Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve 112 MK1 Vs DT25 + HD500X

jonboyuk

Hey all,

I need some buying support please :) 

I currently own a Spider Valve 112 MK1, which is a nice amp and loud for gigging (I do lots of funk/rock). But it's been getting a little unreliable of late and I'm considering selling it for a DT25/HD500X combo instead.

What are people's thoughts regarding volume (compared to the Valve 112 MK1?) I know my current one is 40W and the DT25 is, well, 25W. Oh, and I can't afford a DT50 and can't deal with such a big amp!

Whatcha think? :D

Thanks

I own a SV 212 MKII and a DT25 Head/Cab (with HD500). Both are great amps but the DT25 is by far the better IMHO. I do prefer the head/cab over a combo. Splits up the weight and I prefer the sound over a combo. I keep the SV as a spare and for friends when they come over. I still think it is an awesome amp. I get more than enough volume out of the DT25 for the gigs I do. The SV212 is really $#@ heavy. I don't like taking it out of the house.

I am sure some others will chime in on this? 

Thanks, there's some really good points there. Sadly I can't afford to keep the SV *and* a DT25, my wife would leave me haha! How is the sound different between a combo and a head/cab? (Newbie question). I thought it was essentially the same thing but split into 2?

What if I decided to use an HD500X WITH the Spider Valve via the FX Loop, (or PowerAmp in if that's the same thing). Is the DT25 combo that much better? There's one on Ebay for £370 ($530) and I'm a bit wary about the amp second hand that's 2 years old. Normally I wouldn't mind, but I've read a lot on here about dying DT25 amps with fuses/transformers etc. Thoughts? :)

If you use the fx loop of the spider you will effectively be using it as if it's an FRFR speaker - just amplifying the POD (OK, a bit obvious I know!). If you connect to a DT over L6 Link you have control over the topography of the amp so get actual 'emulation' of the various amps on offer...

So it's a question of realism? Sorry I'm being a bit dumb here, but even if it's FRFR I thought the HD500X emulated speaker cabs anyway, sort of in the same way my SV currently gives me clean/crunch/twang etc based on other amp models (although I realise the former combination bypasses those entirely). So does it matter? Can you explain? Apologies for being so thick on this one!

Congrats on your DT25 purchase. It will work better with the POD HD than the SV. They are designed to work together as Matt Brown pointed out where the HD500 can control the output configuration of the DT amp. No other amp on the market (as far as I know) can do what the DT amps do especially when connected to a POD 500 via the Line 6 Link.

The differential between Head/Cab vs Combo is a personal choice. The cab will provide a tighter bass response generally speaking and you split the weight up into two components, which as you get older, is something to be appreciated. Also I prefer the controls to be on front of the amp rather than on top. Like most things (unless you have a good memory) you would need to try both DT variants side by side to appreciate the difference between the two models. Lastly, and probably the most important part, the head/cab just looks way cooler. A moot point if you have already bought one or the other at this point.

I think you will be surprised how versatile it is jonboy! Once you get over the mare most people have over just how many options you have!

There aren't many of us here on this side of the pond so if you are anywhere near south east London let me know and we can compare notes!

Thanks Geppert, some really good points there! :)

Haha true story Matt, and I'm more than happy to compare notes. I'm in Bristol myself so not a million miles away (if we're talking pond distances)! Incidentally you've probably seen my other post but I have a really frustrating hum issue on the triode setting (with allegedly brand new tubes). Also, the piece of plastic under the knobs (combo) vibrates like MAD when I'm playing loud. I wonder if there's a way to shut it up?

That aside, it's amazing!!