Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning set percentages to footswitch

sammycraig

I may be missing something very simple right now so please enlighten me. When running the leslie cab clone I can set the percentages for fast and slow and then use a footswitch to switch back and forth all while having another footswitch dedicated to turning the cab on and off. 

What would I have to do if I wanted to set my amp gain percentage on two different points and them use a foot switch to toggle between them. I know I can live edit that using the expression pedal but I want to have settings pre set ready to go. I would love a way to do this that I could apply to effects as well. That way of having two delays set up side by side with different settings I could just use one and change the settings back and fourth. 

I may be missing something very simple right now so please enlighten me. When running the leslie cab clone I can set the percentages for fast and slow and then use a footswitch to switch back and forth all while having another footswitch dedicated to turning the cab on and off. 

What would I have to do if I wanted to set my amp gain percentage on two different points and them use a foot switch to toggle between them. I know I can live edit that using the expression pedal but I want to have settings pre set ready to go. I would love a way to do this that I could apply to effects as well. That way of having two delays set up side by side with different settings I could just use one and change the settings back and fourth. 

Just select the block you want to set a parameter to a footswitch for. Go to "Controller Assign", select the parameter you want to control, assign it to a footswitch and set the min and max parameters to the settings you want.  Then save.

You may well find it faster and easier to use the "Quick Controller Assign" function to do this by simply pressing on the button for the parameter you wish to control via footswitch for 2 seconds. This will jump you over to the "Controller Assign" page and essentially just execute the same procedure as above.

Just select the block you want to set a parameter to a footswitch for. Go to "Controller Assign", select the parameter you want to control, assign it to a footswitch and set the min and max parameters to the settings you want.  Then save.

You may well find it faster and easier to use the "Quick Controller Assign" function to do this by simply pressing on the button for the parameter you wish to control via footswitch for 2 seconds. This will jump you over to the "Controller Assign" page and essentially just execute the same procedure as above.

Ill have to give this a try tonight when I get in front of my Helix. Have you used this function in the way that im thinkiing of using it? 

A bunch of my patches do this, very useful.

One thing to watch for: The value stored w the preset isn't necessarily either the min or max set by the controller. If a footswitch used this way doesn't have its min value matching the preset, there are really three states in play. When you first recall the preset, you get its saved value, hit the footswitch once, get the footswitch's max value, hit it again, get the footswitch's min value. Nothing you do short of recalling the preset again gets back the preset's saved value.

• Upvote 1

One thing to watch for: The value stored w the preset isn't necessarily either the min or max set by the controller. If a footswitch used this way doesn't have its min value matching the preset, there are really three states in play. When you first recall the preset, you get its saved value, hit the footswitch once, get the footswitch's max value, hit it again, get the footswitch's min value. Nothing you do short of recalling the preset again gets back the preset's saved value.

That could be vey useful - if the song had a unique intro sound, then the saved state could cover that whereas the max and min values could work for the verse / chorus... I will have to store that trick in my brain for a time when it is useful :)

• Upvote 1

A bunch of my patches do this, very useful.

Thats a really good thing to watch for. Couldn't you get around it by just saving the preset at one of its min or max values? 

Thats a really good thing to watch for. Couldn't you get around it by just saving the preset at one of its min or max values? 

Yes, and that's what I typically do. It's a little inconvenient, because if you change the initial value, you have to update it in both the preset and the footswitch, but it's certianly workable.

And ricksteruk is also right that in some circumstances, that 3-state behavior could actually be helpful, if it happens to be what you want.