Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix into Bogner Ecstasy for Live

gsummers

Bear with me here...there is a question further down I promise.

For years I have been running a Bogner Ecstasy for live performance.  In the last couple of years I have beefed up the setup with a head and rack combo case, ground control pro, voodoo labs control switcher, and a voodoo labs GCX audio switcher.  I have a few stomp boxes on a rack shelf and everything is controlled via the ground controller to work the control switcher for amp channel selecting and GCX (Turning loops on and off).

This setup sounds great, so there isn't anything broken here. I just purchased the Helix rack for studio mainly, to possibly replace my eleven rack I have had since its initial release. Now, for my question:

To have some versatility, I was wondering the best way to run the helix into the ecstasy (which still feels wrong to think about doing it, although I am still waiting to get the helix shipped this week so I have never played one).  Other option is to purchase a separate rack power amp and leave the Bogner head and effects rack at home.

For now, what would be the best way to run this through the ecstasy head? I have tried to run the 11R in the past into the head and I could never get a good sound...but I am sure it was the way I was doing it.

Thanks,

G

My Helix sounds fantastic into either my H&K switchblade combo or my old Laney AOR combo (or both in stereo). I just go from Helix 1/4in out into the FX return - and make sure I don't use any cab blocks on that path.

You can split the signal path and run it to the PA by the XLRs through a cab or IR in that path. This works really well if you use one cab/IR for the whole of your set and try to match it to the real sound that comes from your amp.

Edit. I also use my amp in 4 cable method so I can use the real preamps too.

• Upvote 1

Probably the 4 cable method would be great for this setup. It wouldn't be much different than what you already have except instead of the stomps you could use the FX in the Helix and the Helix might even switch the channels on that head as well.

• Upvote 1

You can't beat the 1 cable simplicity of Helix 1/4" out into tube amp effects return. I started with that, tried 4CM, and went back to "1CM". Amp or preamp only models on the path the the tube amp, no cab models. You can put cab models on a split path Helix XLR out to PA.

After going round and round with different cabling, routing, and amp switching options trying to keep my tube amp preamp in play, I found that once I committed to the Helix amp models, life was a lot simpler, less frustrating and more productive.

But you should try both so you you don't feel like you are missing out one way or the other.

FYI though, if you decide to get a rack tube (or solid state) power amp later and keep your Bogner baby safe and comfy at home, it seems there is a new generation of them emerging that designed to be neutral for use with modellers. I really have my eye on the Fryette Power Station or Synergy SYN5050. Both are 1u and light. I doubt Line 6/Bogner would be out done by Fryette and Egnater and am curious to see what they might release later this year.

• Upvote 1

You can't beat the 1 cable simplicity of Helix 1/4" out into tube amp effects return. I started with that, tried 4CM, and went back to "1CM". Amp or preamp only models on the path the the tube amp, no cab models. You can put cab models on a split path Helix XLR out to PA.

After going round and round with different cabling, routing, and amp switching options trying to keep my tube amp preamp in play, I found that once I committed to the Helix amp models, life was a lot simpler, less frustrating and more productive.

But you should try both so you you don't feel like you are missing out one way or the other.

FYI though, if you decide to get a rack tube (or solid state) power amp later and keep your Bogner baby safe and comfy at home, it seems there is a new generation of them emerging that designed to be neutral for use with modellers. I really have my eye on the Fryette Power Station or Synergy SYN5050. Both are 1u and light. I doubt Line 6/Bogner would be out done by Fryette and Egnater and am curious to see what they might release later this year.

This was my experience as well. I get great sounds running the Helix through the FX return on my CAE PT-100.

That said, I use the Helix through some powered monitors when playing live and leave the amp at home. I'm very happy with the tones I am getting and the easy setup.

• Upvote 1

For some reason this forum doesn't notify me when I get responses.

Anyway, Thanks guys for all the great responses. Sounds like I have some experimenting to do. Will also have to look into some of those power amps mentioned above by iknowathingortow. Can't wait to get it in for sure! Hopefully I will have better luck than I did with th 11r. Went into the fx return on that one with cab sims off but just didn't sound good. I haven't ever heard of the 4 cable method so will have to try that.

This was my experience as well. I get great sounds running the Helix through the FX return on my CAE PT-100.

That said, I use the Helix through some powered monitors when playing live and leave the amp at home. I'm very happy with the tones I am getting and the easy setup.

Would love to able to travel light. I was looking at that Friedman powered monitor. Small rack and a monitor, plug in and go. My current road case is a back breaker but it sounds great lol.