Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix midi mapping?

KasperFauerby

Hi guys,

I'm considering buying a Helix rack, but couldn't find an answer to this....

I currently have a JMP-1 midi controlled pre-amp that I use with other rack multieffect units. So initially, and surely for the first many live gigs, I would use the Helix primarily as an effects unit with a real amp. I know this is easy to do with 4cm...

However, I currently have more presets for my pre-amp than I have for effect configurations. On my current gear I can use something called midi mapping to control which presets are recalled on a number of devices when receiving a certain PC midi message. Without this feature, if the unit can only respond 1-1 with PC messages, I would have to copy the same preset into multiple slots.

I couldn't find anything about the Helix having such a feature from the online manual. Can anyone confirm if it has or hasn't got this?

In other words, could I set up the Helix such that it would recall Helix preset 1 when receiving PC32 or PC33?

I hope my question makes sense, and thanks for taking a look!

Cheers,

Kasper

Yes, Helix can do this. However, by default, it spits out PC messages that map to its own presets (01A is PC# 000, 01B is PC# 001, etc.); you'll want to turn this off first:

1. Press MENU and then Knob 6 (Global Settings).
  2. Use the joystick to select the MIDI/Tempo page and turn Knob 4 (MIDI PC Send/Receive) to "Off."

Next, you want to assign specific PC messages to each preset:

1. Press MENU and then Knob 3 (Command Center).
  2. Use the joystick to select one of the Instant (lightning bolt icon) commands. These are messages that are sent instantly when the preset is recalled.
  3. Turn Knob 1 to select "Bank/PC" and then Knobs 2-5 to set the Bank/PC message's values. I don't believe your JMP-1 requires Bank Select messages, so leave Knobs 3 and 4 set to "Off."
  4. Press SAVE twice to save the preset.

Recalling the preset will now transmit that Bank/PC message to your JMP-1.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can see how that method can be useful, but it's not exactly what I wanted to do right now :)

Using your outlined method I would need one Helix patch per sound - and several of those could then map to the same JMP preset.

My current live scenario is more like this: I would have maybe 4 Helix presets, each with a JMP-1 loop enabled, and maybe 5 different JMP-1 patches.

Out of these I set up 10 different permutations.

None of my devices are considered "master" of a sound, and they would be connected with midi-through. In a sense my FCB1010 midi controller is the "master" of the sounds. Each device simply need to react to a specific PC message to recall a preset - and each device must be able to recall the same preset from multiple different PC messages.

So:

Helix receives PC32 -> it recalls preset 1

Helix receives PC33 -> it also recalls preset 1

What is unclear to me is if Helix is hard-coded so each incoming PC command always recalls the corresponding Helix patch?

Cheers,

Kasper

What is unclear to me is if Helix is hard-coded so each incoming PC command always recalls the corresponding Helix patch?

The Helix's MIDI map for receiving MIDI messages is fixed, so, no you can't have different PC message recall the same preset.

You would need to get something like the MIDI Solutions Event Processor or Event Processor Plus to do that with the Helix. (http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm) That would let filter a range of PC messages down to one PC message.

I take it you're looking using the Helix rack? If you're using the floor, you'd probably be better off using the Helix as the controller to take control of the JMP-1. That would be a simpler way to go.

Ok, bummer - but thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah, I'm looking at the rack unit. The floor version is a sweet piece of gear, but I need the cabling to be as simple as possible when setting up. So rack seems the way to go for me...

Not necessarily a deal breaker though... I guess I could live with duplicating a couple of live presets in Helix.

Or, I just remembered the FCB1010 midi controller is actually also programmable - so as long as I can have the Helix listen to a specific midi channel (which I'm sure is possible) I could program the midi controller to send the correct Helix PC commands. I just always preferred to keep things as simple as possible so it's easy to swap components out.

Maybe a proper midi mapping feature on the Helix could be something for the future? ;)

Ah, got it. No, there's no MIDI mapping for incoming PC messages, as Helix (or Helix Rack with Helix Control) is designed to be the centerpiece/master control of your entire rig. Its control functionality is considerably more powerful (and immensely easier to use!) than the B@#$%ger.

Now excuse me while I crawl into the corner, sobbing.

Okay, I'm back with the only sales hat I ever wear: Helix Control.

There are so many editing, navigation, control, and visual feedback features you'd be missing out on (not to mention future stuff we can't yet talk about!)—Helix Control is easily 50% of what makes Helix Rack a Helix. At one point, I pushed to have Helix Rack and Control sold only as a bundle. In fact, if I won the lottery, I'd just buy Helix Control for every Helix Rack owner. It's that important. :)

Ha ha - yeah, I get that ;)

And the controls, both on the floor unit and the Helix Control, is definitely very cool and powerful - no doubt about that!

But, I got to be honest with you - cried a little when I saw that for some reason the Helix Control doesn't have a built-in expression pedal like the floor version of the Helix :(

I need the rack version for a couple of reasons. One is the pre-amp and other rack gear, another is space in my tiny "home studio" environment. The rack unit just fit in better there, with easy access to the front controls.

So the controller is just for playing live... so since there is no built-in expression pedal on the Helix Control I can live with something simple like the fcb1010. 

Looking forward to learning about those secret new features though!

Ha ha - yeah, I get that ;)

And the controls, both on the floor unit and the Helix Control, is definitely very cool and powerful - no doubt about that!

But, I got to be honest with you - cried a little when I saw that for some reason the Helix Control doesn't have a built-in expression pedal like the floor version of the Helix :(

You won't miss that built in pedal when you have 2 or 3 Mission pedals sitting by it, and don't forget to get one of them with the toe switch.