Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Firmware update??

mjorden

I think an updated editor is getting close to release, and that will likely involve a compatible firmware update. I don't know that the firmware itself will change much - editor compatibility is mostly invisible. Probably some bug fixes and maybe some minor enhancements.

FW 1.12 adds nothing but support for the feature complete (customize footswitches, copy/paste blocks, comprehensive keyboard shortcuts) 1.12 Helix editor and bug fixes. Both were supposed to drop today at noon, but we found a bug literally at 11:59am. So probably tomorrow.

Once that's done, we'll merge the new feature FW with the existing feature FW and'll see what blows up. Hopefully not much.

• Upvote 4

FW 1.12 adds nothing but support for the feature complete (customize footswitches, copy/paste blocks, comprehensive keyboard shortcuts) 1.12 Helix editor and bug fixes. Both were supposed to drop today at noon, but we found a bug literally at 11:59am. So probably tomorrow.

Once that's done, we'll merge the new feature FW with the existing feature FW and'll see what blows up. Hopefully not much.

Good news anyway

So Feature complete, am I to understand that to mean what we have in the Helix it what we are getting. I have no problem with that for the immediate future but I really hope that does not mean over the corse of the next year we will get no added features, that would be a real let down. Considering other companies have continued to update there product every so often with some kind of enhancements I would hope line6 would do the same since now they have a product that seems to be on par if not better in some ways from the competition.

So Feature complete, am I to understand that to mean what we have in the Helix it what we are getting. I have no problem with that for the immediate future but I really hope that does not mean over the corse of the next year we will get no added features, that would be a real let down. Considering other companies have continued to update there product every so often with some kind of enhancements I would hope line6 would do the same since now they have a product that seems to be on par if not better in some ways from the competition.

by "feature complete" I think we're talking about the editor. They've hinted at stuff they want to do, and have been modeling amps we don't know about yet... there's definitely more coming. The Editor was front burner till it got out of beta, now it will be out... bring on the rest!

Just means the editor will no longer be beta... Plenty of good stuff in store for the Helix yet.

• Upvote 1

Ok, we all love the free upgrades, from the editor to new amps and effects. But let's give something back to Line 6. Tell your band mates and friends, Facebook followers, Twitter. Let's spread the wealth and help Line 6 sell some more Helix units. That's how we help generate new feature opportunities. I see this as a demand/supply collaboration, we have a part too.

• Upvote 5

Ok, we all love the free upgrades, from the editor to new amps and effects. But let's give something back to Line 6. Tell your band mates and friends, Facebook followers, Twitter. Let's spread the wealth and help Line 6 sell some more Helix units. That's how we help generate new feature opportunities. I see this as a demand/supply collaboration, we have a part too.

I've been on a waiting list for a couple of weeks and they're still out of stock (the floor unit). I did, however, found another online retailer that had a couple in stock so I grabbed it. I have a feeling they're in demand. Had mine for a week now and still loving it.

I'm very impressed with what the folks at Line 6 produced. They deserve awards for this unit. Bravo!

The term "Stupid Fun" was used to describe the next Helix  FW update, so I imagine it will be more than just an editor update to a non-beta version.

-Max

The next update will simply be the non-beta editor and bug fixes and stuff associated with that. Subsequent firmware releases are when the real fun starts...

I think the thing that needs to be addressed here is that its being worked on, and we are being informed of this! Its NOT being mothballed or replaced at this point in time as far as I can tell. Again, we are being told that they (Line-6) are fixing and adding to the Helix toy box, and FWIW for Line 6 to give out "any" information like this beforehand is a miracle in itself. Thats REALLY important to understand at this point. +1000 L6!

Sure,  we are all excited about what is to come, but please have patience. The  "I want everything yesterday attitude" won't get you anything but frustration. I know because Im guilty of that myself. And in the mean time, do what amsdenj stated, TELL people just how great Helix sounds. 

• Upvote 3

The next update will simply be the non-beta editor and bug fixes and stuff associated with that. Subsequent firmware releases are when the real fun starts...

Jeez, you guys are really on the ball, I have already posted on this forum about this "update" a couple of days back!

"Beta" not be just an Editor update.

I've spent the last 2 months on this forum, ranting and raving about my own personal MIDI hell.

Plus, as we all know "Digital_Igloo" doesn't like rumours on here because, he says that "Misinformation spreads on the internet like wildfire."

But, I recently had confirmation from Tech Support that a solution for MIDI was under development and "DI" also speculated that it would be in the next Flash Memory Firmware Upgrade!

Some of us, and the readers of The Gear Page understood, from Digital_Igloo's posts, that may well be within the this week!

Let's hope it's true and then I can get back to my real life.

I'll bet some people will be more than a little unhappy if all they get is a tech fix for MIDI and the tuner accuracy/granularity thing sorted out, but no custom amps in the next Flash Memory FW patch.

WOW! Wait for it to hit the fan!

Hope you have all downloaded and installed the latest Line 6 Updater 1.09 by now.

I find it's good to take a little break from here a few days at a time and then come back and see that a couple things have been done and am most of the time pleasantly surprised, so take a few days off and come back and you will see it's good to get away and hey maybe what you been waiting for will be here for you.

Well "DI" for my part, I have to say, your comment "FW 1.12 adds nothing", unfortunately, turned out to be correct!

I did all the upgrades as usual, added the L6 custom OS X driver, factory reset Helix back to box fresh and ran all my test configurations again but still, I can only get a stereo, fully processed signal from Helix into Logic on Chl 1&2. Channels 3 through 8 appear on the inputs as stereo pairs, but carry no audio signal! Why, oh why does the Mac AMS application show Helix as 4 Audio Streams and not 8 discreet in/out? Nobody has given me an answer to that one! Audio output from Logic, GarageBand, Reaper, ProTools, UTube, iTunes etc. is perfect. I cannot get an unprocessed mono or stereo sound, that I can re-amp, into the Mac This is exactly the situation I had before - absolutely no change there!

As for the MIDI issue - seems that it went one step forward and 2 back. I hooked up the PC-180A to Helix on the DIN socket, select a soft synth in Logic, hit a chord and "BINGO" sound emerges! Hit another note - nothing, once more - no. Hit another note and "Yay!" it works. Now it doesn't, now it does, now it doesn't! I think, unlike the MIDI, you get the message? Once more, running MIDI Monitor software reveals the same "Active Sense" messages which vanish (stop) when MIDI Thru is turned off in Helix. Trouble is, MIDI Thru is what passes the data from the controller keyboard output to the DAW input. As I previously stated in another thread, I fixed the MIDI problem by using a $5 (£3.50) Chinese MIDI to USB cable from the Roland PC-180A to the Retina iMac. This takes Helix out of the picture as far as MIDI is concerned, although as it stands, that is now a redundant and useless feature on the back of a very expensive box.

So, you want to "see what blows up?"

Well that would be ME, as opposed to, "hopefully not much!"

As far as I'm concerned this whole debacle is one big SNAFU!

This madness has gone on far too long!