Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

'Compare' function between stored tone & modified tone?

farrellk

Has there been any talk or discussion about adding 'Compare' functionality on the Helix, whereby you can commence tweaking a stored preset, and go back and forth between the modified preset and the stored preset?  That would really be an advantage when editing - especially when tweaking IR's and then comparing.  Is there some way to achieve this now?

Also - I've seen discussion about having presets for effects blocks.  My simple way around this is to store my favorite settings as individual blocks in a scratch-pad source preset, and then just copy the block from that preset to the preset that I'm working on.  Not pretty or elegant, but maybe a smidgen faster than manually manipulating every parameter. I store the go-to blocks in a few scratch presets that I can get to quickly. I then use the Copy Block and Paste Block functionality to Copy a block from a scratch preset, and then Paste it into the preset I'm working on.  If I'm working in a different Bank, I just copy my scratch presets to the bank I'm working in.

My old Digitech pedal had a compare function... I loved it.

For now I just send 2 copies of the patch I want to modify side by side, modify and save one of them,  then play them both to see if I'm heading in the right direction, resave the final one I want back to the original location.

I like your effect block scratch pad idea... gonna have to do that!

• Upvote 1

All functional workarounds, more 'want' than must - just many extra button pushes and creativity pitstops.  If I recall, at least SOME L6 products had compare functionality - my original Axsys 212 did. My old Digitech and Roland VG stuff had the ability Compare.  Extremely useful to go back and forth while building a patch.

To create a 'compare' function:

- copy the original preset to a new destination

- add a looper in pre-postion to both presets

- edit the new preset as desired

- record a loop using either preset

- start loop playback

- switch back and forth between the two presets to compare them

To create a 'compare' function:

- copy the original preset to a new destination

- add a looper in pre-postion to both presets

- edit the new preset as desired

- record a loop using either preset

- start loop playback

- switch back and forth between the two presets to compare them

That's helpful when tweaking a pre-set. Not really helpful when comparing, because you have to hit 'SAVE' prior to switching to switching presets, making the tweaks in that preset permanent.

Please upvote this: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Edit-Compare/820832-23508

From my comment there:

This would be a great addition, wished for it many times.

For me, working on a patch is a process of evolution. You create something, then come back to it later with fresh ears, put it in perspective with your other tones, add more features, etc.. It'd super helpful to have a quick way to compare to the original during this process. Yes of course you can save a copy, but the point is to check if the new version is WORTH saving. Most of Helix is so fluid to work with, this functionality just makes sense for it especially.

• Upvote 2

Please upvote this: http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Edit-Compare/820832-23508

From my comment there:

This would be a great addition, wished for it many times.

For me, working on a patch is a process of evolution. You create something, then come back to it later with fresh ears, put it in perspective with your other tones, add more features, etc.. It'd super helpful to have a quick way to compare to the original during this process. Yes of course you can save a copy, but the point is to check if the new version is WORTH saving. Most of Helix is so fluid to work with, this functionality just makes sense for it especially.

Voted up!

• 9 months later...

This is a work around for sure, and wouldn't be very helpful if you needed to use different effects in the same slots, but you could use snapshots.  Snapshot 1 could be your baseline and then use snapshot 2 to make your adjustments.  You could flip between them to compare your changes.  

That's helpful when tweaking a pre-set. Not really helpful when comparing, because you have to hit 'SAVE' prior to switching to switching presets, making the tweaks in that preset permanent.

It's a scratch preset, and you have the original in another slot... So...nothing is lost.  Might as well save it as not.

In fact, without a compare feature, you have to save it to compare it.

I did vote up the compare function, btw.

I voted this up, too!

This should be implemented directly on the Helix, and not solely via using the Editor!

Frankly, it is quite surprising this is not already a feature. And, once you were to save a scratch preset or use the snapshots to accomplish this, there are no directly supported methods to simply wipe a Preset back to a "New Preset" unused status. You still need to copy an empty New Preset and paste it on top of a used preset or painstakingly Remove the Blocks and revert the Input and Output Block settings. In 2017, it is uncommon to find such Last Century operating system methods, particularly in dedicated devices developed within the last several years as is the case with Helix. If I'm not too far off, I believe Helix was approx four years in the making and was released in mid-2016. Hopefully, this year it will see a significant OS firmware revamp with 3.0.

I wouldn't mind having a multi-level "UnDo/ReDo" feature in addition to compare, even if it is just in the Editor.

I would love to be able to Undo a model change in the helix front panel edit.  Seems I often bump the model joystick when making other edits.  Then I have to decide whether I should revert my entire preset editing session, or just try to remember what settings I had on the previously selected model.