Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Grid for getting rid of the preset rebuild messages on boot in latest firmware (1.12.0)

HonestOpinion

I am still getting the rebuild preset messages when I boot up the Helix with the latest firmware 1.12.0. A minor inconvenience but if you are obsessing over it or want to regain a few nanoseconds of your life you can use the grid I included below to tell you which setlist & preset you are seeing during the bootup process when you see a message like "rebuilding 501" and easily fix it. If you prefer, I designed the spreadsheet with a calculation box where you can just enter in the number you are seeing during the boot and the spreadsheet will return the setlist & preset number/letter. Just select & save that preset and the message for that preset should go away next time you reboot. Not a big deal but it is nice not to see those rebuilding messages any more.

The preset numbers showing on bootup start at "0" so the grid does as well (L6 numbers the presets from 0-1023). There are 8 setlists on the Helix with "Factory 1" corresponding to "Setlist" 1, thru to "Templates" which corresponds to "Setlist" 8 in the grid. You will need to save the preset indicated by "Bank/FS" in the corresponding "Setlist".  I am making it sound more complicated than it is, if you download the Excel sheet it will be self-explanatory.

UPDATE: I noticed that if you modify any parameter on the "fixed" preset no matter how minutely and save it again. The crashing behavior both on startup and when you switch to the preset while using the editor is fixed. Se here is my conclusion. There is a workaround for now but this is definitely a strange bug which I hope gets addressed.

Workaround: If you fix any of these presets affected by the "rebuilding..." message by saving them (which causes the rebuilding message to go away) make sure you edit at least one parameter on one of the blocks and save the preset again. It does not matter how small the change is. This will prevent the editor from either not starting or crashing when that preset is selected.

Helix Preset Number To Bank Conversion (Share).xls

• Upvote 1

I am still getting the rebuild preset messages when I boot up the Helix with the latest firmware 1.12.0. A minor inconvenience but if you obsessing over it or want to regain a few nanoseconds of your life you can use the grid I included below to tell you which setlist & preset you are seeing during the bootup process when you see a message like "rebuilding 501" and easily fix it. If you prefer, I designed the spreadsheet with a calculation box where you can just enter in the number you are seeing during the boot and the spreadsheet will return the setlist & preset number/letter. Just select & save that preset and the message for that preset should go away next time you reboot. Not a big deal but it is nice not to see those rebuilding messages any more.

The preset numbers showing on bootup start at "0" so the grid does as well (L6 numbers the presets from 0-1023). There are 8 setlists on the Helix with "Factory 1" corresponding to "Setlist" 1, thru to "Templates" which corresponds to "Setlist" 8 in the grid. You will need to save the preset indicated by "Bank/FS" in the corresponding "Setlist".  I am making it sound more complicated than it is, if you download the Excel sheet it will be self-explanatory.

Thanks!

Saw your post a little bit later.

I use the continious numbers anyway, so I don't need your 'transformation sheet'.

BUT: Why should we do this? Isn't this something L6 should improve?

Thanks!

Saw your post a little bit later.

I use the continious numbers anyway, so I don't need your 'transformation sheet'.

BUT: Why should we do this? Isn't this something L6 should improve?

Yes, surprised this bug keeps kicking around from version to version, this should be easy for them to remedy in future firmware. Thankfully it is an extremely low impact issue.

Is this a bug?!

It would be simply helpful to know what's goin' on ;)

...message from the the Engineering team:

“Rebuilding†is simply “cachingâ€.

Uncached presets are detected and cached on start-up.

This ensures peak performance.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!

Saving a preset that gets the rebuilding message can prevent the editor from coming up if it is already selected on the Helix when you try to start the editor. It can also crash the editor when you select the affected preset while the editor is already running. I think Klangmaler's question about the status of this bug(?) has turned out to be incredibly significant. Please read the bug I am encountering below before attempting to save/fix any of the presets that are getting the "rebuilding" message. I think the "rebuilding" message is actually a real bug and one that causes serious problems with the editor if you save the affected preset. This certainly does not appear to just be a caching issue as the engineering team explained it. If the affected preset is saved it then becomes a genuine bug and has significant impact! I did however find a simple workaround that still allows you to get rid of the rebuild message and not impact the editor. The workaround is at the bottom of this post.

I have already saved all of my "rebuild" message affected presets. If anyone still has any could they please run the test below on them with ones they have not "fixed" by saving to see if they also crash the editor or prevent it from coming up. I am also curious if the same behavior occurs on Mac PCs. Mine is Windows 10.

Firmware 1.12.0

Editor 1.12.0

Bug: Presets that have been saved to prevent the "rebuilding preset #" message when you boot the Helix can not only crash the editor when selected, they can also actually prevent the editor from starting up if the affected preset is already selected on the Helix when you start the Editor.

Test Procedure:

• Save one of the presets causing the "rebuild preset" message upon boot such that it no longer appears on bootup.
  • Restart the Helix.
  • Select the preset that you "fixed" with a save.
  • Now try to start the Helix Editor. The Helix editor will not start at all if you have the "fixed" preset selected on the Helix when you try to start the Editor.
  • Select any of your unaffected presets and restart the Editor and it should start up correctly.
  • I also found that if you start the Helix editor successfully with any of your other presets, and then switch to one of the saved presets you were getting the "rebuild" message on, it will consistently crash the editor.
  • I can also replicate the crashing editor issue by simply copying the "fixed" preset to any other preset location. If I select the newly saved preset the Editor will not start. If I start the editor on a working preset and switch to the copy of the problem preset it will crash the editor.

UPDATE: I noticed that if you modify any parameter on the "fixed" preset no matter how minutely and save it again. The crashing behavior both on startup and when you switch to the preset is fixed. Se here is my conclusion. There is a workaround for now but this is definitely a strange bug which I hope gets addressed.

Workaround: If you fix any of these presets affected by the "rebuilding..." message by saving them (which causes the rebuilding message to go away) make sure you edit at least one parameter on one of the blocks and save the preset again. It does not matter how small the change is. This will prevent the editor from either not starting or crashing when that preset is selected.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!!!

(...well... seems we meet in confidence again ;))

All right, this is what I assume right now:

The rebuilding messages hint 'indeed' on something that should be adjusted / adapted /rebuild.

I found out, that the reset options offer a rebuilding process for all tones / presets.

If you press buttons 10 & 11 while booting, every preset will be upgraded / (rebuild) for the latest firmware

(found this here http://helixhelp.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.ResetOptions )

I did that and there was only one (!) preset left that had that good ol' rebuilding message during the next bootup -

which then was simple to solve manually...

Until now, I had no crashes of the editor, but:

I followed your advice to change 'just a bit' of the remaining preset before saving it (and I'm on Win7).

So... it would still be kind of the L6 technical crew to comment on this.

The 'caching' information was apparently given in passing...

I have found an interesting brute force solution for this.

I just erase the preset (copy a new blank one over) and start again from scratch.

It seems like a lot of work, but I find that when I make a preset, nuke it, and make it again, I do a better job the second time anyway.

• Upvote 1

I just erase the preset (copy a new blank one over) and start again from scratch.

It seems like a lot of work, but I find that when I make a preset, nuke it, and make it again, I do a better job the second time anyway.

Sorry, but that's exactly not what I intended (although a second trial sometimes isn't bad 'per se', of course ;) ),

because even downloaded and bought presets are affected by this problem...

Trying to summarize:

Booting up the helix, messages like 'rebuilding preset' occur.

They don't take long, so additional milliseconds shouldn't be the point.

But: What and why must be something rebuild -

and what does it mean if the next time Helix reboots and the messages are still there?

Additionally, Honest Opinion reports crashes of the editor depending on 'rebuilded and saved' presets.

So far L6 stated elsewhere, that

“Rebuilding†is simply “cachingâ€.

Uncached presets are detected and cached on start-up. This ensures peak performance.

I doubt that it is "simply caching"; I think that presets obviously have to be transformed ('rebuild'),

so that they work with a new firmware fluently.

So the 'problem' is highly likely (ta-dah!) the upgrade to the new firmware(s).

I had a certain success with pressing FS 10&11 during bootup -

Then everybody should get that message - and that's it ;)

Yep, recreating from scratch would have been my alternate goto strategy, and I bet that does often result in a more refined sound. However, it seems it is not necessary to do an entire rebuild of the preset. Any minor modification and save to the preset seems to fix the issue. However a save alone is not sufficient, you must change a parameter setting first.

Yep, recreating from scratch would have been my alternate goto strategy, and I bet that does often result in a more refined sound. However, it seems it is not necessary to do an entire rebuild of the preset. Any minor modification and save to the preset seems to fix the issue. However a save alone is not sufficient, you must change a setting first.

I have experienced that, but not every time.