Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Outdoor Venue Glare

jfk049

I recently played an outdoor gig with the bright mid-afternoon sun shining down on my Helix.  It was pretty difficult to see the preset #'s and/or footswitch names until later in the day. I kind of set up this half-assed tent-like deal using an amp cover to shade it but it looked pretty lame. So, it's time to figure out the best way forward for this especially since I have a bunch of outdoor summer gigs upcoming.  I'm thinking of using some anti glare tape on all the displays but curious what anyone else has tried for this problem.  I know turning the unit on while holding footswitch 2 allows you to adjust brightness for the colored lights but I'm not aware any way to do that for the "white over black" displays.  Any comments are appreciated.   

I recently played an outdoor gig with the bright mid-afternoon sun shining down on my Helix.  It was pretty difficult to see the preset #'s and/or footswitch names until later in the day. I kind of set up this half-assed tent-like deal using an amp cover to shade it but it looked pretty lame. So, it's time to figure out the best way forward for this especially since I have a bunch of outdoor summer gigs upcoming.  I'm thinking of using some anti glare tape on all the displays but curious what anyone else has tried for this problem.  I know turning the unit on while holding footswitch 2 allows you to adjust brightness for the colored lights but I'm not aware any way to do that for the "white over black" displays.  Any comments are appreciated.   

Sometimes the sun shades they sell for people to leave on their dashboards when they park their cars in summer sun can be rigged to work ok. Here is one that might work with a metal band, but not so much for a folk acoustic act   :D

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Reflective-Windshield-SUNSHADE-Reversible/dp/B0125DPF3Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463361084&sr=8-1&keywords=Universal+24x58+inch+Reflective+Slanted+SKULL

• 4 weeks later...

Played outdoors last Saturday with sun shining directly on the Helix. Could not see the color display very well and could not see if the LED rings were on or off.

The scribble strips were easier to see, especially the active preset which was inverted with a light background with dark text. The stomp displays were more difficult to tell if they were light text or shaded text on a dark background.

It would be great if the stomp displays had a light background with dark text when enabled, just like the preset displays. Please vote for these ideas:

Please add Noticeable difference in scribble text when engaged

Helix Scribble Strips - Effects Toggle Flip Background Text

I'd the same thing, full sunlight the color screen all but unreadable (for the other 90% of the environmental conditions you'll play indoors etc totally beautiful though). Gave up on it, not really needed too much outside of editing etc.

Scribble strips worked fine for me though on presets so yeah, great idea to have the stomps follow suit. Even if that was a configurable options like 'Daylight mode' or the likes.

On a similar note, I find I simply don't need the color display unless I'm editing. When playing I rarely look at it as stomps and scribble strips are all I need. Wish there was a way to switch off the color display and therefore conserve the thing and it's longevity (only part that worries me about the screen when in time pixels will die and that's the overall display will be the most prone to failure, so why not be efficient with it). God, would love if there was a screensaver mode where it turned off after X minutes and could be brought back to visibility by pressing the joystick or the likes. Now that, would be ideal

• Upvote 1

Just ran a quick search since I thought I had seen something on LCD outdoor glare.

Has anyone tried something like these NuShield Day Vue anti-glare films?

http://www.nushield.com/anti-reflective-film

It's $18 bucks for the iPad Mini version.  Not sure if there is a better size but you could probably cut it.

I would think it shouldn't damage the Helix clear screen cover taking it off.

• Upvote 1

Just ran a quick search since I thought I had seen something on LCD outdoor glare.

It's $18 bucks for the iPad Mini version.  Not sure if there is a better size but you could probably cut it.

This looks like an awesome alternative if as you say they don't damage the screen if they need to be removed. If anyone tries them I hope they post back here on their effectiveness and usability.

I spoke with the Nushield rep and they said the Day Vue film works quite well in direct sunlight, applies easily, still provides good visibility indoors, assists visibility with polarized sunglasses, and can be easily removed or even reapplied. Looks like it might be worth a try.

Wow, thanks for calling them, HO!

Read a bit more on their site and searched for some other brands.

Nusheild seems to be the highest quality film.

I'll probably place an order soon. I'd like to find a product screen size close to Helix so I don't have to cut. I wouldn't mind it hanging over a little.

They offer SO many sizes for specific manufacturer and models. I wonder if they would do one for Line 6 Helix if a few of us would commit to buying them.

Nushield looks like a great product if it works. I play a lot of outdoor gigs, but haven't been in direct sunlight with the Helix yet. Nushield looks like it would help with another problem, that I can't use my good polarized sunglasses with my iPad.

Ugh, should have pulled the trigger on Nusheild last week when we started chatting about it.

Had an outdoor craft beer fest gig that was supposed to be indoor in one of the blocks bars. We got promoted to the main stage. Couldn't see the screen at all, except tuner mode thank goodness.

I guess I can be the guinea pig and order it. I'll report back.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 7/17/2022 at 6:05 PM, Chairman-Miaow said:

Hi there... did anyone follow up on the Nusheild solution.... I too have exactly the same issues with sunlight etc.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

You obviously missed this discussion. Things have moved on since 2016.Oops!

Hope this helps/makes sense.