Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Firehawk vs preset Helix

Duckie162

Hi guys,

I started this topic because I have a question concerning preset Firehawk vs. preset Helix.

I purchased a year ago the Firehawk and I'm  satisfied with the sounds I was looking for and the interface remote is oke but not enough, now 2 months ago I purchased the Helix for its great interface hardware and software for PC with Windows 10, so easy.

And everyone was full of praise for the sounds.

Especially the editor with 8 Setup list is very nice.

But I find it hard to create my own sounds. I play in a cover band with a lot of different songs and sounds as you know. These are in my Firehawk.

Now I try to copy the presets on my Firehawk, read "dial in." In the Helix.

When I take the exact same amp cabinet in the Helix and Firehawk with compatible settings to compare. Then they sound so different with respect to each other.

The Firehawk sounds better than the Helix I must say.

But I am convinced that Helix also has to sound as good maybe better.

My question is, is there any one of you who also has the Firehawk and the Helix. And make easy good sounds with the Helix.

Can I send you one of my  firehawk preset and ask you to make a copy preset for the Helix for me.

I play on a Blade Rh2 in to the Firehawk or Helix in to the FOH. with rehearsal

At home via mixer with 2 Adam monitors.

Thanks for listening.

sorry for my englisch

Hi guys,

When I take the exact same amp cabinet in the Helix and Firehawk with compatible settings to compare. Then they sound so different with respect to each other.

The Firehawk sounds better than the Helix I must say.

But I am convinced that Helix also has to sound as good maybe better.

Can I send you one of my firehawk preset and ask you to make a copy preset for the Helix for me.

You're exactly right on all points. Replicating a Firehawk preset settings on Helix does not sound the same because the underlying modeling DSP is not the same. And given that your Firehawk preset sounds good to you, the Helix preset won't. Yet Helix, it's true, is capable of delivering much better sound than Firehawk. But not with the same settings. And given that Helix is able to produce better sounds, why would your goal be to replicate the Firehawk sounds? You want BETTER sounds.

If you are satisfied with your Firehawk sounds there is no reason to get Helix. But if you want better sounds, you won't find them using your approach so far. You will have to start from scratch or use Customtone as a a starting point. There is a learning curve with Helix and there is no shortcut around it. Much better sounds are in there but you will have to find them by experimenting.

Start with one of your favourite amps. Add it to a New Preset in Helix and start experimenting with the amp settings. You will soon find the settings that sound good to you - and they won't be the settings from the Firehawk preset. Experiment with the Drive setting and with your guitar's volume knob. Notice the improved dynamics of how the amp responds to your guitar, and how the drive setting adds a much more realistic 'grit' to your tone. This is the starting point for your preset. You may find you don't need an overdrive pedal at all, and if you want one it's settings can be much more subtle than the Firehawk settings. Once your amp/drive/overdrive setup sounds good to you, move on to adding other FX one by one, experimenting with the settings, until you have a full preset that sounds better than Firehawk.

There's really no escaping the learning curve if you want better tones. But again, if you like your Firehawk tones and don't want the learning curve, there is no need for you to get Helix.

Thanks Silverhead for youre reply,

And you are right about the learning curve I'm am aware about that.

and i'm not try to escape from it. but in the 2 months that i have the Helix, i have tried also from scratch to make my presets.

but I can't find it. and i'm still believe in the Helix. I have purchased some very fine presets by Glenn delaune and they are sounds good.

But i'm looking for some of my own Firehawk presets sounds.

So if someone can make a good replicate of one or two of mine Firehawk presets then maybe i have a good starting point and learning from here.

There is one setup in a lot of my Firehawk presets and that's my favorite whit a 1964 fender Blackface "Lux" in it.

I miss that sound . AND I KNOW HELIX CAN DO IT "BETTER"  that's why i bought it , but still i dont have it.

Someone help me please to get me on the Helix road.

Thanks again for listening