does anyone have some tips on keeping volume constant between patches?

Generally speaking, I keep the POD master volume on my unit around 50%.  As I build a patch I use the amp model's volume control (along with the drive which also has an effect on volume) to target a specific, measured volume level using a sound meter of around 80db.  Each of the amp models is different in terms of how they respond to a combination of drive and amp volume, and in some cases I have to rely on the mixer block volume to reach my target of 80db.  In that way all of my patches are at the same relative volume, and the only thing I need to change to adapt to a venue is my master volume on the unit.

But I'm unclear about your statement about "not getting big volume changes" when you switch patches.  Typically that's exactly what you want.  Or am I not understanding something?

I do not do the "max volume" as suggested in the manual. 

How to set the Master Volume of the unit: 

Because the MP3 jack is not controlled by the Master Volume knob, I plug in my MP3 player. I set my player to the same volume every time. I play the same song every time. 

I created a patch. I use that patch every time. I play guitar and turn the Master Volume knob to the point where my playing matches what is playing on the MP3.

It may not be the best way, but it is my way. And it works for me.

That way I always have that 'baseline' to compare everything to. 

There is no "volume leveler" between patches. You just have to manually adjust the patch volumes. That, to me, is why having my baseline is important. Sometimes I want the patches to be the same volume, sometimes I want them to be different. Always having that one constant is a good place to start. 

• Upvote 1

Are there any other controls that affect amp volume?

How should I set Master Volume on the unit when I'm programming patches? At maximum or, say, halfway to allow for volume increases at stage volumes?

First and foremost, you need to level your patches at the volumes you intend to use them (within reason...there's always some wiggle room). Any patch at bedroom volume vs. stage volume is not going to sound the same.

After that, it's mostly the mixer block and the channel volume within each patch that you'll be using to level things out.

Some models are louder than others for reasons unknown, so the channel volume alone isn't always sufficient, sometimes you'll need to boost from the mixer block as well.

As for the POD's physical master volume knob, you don't really want to max that out. You need headroom somewhere. Good rule of thumb is to set the master volume on your final output device (studio monitors, FRFR speaker, amp, etc) around noon, and use the master volume on the POD for quick +/- adjustments.

Thanks guys - very helpful. I was confused by the manual saying that you should have Master Vol on max. That seemed to defeat the purpose of having a master volume.

DunedinDragon - I play in a church band and need to switch tones sometimes quite dramatically from song to song. Having a big drop or raise in volume is a problem.

I only just learned about setting Inputs 1 and 2 to be different. I had them set to Same.

Never made any sense to me either...

That's exactly how I do it. But I have a cheap hardware volume pedal between my POD and my FRFR-monitor to adjust my personal monitor-level without changing FOH-volume when playing live.

I like having my Master Volume at around 3 o clock. Id rather keep my FRFR speaker volume as low as I can or else the hiss from the speaker will be too overbearing to me. I typically use the channel volume to adjust volumes throughout the presets and adjust the mixer levels only if I really need to (Jazz Rivet, anybody?).

I really like Smaash's idea with the volume pedal, although I'm a minimalist and get by fine without external pedals.

I really like Smaash's idea with the volume pedal, although I'm a minimalist and get by fine without external pedals.

It's cheap, made of plastic and passive, so no big deal in any way, neither in costs, weight nor cables :)

Generally speaking, I keep the POD master volume on my unit around 50%.  As I build a patch I use the amp model's volume control (along with the drive which also has an effect on volume) to target a specific, measured volume level using a sound meter of around 80db.  Each of the amp models is different in terms of how they respond to a combination of drive and amp volume, and in some cases I have to rely on the mixer block volume to reach my target of 80db.  In that way all of my patches are at the same relative volume, and the only thing I need to change to adapt to a venue is my master volume on the unit.

+1

I picked up a radio shack db meter for $50, and it's saved me a ton of time and headaches when setting up patches. I use pretty much the same method, except my master is set to about 75%, and my db is based around whatever my initial reading is. Since all of my patches for live are mono, I set the meter about a foot away from one of my Presonus studio monitors.  I take the db reading from my primary clean and dirty patches, then use that as a reference point. 

DunedinDragon - I play in a church band and need to switch tones sometimes quite dramatically from song to song. Having a big drop or raise in volume is a problem.

Sorry, I just misread that.  I thought you were saying you weren't getting big changes in volume and that you needed to have them...

I also play in a church band as well, and that's why I use the sound meter to measure each patch.  As you well know, most churches don't have terribly proficient sound men running the board, so I try to do everything I can to make their jobs easy.  That's the only way I can make sure I'm at a stable volume each week regardless of the patches I'm using.

to clarify on the manual info a bit:  the "Master Volume at 100%" is referring to the hardware master volume output, which will ensure that you are giving your powered speaker (or console) the best signal to noise ratio.  this is how I run my HD500 and have always had good results.

when it comes to the modeled power amp - that is going to be up to the sound you are going for.  Marshalls are often very strong, but some other amps (i.e. Fender) may not give the tone you are looking for with the MV at full.  some artists (i.e. BB King to Eric Clapton to the Sex pistols) have used Fenders with a cranked master volume with great results,  but if you are going for old school clean country try setting the MV lower. 

for those who are interested - you can check out the current published documentation to see the gear that some artists used on classic recordings, you may be surprised at what was used!  www.line6.com/tonetemplates. 

...How should I set Master Volume on the unit when I'm programming patches? At maximum or, say, halfway to allow for volume increases at stage volumes?...

If you ever decide to go direct to PA, I suggest Master Volume around 2 o'clock (roughly %70). That way it's enough for the board, but not too much in case the board can't handle it (which I've had happen at some clubs). Relative patch volume is handled through Level or other boost blocks in the signal chain.