Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bypass cab that in amp+cab to use IR

AtomicBlaze

I noticed most of the presets are the combined amp+cab, this makes them kind of a pain to quickly switch out to use a favorite IR while keeping the amp settings.  Is there a quick way to bypass the cab so that I can use an IR, or quickly change the amp+cab to just amp and keep the amp settings.  I would like a way to quickly compare the stock cab with an IR but when patches are built in this way it makes it difficult.  I am thinking of adding this to ideascale.  Is this a pain for everyone else?

For the most part, I don't think anyone is expecting to use the pre-programmed presets for anything other than goofing around or finding individual effects settings, so most people will probably start from scratch or copy/paste and edit the crap out of one of the stock presets. 

• Upvote 1

I noticed most of the presets are the combined amp+cab, this makes them kind of a pain to quickly switch out to use a favorite IR while keeping the amp settings. Is there a quick way to bypass the cab so that I can use an IR, or quickly change the amp+cab to just amp and keep the amp settings. I would like a way to quickly compare the stock cab with an IR but when patches are built in this way it makes it difficult. I am thinking of adding this to ideascale. Is this a pain for everyone else?

Perhaps I misunderstand, but it seems to me that you can do exactly what you want now by using separate amp, cab, and IR blocks. Do not use the amp+cab block. Assign footswitches to turn these three blocks on/off in any combination you want. It only takes a few seconds to modify the factory preset in this way if you want.

For instance, to quickly compare the stock cab to an IR, leave the amp block on. Assign the same footswitch to the stock cab block and the IR block. Save the preset with one of these blocks on and the other off. Then use the footswitch to instantly toggle between these two blocks to compare them.

One thing's for sure - as soon as all the factory presets were modified in this way as a result of an Ideascale submission, you would immediately see a new Ideascale submission to combine the separate amp and cab blocks into an amp+cab block in order to save some DSP.

The way to do both of those things is to use separate amp and cab blocks - not an amp+cab block. The design provides both options; use the amp+cab as a combined unit, or separate them. By choosing the former you are saying you don't want to separate them. If you do, choose the latter setup.

A good analogy would be to consider a combo amp vs. an amp head and separate cab. You decide which setup you want to use/purchase. But having picked the combo amp you don't then try to disassemble the cab from the integrated preamp.

Thanks - now I understand. No further help I can offer though. You can't do that now and it is a reasonable Ideascale suggestion.

I've been doing that manually when necessary. Takes a few seconds to copy/paste the amp+cab block for reference, replace the original with separate amp and cab blocks, replicate the settings in each new block from the reference block, and then delete the copied reference block.

Btw.... You can audition different cabs in an amp+cab block. Just change the cab section.

You can keep amp settings and remove the cab!

You do it in the computer editor, not directly on the helix.

Select the amp+cab block in the editor. Now down below where the lists of the effects and amps are, select AMP, guitar or bass as appropriate, and double click the same exact model amp as the above selected amp+cab. This will replace the block with the same amp settings.

• Upvote 2

Hey fido, great tip! I've almost submitted that on Ideascale more than once, now you're saying it's already in there, very cool. Wish you could do it directly on the Helix itself too, but still awesome.

Select the amp+cab block in the editor. Now down below where the lists of the effects and amps are, select AMP, guitar or bass as appropriate, and double click the same exact model amp as the above selected amp+cab. This will replace the block with the same amp settings.

I didn't know you could do that! Tip of the year!

Nice thanks for the tip!

....and it works the other way. you can add the cab back into the block using the same method.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 5/20/2016 at 5:19 AM, Joepeggio said:

Hi guys,
this method doesn't work with my helix floor. As soon as I select AMP, the amp is replaced without keeping the previous settings... Clicking or double-clicking on the exact same amp doesn't change anything...
Help, please :)
thanks !