Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drop D 1/2 Step Downtuning?

Does anyone here tune down their Variax to your "default" tuning and then use the tuning features to provide your alternates?

I'm in Drop D 1/2 step down 90% of the time so I'm planning on setting up the Variax (JTV 89 on the way) for that tuning to use the real pickups with and then setting up standard tuning and any other variations with the alternate tuning function. Any issues with string tension and the piezo pickups? I usually use 10s but not sure what the Variax ships with (or if tuning down would require me to go to 11s).

I've always kept my Variax 300 in standard tuning and setup the alts for my "standard". I guess I could try it on my 300 but I never did since it doesn't have regular pickups and didn't want to mess with the setup too much. 

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice used a Variax in D standard and based the alt tunings off of that. Seemed to work just fine for him.

Note that if you go down you might want thicker strings because with low tension, the piezos don't pick up the string vibrations.

Yep, I'm thinking of doing this,too. I use 1/2 step down as my standard and I'll bump up to medium strings.  I know at a 25" scale in eflat with 11s I should be where I want to be.  Not sure how I'll need to fiddle with the alt-tunings but ... I'm sure I can figure it out.

I love my other guitars .. but this JTV 89 is stealing my heart.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I wasn't clear about this post, so I might be repeating the question. On the JTV-89F, if my band is always tuned a 1/2 step down, can I tune the JTV-89F that way, then get the alternate tunings accordingly? So in other words, if I then change the tuning knob to "drop D", will it essentially be Drop D flat? Or will the guitar move back up to drop D (as if it was normally tuned to E).

I am not sure that most realize that if you tune to non standard tuning you need to adjust the intonation.  You should intonate to the tuning you are going to use most.  If you change string gauge that also changes the intonation.  For the alternate tuning to work properly you need your guitar tuned properly and intonated properly.

• Upvote 1