Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tap Tempo issue after FW 1.12

jeffster2021

I noticed that after upgrading FW 1.12 and the new Editor, my Tap Tempo went south.  I use the Tap Tempo Per Preset.  I usually set a tempo for each patch/song in my set.  I set the tempo via the Editor.  Now when I switch patches, the tempo remains the same as if Global is set.  The tempo is correct in each patch but does not change unless it toggle the tempo mode from Preset to Global and then back to Preset.  I have done all the usual troublshooting like global reset and all.  Can someone verify they have the same issue.  You have to watch the flashing tempo light. It doesn't change when switching to a preset with a different tempo value.  Very strange.  It's been working in previous FW versions.

• Upvote 2

I can confirm that there is a problem.

I tried all my patches, the tempo of the delays is like I stored them, everything sounds right.

the flashing tempo light is wrong, looks like it shows the global tempo

I have confirmed that all time based effects are wrong(dotted 1/8, 1/4, etc.) tempo from stored tempo in preset. It's like the Helix is ignoring the stored tempo regardless of the global/preset setting. If you adjust the tempo one click up, then back down, everything syncs back up. I rolled back to FW 1.10 and everything works.

I noticed that after upgrading FW 1.12 and the new Editor, my Tap Tempo went south.  I use the Tap Tempo Per Preset.  I usually set a tempo for each patch/song in my set.  I set the tempo via the Editor.  Now when I switch patches, the tempo remains the same as if Global is set.  The tempo is correct in each patch but does not change unless it toggle the tempo mode from Preset to Global and then back to Preset.  I have done all the usual troublshooting like global reset and all.  Can someone verify they have the same issue.  You have to watch the flashing tempo light. It doesn't change when switching to a preset with a different tempo value.  Very strange.  It's been working in previous FW versions.

This should definitely be placed as a "P1" top priority bug to squash. This is not good and probably easy to fix.

• Upvote 1

Just to be sure, you're not using the Bucket Brigade delay, are you? It has a cap on delay time and some not-at-all-intuitive behavior when you try to exceed that.

No.  I tried a new patch with just a simple delay.  Fails every time.

I just thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks, guys. I'd notice it more if I changed patches more often, but I don't. I have been known to use one patch for an entire service.

I noticed it last Sunday during the service.  I thought I was going crazy.  I just stayed on one patch and just tapped the tempo to finish out the service.  I later discovered the issue.

That's a serious bug. I'm not usually being harsh but it's been at least 3 days since you reported the bug, there should have been a hotfix for this already since it was working in previous versions. I'm glad my yesterday's gig was cancelled, it would have been a mess as I also use a patch per song with tempo set the same as our drummer's click.

Lesson learned, will not be so easy going anymore when it comes to firmware updates. Will humbly wait for you brave guys to test it thoroughly first, cannot afford to screw a gig like that. I thought Line 6 had better QA in place... Well, being a software developer myself I understand it's tough but I also get yelled at from our clients when I screw up so... Come on, Line6 devs, put your back into it! ;)

Thanks for reporting and confirming. 

That's a serious bug. I'm not usually being harsh but it's been at least 3 days since you reported the bug, there should have been a hotfix for this already since it was working in previous versions. I'm glad my yesterday's gig was cancelled, it would have been a mess as I also use a patch per song with tempo set the same as our drummer's click.

Lesson learned, will not be so easy going anymore when it comes to firmware updates. Will humbly wait for you brave guys to test it thoroughly first, cannot afford to screw a gig like that. I thought Line 6 had better QA in place... Well, being a software developer myself I understand it's tough but I also get yelled at from our clients when I screw up so... Come on, Line6 devs, put your back into it! ;)

Thanks for reporting and confirming. 

I have to agree that it would have been a fine thing for this bug to have been addressed in a more timely fashion. For those of us who gig using tap tempo this is a major bug. I use it on every tune unless I either forget, don't have enough time, or am going for a specific tempo.  I know Line6 is working on some great stuff right now and I am truly looking forward to it but ideally there would be enough flexibility built into the the code release process to respond quickly to a major and I am guessing (no way for me to know for sure) a fairly easy bug to fix like this one.  

Bugs like this require as close to an immediate response as L6 can muster and should not just result in "business as usual" as appears to be the case. I am sure they immediately started working on the fix, I don't mean to imply they are unresponsive in their efforts, the guys are working overtime, but there just does not appear to be a mechanism in the firmware release schedule to allow a fix to be quickly released. My apologies for being an armchair quarterback.  I don't quite understand why a quickfix to this bug would represent such a major disruption to the rest of their firmware efforts that it can't be pushed out rapidly.

I would love for L6 to reach out and give us some insight into their update process that would explain why we can't seem to get quick fixes on  bugs. We are with you and would like to just understand the process a bit better. Perhaps the QA process is simply too heavyweight and the risk too high, or there is a company decision not to do them. Perhaps by the time the bug was reported they were so far down the line on the new firmware that back-fitting the fix would have represented a substantial delay to the next release. There is probably a (good?) reason and I am mystified as to what it is? Does L6 even have a process for quickfixes (I can't remember ever seeing one) or would they prefer we just rollback when there is a problem?

Firmware 1.10 seems to be fine for me. There were no features added to 1.12 except compatibility with the new version of the editor. Unless breaking the tempo is a feature. :)

FW 1.12:

Bug Fixes

- A USB port driver issue within OS X El Capitan precluded certain computers (namely MacBook Pros and iMacs from mid-2012) from allowing communication between Helix and the Helix Editor. Note: You must update OS X to El Capitan 10.11.4 - FIXED

- Helix could not correctly respond to incoming MIDI CC #64 (Tap Tempo) - FIXED

- Helix could sometimes not correctly respond to incoming MIDI PC messages after exporting and then reimporting the same setlist - FIXED

- The Tuner screen’s Output parameter would not remember its value across power cycles - FIXED

- Changing Input or Output types from the Controller Assign screen could sometimes automatically engage the Learn Controller button - FIXED

- Input > Multi and Input > Variax Tone parameter could sometimes maintain its value across presets, even when set to ‘Per Preset’

- Helix Rack’s TAP/TUNER button was unresponsive while in Pedal Edit mode - FIXED

- Expression pedals with inverted polarity could cause Helix Rack to freeze when connected to Helix Control - FIXED

- If two footswitches’ assignments are quick-swapped while in the Controller Assign screen, the most recent assignment could be removed - FIXED

- The Looper block’s icon could incorrectly reflect its state after saving a preset - FIXED

- General stability improvements

- Many other minor bug fixes and optimizations

KNOWN ISSUES

- After a Factory Reset, Global Settings > Ins/Outs > XLR Outputs level appears as Line level but is actually Mic level until you move the knob to "Mic" and back to "Line"

- On rare occasions, if Helix is disconnected from the computer within 10 seconds of shutting down the Helix editor, MIDI transmission may become inactive. Always wait 10 seconds after quitting the Helix editor before disconnecting. If you forget, power cycling Helix solves the issue.

- If you send MIDI CC #59 to Helix, it toggles the control between your bypass-assigned blocks for this switch, but the EXP 1 - EXP 2 Toe Switch strip label does not change states as it does when toggled via the on-board pedal.

for good order's sake ;)

Hey Jeff did you roll back to firmware 1.10 ?

Yes.  See below.

I have confirmed that all time based effects are wrong(dotted 1/8, 1/4, etc.) tempo from stored tempo in preset. It's like the Helix is ignoring the stored tempo regardless of the global/preset setting. If you adjust the tempo one click up, then back down, everything syncs back up. I rolled back to FW 1.10 and everything works.

Yes.  See below.

Thanks Jeff  was considering rolling back to 1.10 myself... the Helix was working ad sounding awesome for me before the last update 1.12 going to see if there s a difference will roll back later tonight...