Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Controlling Helix Volume With Variax Question

kts222555111000

Hello all

I play my Helix on a Variax guitar, the JTV89F. I play classic rock covers and have the Helix set up with 2, 3 or 4 presets per song. I'm currently using the built in expression pedal as an output volume control and everything works fine. What I would like to do is free up the expression for other things (I know that the expression pedal is really 2 pedals in one but it is problematic when using the toe switch as it can affect the volume before and after the change).

I have experimented with using the volume control on the Variax to control the volume block output but can't find a way to do that in a global way like you can with the built in expression pedal. I currently have the Variax tone and volume controls saved in each preset as I try to keep on stage adjustments to a minimum.

The question is, is there a way to control the output volume of the Helix with the Variax volume knob that carries over from patch to patch?

Hello all

I play my Helix on a Variax guitar, the JTV89F. I play classic rock covers and have the Helix set up with 2, 3 or 4 presets per song.

Have you tried setting up one patch per song and turn the FX you need on and off instead? Might work better.

The question is, is there a way to control the output volume of the Helix with the Variax volume knob that carries over from patch to patch?

If you have it set up with every patch, you can change the behavior to "global" in global parameters (don't have my helix right here to see where that is) and when you go to a new patch, the volume is set to where you have the knob.

I get what you are saying about one patch per song, and I could certainly do it on some songs, but I play more or less exclusively using Varaix modelling and also have different tunings within songs which it isn't currently possible to manage within one preset.

As for your second point, if that works that would be ideal if the variax volume knob only affected the Helix output volume and not the actual guitar output volume (which might be set to eg 50% for the sound required for that particular patch). Do you know if that is the case?

I get what you are saying about one patch per song, and I could certainly do it on some songs, but I play more or less exclusively using Varaix modelling and also have different tunings within songs which it isn't currently possible to manage within one preset.

As for your second point, if that works that would be ideal if the variax volume knob only affected the Helix output volume and not the actual guitar output volume (which might be set to eg 50% for the sound required for that particular patch). Do you know if that is the case?

Ah... I don't know about that second point. Let us know what you find out, though!

You could of course just get an external Expression pedal and plug it into Exp 3 or Exp 2 and use that dedicated for volume - it's what I do with my HD500. 

The only issue you might have is with the Expression position not being read and patches defaulting to their saved values rather than accepting the current Expression positions, but if you have it all working with Exp 1 (built in) then you have that part sorted already.

You could try using Workbench to create the models and alternate tunings you need for a single song, and then store them in the same bank in your Variax. In other words, you stay in the same Helix preset for the song and use your Variax pickup selector switch rather than Helix to control the multiple model selections and tunings.

You could try using Workbench to create the models and alternate tunings you need for a single song, and then store them in the same bank in your Variax. In other words, you stay in the same Helix preset for the song and use your Variax pickup selector switch rather than Helix to control the multiple model selections and tunings.

Really? I had not thought of this. That will solve a problem for me for sure. It is possible to have the toggle switch on my JTV50 not only change the model from Lester 1 and Engl model to Sitar and clean at the same time? controlling no only the guitar model but the amp model as well?

Workbench Variax models will not control anything in the Helix device. It will simply get you around the barrier of only being able to select a single Variax model and tuning in any Helix preset. You simply transfer that part of your control to the Variax. You will still need to control the change from your Engl to your clean amp in the Helix preset by using a dual-path/amp setup with appropriate footswitch or pedal controllers.

For instance, suppose you have preset 1A set up as above so that you can switch amp sounds within the same preset. You can use the Helix to select Variax model Custom-1 in the preset so that's your starting point. Set the Alternate Tuning in the preset to Don't Force (not Custom).

Use Workbench to create a model that uses Lester-1 and applies alternate tuning if desired. Store this model in the Custom-1 slot in your Variax. Then use Workbench to create your desired Sitar model, again with optional alternate tuning. Store this model in Custom-2 on your Variax. Finally, make sure your Variax Tuning Selector knob is in the Model position.

Now while playing when you select Helix Preset 1A your alternately tuned Lester-1 model in Custom-1 is also selected. While remaining in preset 1A, when you want to go clean/Sitar you use your Helix controller to get the clean amp sound and you set your Variax pickup selector to position 2. The Variax will remain in the Custom-1 bank while you select any of the 5 stored Variax models in that bank, each of which can have its own custom tuning as prescribed in Workbench.