Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

More recording w/ HELIX

electricfactory

Had my first real crash in Helix yesterday. It still processed sound normally, but the whole UI was completely unresponsive, footswitches and other controls. Rebooted and it was fine, though it didn't remember the patch I was on like it usually does. I was in the models list, choosing a different effect for an existing block, like I've done a million times before and since without problems.

Is this a thing?

Since I wouldn't expect to be editing much live, it's not a huge concern, but it's a tad worrisome. And just to be clear, outside of that one time, Helix has been completely stable for me.

That is killer! Just excellent.

Just mixed this, recorded almost entirely w/ HELIX[ the guitars+bass anyway] for an upcoming HBO doc in production now. I can't mention the production specifically but will post a link to it when they broadcast..

https://soundcloud.com/jonbutcher/brontosaurus-mx-4-28

• Upvote 3

Really awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Would you be willing to share your patch for it? I'd love to see how you put it together. I'm just a rank amateur by comparison, but I love that tone and would love to pick up some tips from it, if you are able to share it and so inclined.

Thanks! And best of luck on your HBO project, I don't know what the production is about, but I'm confident the soundtrack will be incredible. :-)

Really awesome, thanks for sharing that!

Would you be willing to share your patch for it? I'd love to see how you put it together. I'm just a rank amateur by comparison, but I love that tone and would love to pick up some tips from it, if you are able to share it and so inclined.

Thanks! And best of luck on your HBO project, I don't know what the production is about, but I'm confident the soundtrack will be incredible. :-)

Thanks bsd512, attached below are a few pics pretty much detailing the signal paths of two primary patches, clean-ish ala Hendrix '68 guitar tones and the more Jimmy Page-like agressive tones, presets named BRONTOSAURUS and BRONTOSAURUS 2.

I went via HELIX XLR direct to ProTools, though I did use some real tube compression on some of the gtr tracks. Most of the whale-pod sounds I emulated with a vol pedal and physically slowing down the tape on an Echoplex I also used. I used a  MESA cab IR that I downloaded from somewhere [ maybe 3D], really makes a difference in this application.

I'll post a pedals breakdown if anyone is interested, guitar was a '63 Stratocaster.

FullSizeRender_zpsdc8c0v9g.jpg

FullSizeRender%204_zpsjcdtl9pt.jpg

FullSizeRender%202_zps2sdq2saw.jpg

FullSizeRender%203_zpshpjgcf4o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Awesome! What connections did you use? I have Pro Tools. I was wondering if XLRs the best way?

Thanks artmapa, I XLR'd out of the HELIX although I know a lot of guys are using the 1/4" outputs for live.

For me this is almost exclusively a studio tool, most often when time constraints make cab mic-ing and guitar sound crafting impractical. It dosen't always happen that way but when I'm pressed HELIX has so far proven to be a pretty terrific tool.

Just mixed this, recorded almost entirely w/ HELIX[ the guitars+bass anyway] for an upcoming HBO doc in production now. I can't mention the production specifically but will post a link to it when they broadcast..

https://soundcloud.com/jonbutcher/brontosaurus-mx-4-28

Superb! Without a doubt one of the best things I have heard posted on this forum.  Hendrix flavored, rockin' awesomeness!

Well hells bells... I've not heard the name Jon Butcher in a while. Saw The Jon Butcher Axis back in the early '80s when I was in High School... BLOWN AWAY! monster player.. Now I gotta dig through all his stuff I missed and give him another listen.

Well hells bells... I've not heard the name Jon Butcher in a while. Saw The Jon Butcher Axis back in the early '80s when I was in High School... BLOWN AWAY! monster player.. Now I gotta dig through all his stuff I missed and give him another listen.

HA, they'll apparently let anybody in here! And speaking of AXIS, go to SoundCloud, iTunes or whatever when you're sittin' around chilling. Check out my EXPERIENCED! Cd for a total hoot,  some of my personal fav Hendrix lesser knowns [ lesser known to those of us not brought up on JH anyway]. Check it out let me know what you think! 

HA, they'll apparently let anybody in here! And speaking of AXIS, go to SoundCloud, iTunes or whatever when you're sittin' around chilling. Check out my EXPERIENCED! Cd for a total hoot,  some of my personal fav Hendrix lesser knowns [ lesser known to those of us not brought up on JH anyway]. Check it out let me know what you think! 

Will do... I see you are doing appearances with the Experience Hendrix tour... I caught that show 2 years ago in Peoria, IL ... what a great time.. I was particularly impressed Doyle Bramhall Jr. and Eric Gales.... That show also made wake up and notice Johnny Lang again too... wow good player and what a Singer....