Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Reviews on Variax Standard?

the29band

How come there aren't many reviews on the Variax Standard? Are these not popular at all? It's easy to find a review on JTV and while I understand the Standard is a relatively new model, there are only a couple of reviews out there. I usually look for "non-pro" video reviews (i.e. not Line 6, Sweetwater etc.) because the commercial reviews always sound good, no matter what the gear is.  

I might be returning a JTV that I recently purchased and am thinking if I should get the Standard. I am aware of the feature differences. What I am looking for is if JTV worth the extra cost if I am good with the HD firmware. If the models sound exactly the same, what value is JTV providing that the Standard does not? 

Hi

You can look at these videos , but it's a french demo (sorry)

But you can hear the sounds

1- This guitar is connected to a Pod HD 500X  to a mix table to a soundcard (The sounds are not adjusted and are directly recorded with the webcam (sounds coming from a lexicon alpha soundcard. NO AMP USED

And all the knobs of the mix table are in the middle (NO Mixing)

2 - Using Elixir 10-46 strings

3- using the Variax cable

The Variax standard is a nice guitar, very good sounding (with a Pod), nice finition, and confortable

just the battery is down after 3 hours. Not really a good solution , but you can go this http://www.thomann.de/be/line6_variax_cabled_power_kit.htm?ref=search_rslt_variax_370542_11.

But this comes with 10-46 strings, I find this a good alternatives if you play different style

I trying 9-42 and I was dissapointed with the acoustics sounds and go back and stay with 46-10.

hope it can help you.

• Upvote 1

If the models sound exactly the same, what value is JTV providing that the Standard does not?

Less ugliness ;)... Official proclamations notwithstanding, the Standard is a Pacifica with Variax guts. Not the prettiest guitars in the world, imho. But as always, ymmv.

Seriously though, the only real answer is more body style choices. You didn't say which JTV you have, but the Standard is basically a Strat-style guitar, closest to the JTV69 in looks and (I assume) feel. LP guys want the 59, shredders the 89...it's just personal preference.

The 69 can also accommodate a Strat neck, if you're not a fan of the stock one. Many of us have replaced them. The Standard's neck pocket has different dimensions, so that's a no-go.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. I'm looking to get a Variax this weekend. Guitar Center has a 15% off deal which makes it that much easier to buy....How are your experiences with the Standard? Any issues with it staying in tune after using the trem arm? I'm definitely not picky when it comes to exact replication of tone, etc, just bought a Firehawk FX and having a blast with that. I would definitely be using the Variax live. Any naysayers?

I'm happy with mine. Its not a great guitar, but its functional as a backup guitar, quick open tunings on a few songs, and I sometimes need an acoustic for a song or two. It doesn't do anything great, and it won't replace my Strat or Les Paul, but not bad at all. The magnetic pickups sound surprisingly good. Expect to have to do a professional setup to get it to play well. Stays in tine fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Less ugliness ;)... Official proclamations notwithstanding, the Standard is a Pacifica with Variax guts. Not the prettiest guitars in the world, imho. But as always, ymmv.

Seriously though, the only real answer is more body style choices. You didn't say which JTV you have, but the Standard is basically a Strat-style guitar, closest to the JTV69 in looks and (I assume) feel. LP guys want the 59, shredders the 89...it's just personal preference.

The 69 can also accommodate a Strat neck, if you're not a fan of the stock one. Many of us have replaced them. The Standard's neck pocket has different dimensions, so that's a no-go.

I went to a GuitarCenter in Orlando today specifically to look at a Variax Standard. (Not many stores keep them in stock.) 

The one the store had was marked down from $799 to $699.

It was also hanging right next to a Yamaha Pacifica. The bodies are the same--identical. The necks are the same except for the headstock shape and a little rounder edge at the heel on the Variax. The tuner posts were attached a little differently--smaller bolts around the posts on the Pacifica than the Variax. The truss rod cover is identical. The construction and feel of the neck, body, all were the same on both guitars.

It was easy to see that the Standard is a Pacifica body and neck with the Variax computer inside.

The Pacifica was priced at $179. So they value the Variax hardware and brand at $620 in price, on top of the $179 for the Pacifica.

• 11 months later...