Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X with Impulse Responses (used LeCab and Ownhammer)

afedericojr

Hey all,

I gave some Ownhammer (the free 412 Marshall) Impulse Responses a test, and I am thinking that the HD500X isn't really a good option to pair them, so please correct me if I am wrong.

For reference, I tested this using Presonus Eris E5 studio monitors, as well as a Roland KC-550 FRFR amp.

When you disable the cab on the HD500X, it sounds like more than the cab turned off. A preset that previously sounded amazingly full and balanced in bass, mids, and treble, instantly become a quacky low-fi sound with the cab off. Applying the IR via LeCab in Logic Pro X did not resolve that, but simply gave the physic dynamics as expected.

I can definitely give a nod to the cool capabilities of IR's, in which case I really wish I could use them since they add such depth and spacial dynamics, but the only way it sounds partially decent was if I STILL used the HD500X cab in the preset and then applied the IR. 

This unfortunately resulted in an overbaked sound that was muddy and pointless in my opinion. It wouldn't make much sense to tweak the presets to work with that set up, yet be entirely unusable with the IR. My hope was to have the presets work great as is, and then simply turn off the cab model as needed.

Perhaps my time is better spent tweaking the inherent capabilities of the HD500X directly.

Thoughts?

When you turn the cabs off you also turn the mics off. Perhaps it's the mics that are causing your issue?

I was suspicious of that being the case, but I am not sure what to do with the mics to change that. Oddly, when the cab is off, the sound is affected if you alter the mics, but there is no option for no mic! It doesn't make sense to me, as it should shut it off completely. Since the IR is the wav form representation including whatever mic was used, wouldn't that be all I need?

Not sure what to do at this point.

Idk, I've gotten great tones with IRs with and without the HDs cabs on. Try some different IRs.

With cabs off, the mics don't affect the sound but there is a silence or a click or something (it's been a while) when you try to select a different mic.

• Upvote 1

Idk, I've gotten great tones with IRs with and without the HDs cabs on. Try some different IRs.

With cabs off, the mics don't affect the sound but there is a silence or a click or something (it's been a while) when you try to select a different mic.

Maybe that is what I heard. I'll give it another try.