Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BotSkittle

I apologize if this was asked previously elsewhere. I tried perusing the manuals and searching the forums...

For the last 4 years, I have been using Guitar Rig with Rig Kontrol live. Honestly, I might still be a happy user if NI would keep their products up-to-date and not discontinue their hardware. :angry:  I can't do a live show anymore without experiencing bad audio drop-outs and worse. Time to ditch and look elsewhere...

One of the cool things I was able to do with GR, however, was route speaker simulation (cab sim, etc.) to ONLY one side of the outputs. My common setup was to run the output with NO cab sim to my on-stage amp, and the output with the cab sim ON to the DI/PA system. The tones were just a little off from each other, but my stage amp has V30's, and so I'd run the V30 cab sim for the house line, and with a little EQ, I was a pretty happy camper. This became the better option, rather than A) Mic'ing the stage cab for the house feed (not a fan), and B] Running the cab sim ON to my amp signal (Redundant yuck.), or C) Using NO cab sim (horrible shrill line out).

So obviously, that's my question. Can you, somehow, route the outputs on the HD500X in such a way where the speaker simulation is running to, say, the Balanced XLR output(s) - meanwhile the 1/4" amp outputs disengage any cab sim?

Or...is there another option/configuration I'm not aware of that addresses this issue?

Thanks for the help!

The HD500 is stereo. So, yes, you can run one side dry and another fully loaded. But no, you can't separate 1/4" and XLR. Left and right only.

** you aren't limited to a dry and wet split. You can have two wet sides if that is what you want. 

Edited by pianoguyy

It can be done. 

It could get tricky depending on what all you have before and after the (virtual) amp, but it can be done. 

When I said wet and dry, I meant: 

dry - a total pass through. Plugged into the (physical) amp as if it was directly plugged in instead of going through a device. 

wet - anything that isn't a 'pass though'. 

The HD500 allows you to have signal chain sections with a single path sharing common FX blocks and sections with two parallel paths, each containing different FX blocks. If you put the FXs in the single path section and the amp in only one of the parallel paths you should be good. Pan the non-amp path to L and the amp-path to R to have them come out separate L/R outputs. Pianoguy is correct. The two signals you see on the XLR connectors are the same two signals you see on the 1/4: connectors, although the 1/4 outputs have a larger signal level.

A side benefit to this approach is that you can also have different FX for the two paths. Like EQ'ing the amp output to make it sound good locally to you, for example.

My opinion is that since you are using a conventional guitar cab that your best bet to get what you are after without having to run a dual amp setup would be to get an H&K redbox DI (The Behringer copy is actually decent). Basically, it is not possible to get cab and mic on one side a amp only on the other with a single amp model. However, if you use something like the redbox, then you basically setup your patches without a cab or mic and let the red box do the work of feeding the house. Anyway, that's an option. To get a true dual mono, you likely would need to make sure that you have a mono FX block placed in the last position of the chain.