Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to digital and FRFR

syngen1790

Hi all

Well, I turned 40 just last month and when searching for a present for my wife to buy me I saw some great reviews of the Helix. Job sorted and she kindly purchased one for me. At that time I had been a Les Paul plugged directly into a Marshall for years, but I had always heard great things about such products as the AXE-FX but couldn't justify the £2500 for one as I would then need a power amp and speakers etc etc.

Anyway, once I got the Helix home I decided that I wanted to utilise the full capabilities of it and purchased an FRFR speaker (the recently released Matrix FR12) after some research on them. So now I'm set up with the gear, but still with no idea. I purchased all the patches from Glenn Delaune (who I have to say has been top notch with his individual support for sorting out so that the patches work correctly) and set about getting some cracking tones!

My query is, am I getting those cracking tones or do any of you have any tips for improving them (I know tones are subjective, but I'm speaking generally), global EQ, EQ in individual patches, rolling off high end etc etc.

In fact any tips for a relative newbie to all this technology would be most welcome. I don't want to know everything, but perhaps between you all you could come up with a top ten tips for new users of Helix. Apologies if this has already been done, but there's a lot of posts to read through!

Thanks

Mark

My point is that I don't want to be specific. I want some generic tips that people use and perhaps it will develop into a list as people might all end up doing the same sort of adjustments in order to get the best out of the unit.

Low and high cut on the cabs or IRs is used by many when going into FRFR speaker. Seems like 75 - 100 for the low cut is common, and for high cut just listen for high end harshness and keep going down until it gets better (too low and it will sound dull).

-Max

By 'cracking tones', do you mean really good sounding tones or do you mean that there's a nasty and undesirable sound like something cracking? (Blimey, the ocean between us sometimes makes terms confusing, eh?)

Aw... shucks... seriously, some other folks have some great stuff in that one thread.

But here's one I've been lucky to learn that most people won't do.

I'm a beta tester for the rack (and we've been lucky enough to find some NASTY bugs that none of y'all have had to deal with, I hope) and whenever I get a new beta build, I start from nothing and re-build my favorite patches from scratch to really test it out. At this point, I have my own particular EQ points memorized after all that! I also, currently, am only using ONE amp for every single preset. The Matchless channel 1 (or Jump) into either a dual cab 4x10/Dr. Z 2 x 12 or just the Z.

silverhead, ha ha ha. That's very true, I should refrain from using my colloquialisms on here! I mean 'good' as opposed to 'crackling'. Although if I do get one of those ill let you all know!

Thanks for the replies so far, especially the link to that post where's there a whole host of ideas!