buckytom

Anyone have a GOOD Fender Twin CLEAN tone??

I'm looking for just a crisp Fender Twin style clean tone that I can use as a starting-point for my patches.  I've played with all of the factory presets, and a LOT of the clean-tones I've found on the forum, and so far I haven't been able to find anything that just sounds like a regular old CLEAN Fender Twin.  They all seem to sound like 1 of 2 things: either just too squashed (they all sound like there's already some gain happening- if you just play a chord with any force, they already seem to start breaking up); OR they're those super ambient reverb-delay type clean tones (which don't get me wrong- those sound super cool and all, but I need just a good flat CLEAN tone).

I play in a band that covers a LOT of different styles of music.  Right now I get about 90% of my tones on-stage from just my clean Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 (think SUPER clean like a Fender Twin) with an Analog Man King of Tone in front of it, all mic'd by an SM57 pretty close to the grill.  That's IT.  And that's basically what I'm looking to replicate with the Helix, but I haven't even been able to get CLOSE, yet.  Now, I know that's a "boutique" amp with a  "boutique" pedal in front of it, but really I'm just looking for ANYTHING that's super clean, and NOT squashed.  Like a clean tone where if you just strum an E-chord with some force, you can hear the fullness (headroom?) of the low AND high E-strings, without any breakup.  Again nothing wrong with some killer break-up, but that's just not what I'm going for, here.  I want it to be CLEAN as can be, until I put on a distortion pedal.

I'm SURE the Helix is capable of this kind of clean tone, but apparently I'm too freaking dumb to make one myself!  Every "clean" tone I've downloaded seems to sound like a Fender Twin.... only with like a blanket over it.  Please- SOMEONE help me find a NOT-squasehd, BIG, crisp clean tone!

Lastly- not sure how much this matters or not- but I'll be using this tone directly to/through the PA.  We play a lot of big rooms, and I need a clean tone big enough to fill the space.  That's where I've run into a lot of problems- a lot of the Helix clean tones sound okay until I have them going through the PA, at which point they seem to go from a little-squashed to "why aren't you just using an amp, you chump" squashed.  

THANKS, everyone!

I wonder whether you would benefit from some third party IRs.

They can be more open sounding imho.

It could help make it sound less compressed.

Have you tried creating your own?  I'm pretty impressed with just the Twin Reverb model all by itself, with the stock settings, in a patch.  I think it sounds really authentic as I spent a few hours playing a real one this weekend.

I'm looking for just a crisp Fender Twin style clean tone that I can use as a starting-point for my patches.  I've played with all of the factory presets, and a LOT of the clean-tones I've found on the forum, and so far I haven't been able to find anything that just sounds like a regular old CLEAN Fender Twin.  They all seem to sound like 1 of 2 things: either just too squashed (they all sound like there's already some gain happening- if you just play a chord with any force, they already seem to start breaking up); OR they're those super ambient reverb-delay type clean tones (which don't get me wrong- those sound super cool and all, but I need just a good flat CLEAN tone).

I play in a band that covers a LOT of different styles of music.  Right now I get about 90% of my tones on-stage from just my clean Divided by 13 JRT 9/15 (think SUPER clean like a Fender Twin) with an Analog Man King of Tone in front of it, all mic'd by an SM57 pretty close to the grill.  That's IT.  And that's basically what I'm looking to replicate with the Helix, but I haven't even been able to get CLOSE, yet.  Now, I know that's a "boutique" amp with a  "boutique" pedal in front of it, but really I'm just looking for ANYTHING that's super clean, and NOT squashed.  Like a clean tone where if you just strum an E-chord with some force, you can hear the fullness (headroom?) of the low AND high E-strings, without any breakup.  Again nothing wrong with some killer break-up, but that's just not what I'm going for, here.  I want it to be CLEAN as can be, until I put on a distortion pedal.

I'm SURE the Helix is capable of this kind of clean tone, but apparently I'm too freaking dumb to make one myself!  Every "clean" tone I've downloaded seems to sound like a Fender Twin.... only with like a blanket over it.  Please- SOMEONE help me find a NOT-squasehd, BIG, crisp clean tone!

Lastly- not sure how much this matters or not- but I'll be using this tone directly to/through the PA.  We play a lot of big rooms, and I need a clean tone big enough to fill the space.  That's where I've run into a lot of problems- a lot of the Helix clean tones sound okay until I have them going through the PA, at which point they seem to go from a little-squashed to "why aren't you just using an amp, you chump" squashed.  

THANKS, everyone!

I've been looking for a similar sound and found that using the Helix US Deluxe normal pre-amp with a third party IR did the trick.

I recently bought some 3 Sigma IR's and found that their Fender 65 Twin IR opened up the sound and gave some clean high's w/o break-up compared to the built-in Deluxe cab. I haven't tried my Ownhammer IR's yet.

I do but bizarrely enough it comes from the Soldano Clean

Go figure... sounds great though

Have you tried the /13 amp - the same one you own - set up just like yours? I use a bunch of different amps for clean with my super strat, depending on the tone I want: the /13, the Gibson, the Dr. Z, the SLO, the Shiva, the HiWatt. Personally, I don't use the Twin, although it sounds ok with my semihollow.

If you can't get the amps clean enough, try putting an EQ with a drop in gain in front of the amp. Make sure the sag is all the way off, if you don't want any compression.

• Upvote 1

I just uploaded two clean patches to CustomTone.  Search my name at CustomTone to get the patches.  (I can't figure out how to paste the links into this forum.  I will work on that later when I have more time.)

Jim

I've been looking for a similar sound and found that using the Helix US Deluxe normal pre-amp with a third party IR did the trick.

I recently bought some 3 Sigma IR's and found that their Fender 65 Twin IR opened up the sound and gave some clean high's w/o break-up compared to the built-in Deluxe cab. I haven't tried my Ownhammer IR's yet.

Did the same, clean amp settings with Redwirez IR did the trick...no breakup at all....though I did put in a "touch" of verb on my simple patch for a little more depth....

Wow- THANKS for all the responses, everyone!  Awesome to hear that so many of you have put time in on this type of sound (and hopefully have saved ME some time!).  Heading back on the road for this weekend's gigs, but I'm gonna just set up an ALL-HELIX day next week and try all of these ideas/sounds out.  I'll report back once I've checked em out.  Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

Before you even download or purchase other IRs, you need to mess with speaker cabs (my favorite is the Dr. Z 2 x 12 or the Fender 4 x 10 on EVERYTHING and sometimes dual cabs with one of each) and with mics (dude, just go RIGHT to the ribbon mics and thank me later) and turn that amp master down a bit (you can add volume later in the chain if you need to).

And yes, the /13 model in there is stunning, one of only 3 or 4 I use (right now all my patches are using the Matchless, but I like the /13 a lot, too). And frankly, one other guy in my church with a Helix is getting awesome clean tones from the stock Twin model, just tweaking the preset that has it and a couple FX a teeny bit.

And check your input impedance.

First thing.. in the 2nd page of the amp model... turn down the master volume. You are getting some of that grit there... you can decrease the bias to clean up the power amp sim a bit more too.

• Upvote 2

First thing.. in the 2nd page of the amp model... turn down the master volume. You are getting some of that grit there... you can decrease the bias to clean up the power amp sim a bit more too.

Just tried adjusting the bias, works great to get that last bit of grit out of the tone.  Hadn't thought about that, thanks for the tip!!!!

Have you tried the /13 amp - the same one you own - set up just like yours? I use a bunch of different amps for clean with my super strat, depending on the tone I want: the /13, the Gibson, the Dr. Z, the SLO, the Shiva, the HiWatt. Personally, I don't use the Twin, although it sounds ok with my semihollow.

If you can't get the amps clean enough, try putting an EQ with a drop in gain in front of the amp. Make sure the sag is all the way off, if you don't want any compression.

yes i've been using the /13   as a clean thing with wet reverbs.  nice.