Sign in to follow this  
thomaswhudson

Hd500x to focusrite, best way to record?

First let me tell you my setup. I have a hd500x, dt25 combo, focusrite 18i8, behringer ultragain digital  ADA8200 mic pre and Reaper. What is the best way to get great tones into Reaper from the hd500x. I tried using the balanced left and right out of the HD but the signal was wayyyyyyy low. The best i have come up with is run a USB and mono unbalanced out into the focusrite. Is there a better way ? Should i be running left and right to the focusrite? Suggestions? 

Could running spdif to my sound card be the solution? I have never done that but i read about it somewhere. I am really surprised there is not some type of white paper on optimal setup to sound cards from the HD500x. 

I use SPDIF and love it. I believe it gives you the cleanest signal since the signal only goes thru one conversion process.

I have been using the balanced XLR outs into the 1 & 2 channels on my Focusrite Scarlett for 2-3 years now. No level issues at all. On the contrary, it's very easy for me to make it too hot and activate the red loop on the Scarlett inputs.

I use a single XLR and can easily clip my interface and daw. Crank your master volume on the pod